New menu items added to Sabatini's Italian Trattoria

canadarocks

I much prefer the new Trattoria menu, but it sounds like it won't be available on my upcoming cruise on the Royal. The Princess website says it's "Available on Caribbean Princess, Grand Princess, Regal, Princess, Coral Princess, Star Princess, Golden Princess and Sky Princess (October 2019)."  https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, candide333 said:

Wonderful improvement. We haven’t tried Sabatini’s in a while  because of a very disappointing meal. I look forward to enjoying many of the new options. Now, I hope the Crown Grill menu is updated. The appetizers and desserts are so so. 

Glad it’s not just me who feels this way about the Crown Grill. Cannot understand how people choose to eat there multiple times per cruise. Such a boring limited menu.

• Like 2

It is weird to me how they can change the MDR menus all the time but they keep the specialty dining the same for such long stretches of time. I wonder what is the reason for this?  Why not change it every couple years to keep it fresh.  I mean, ideally they could rotate the menu a few times per cruise but it seems that would be asking a lot of Princess.  Repeat cruisers get bored when it's always the same.  It is easy to have eaten everything that is desirable on the menu and then there are no new choices.  

25 minutes ago, junglejane said:

I much prefer the new Trattoria menu, but it sounds like it won't be available on my upcoming cruise on the Royal. The Princess website says it's "Available on Caribbean Princess, Grand Princess, Regal, Princess, Coral Princess, Star Princess, Golden Princess and Sky Princess (October 2019)."  https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Please make it August on the Caribbean Princess!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, cruiserdru said:

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Please make it August on the Caribbean Princess!!!!!!

Pretty sure the October 2019 is just referring to the Sky Princess. The new menu is already on the Caribbean. 🙂 

Just made two reservations (two different nights) on the Regal for an October sailing and I did NOT look at the menu prior to doing so. I will have to wait to see if this menu is all that great since it looks very much like the menus in a couple of local restaurants only in very abbreviated form.

Admittedly those restaurants are landlocked so hopefully we will end up enjoying the experience

When I review menu revamps, I am, mostly, concerned with entrees.  Maybe I'm weird.

We regularly visit the Crown Grill when we cruise.  It's OK, but I think it is far from great, and I have often thought that I wish they would update their menu.  In giving thought to what menu changes I would make, I, pretty much, draw a blank.  It's a steak and chop place.  They offer steaks and chops.  What can the do to change the menu?  The only thing that I can think of is adding Prime Rib.

Thankfully, they do offer two seafood entrees--Sea Bass and the Mussel Pot--both of which are excellent.

I do know they took a Pork Chop off the menu.  I had that a few years ago, but I know it is no longer on the menu.  I think they switched a Veal Chop in for that.

I also know that they have, in fact, changed the "Starters" portion of the menu over the years.  For example, they used to have a Grilled Scallops starter that was outstanding--big fat scallops.  They still have a scallops starter, but I don't enjoy it as much.   They have had different versions of a shrimp appetizer, over the years.  A beef tartare starter has been added, and I think that it is pretty good.  (On the flip side there was a guy here on Cruise Critic about a year ago who wailed at how terrible it was, though.)  My "go to" is the Shrimp Bisque.  I really don't know how long that has been on the menu.

Also, a few years ago they went to the Norman Love desserts.  I thought that was an abomination.  My favorite Princess dessert was the Berry Cobbler served in the Crown Grill.  Some years ago, after an uninspiring Pork Chop I was really looking forward to the Berry Cobbler.  When the server told me that they no longer offered that, my heart dropped.  I know that a lot of people enjoy the Crown Grill desserts.  So, I am thinking that the move was a good one for Princess.

We will continue to visit the Crown Grill and the other Specialty Restaurants on future cruises.  All menu changes will be evaluated individually.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:40 AM, canadarocks said:

This menu looks exciting. We are on the Sky in March of 2020, and we will be eating here.  I still have great memories of our dinners at Sabatini's. One time on one of our Mediterranean cruises, we happened to eat at Sabatini's the night we stopped in Naples. They told us, they just picked up fresh Burrata that day in town and it was amazing!  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

When I review menu revamps, I am, mostly, concerned with entrees.  Maybe I'm weird.

We regularly visit the Crown Grill when we cruise.  It's OK, but I think it is far from great, and I have often thought that I wish they would update their menu.  In giving thought to what menu changes I would make, I, pretty much, draw a blank.  It's a steak and chop place.  They offer steaks and chops.  What can the do to change the menu?  The only thing that I can think of is adding Prime Rib.

Thankfully, they do offer two seafood entrees--Sea Bass and the Mussel Pot--both of which are excellent.

I do know they took a Pork Chop off the menu.  I had that a few years ago, but I know it is no longer on the menu.  I think they switched a Veal Chop in for that.

I also know that they have, in fact, changed the "Starters" portion of the menu over the years.  For example, they used to have a Grilled Scallops starter that was outstanding--big fat scallops.  They still have a scallops starter, but I don't enjoy it as much.   They have had different versions of a shrimp appetizer, over the years.  A beef tartare starter has been added, and I think that it is pretty good.  (On the flip side there was a guy here on Cruise Critic about a year ago who wailed at how terrible it was, though.)  My "go to" is the Shrimp Bisque.  I really don't know how long that has been on the menu.

Also, a few years ago they went to the Norman Love desserts.  I thought that was an abomination.  My favorite Princess dessert was the Berry Cobbler served in the Crown Grill.  Some years ago, after an uninspiring Pork Chop I was really looking forward to the Berry Cobbler.  When the server told me that they no longer offered that, my heart dropped.  I know that a lot of people enjoy the Crown Grill desserts.  So, I am thinking that the move was a good one for Princess.

We will continue to visit the Crown Grill and the other Specialty Restaurants on future cruises.  All menu changes will be evaluated individually.

Do you know if Crown Grill Sous Vide their proteins?

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

50 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Enjoy.

I am, certainly, not expert, but I have no reason to believe that they do.

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Enjoy.

I believe that this might be a bit of a goose for the board?

Boiled meat in a plastic bag....uh no thanks.  But then on reflection, we have pastrami and corned beef and could we not include pot roast all without the bag. Never mind.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tailspintom said:

I believe that this might be a bit of a goose for the board?

Boiled meat in a plastic bag....uh no thanks.  But then on reflection, we have pastrami and corned beef and could we not include pot roast all without the bag. Never mind.

Are you certain Sous Vide cooking technique is protein boiled in a bag?  You mean at temperature that is 212 degrees F or above?   🤔

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

Sous Vide cooking technique does not usually involve boiling. You can bring a product to a certain temperature and hold it. Cook your steak to 110 and when ready to serve give it some grill marks on the broiler if desired. This can be done with any protein or vegetable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Enjoy.

I doubt it. They would say if they do. I was on another line that specifically said it for proteins that were.

I'm confused . There are 2 Sabatini's menus up on the Princess specialty restaurant site .

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/

The first one listed, previously posted here says $25 PP .Cover charge of $25/person includes one selection

The second one has a $29 price .

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Sabatinis-Menu-Sample.pdf

BUON APPETITO Cover charge $29 per person.

Why are there 2 Sabatini menus with 2 prices ?

Edited to say I found the reason . Princess has 2 versions depending on which ship you are on .

A bit silly that the prices and menus are different but there ya go . 

Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria†† Caribbean, Coral, Grand, Golden, Regal, Sky, Star Princess Specialty Sea Days 7:30am–10:30am Complimentary breakfast for suites only. Port Days 7:30am–9:30am Complimentary breakfast for suites only. N/A 5:30pm–10:00pm Opening times subject to change dependent upon itinerary. $25 per person (adults & children over 12 years of age) $12.50 per person (children 3–12 years old) No charge (children 0–2 years old)

Sabatini’s†† Crown, Diamond, Island, Pacific, Royal, Sapphire Princess Specialty Sea Days 7:30am to 10:30am Complimentary breakfast for suites only. Port Days 7:30am to 9:30am Complimentary breakfast for suites only. N/A 5:30pm–10:00pm Opening times subject to change dependent upon itinerary. $29 per person (adults & children over 12 years of age) $14.50 per person (children 3–12 years old) No charge (children 0–2 years old)

Edited by richstowe
Aha
  • Like 1

Sabatini’s was great , way back, they did change a lot now again it has a limit on what they serve paying the (Cover Charge) decreased charge now. But they provide a lot less.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/sabatinis-trattoria/sabatinis-trattoria-main-menu.pdf

Did anyone notice the Soup/Salad section yet?  Not one Soup is listed here?

Now those wonderful scallops are in a PARCEL.

Mediterranean Seafood Parcel*grouper, shrimp, scallops, black mussels, clams wrapped in parchment and delicately steamed in fish stock alongwith sliced potato and wine-poached artichoke.

Cover charge of $25/person includes one selection from each course.

Please enjoy any additional pasta or main course for $10 each.

21 minutes ago, AAAAmerican said:

Sabatini’s was great , way back, they did change a lot now again it has a limit on what they serve paying the (Cover Charge) decreased charge now. But they provide a lot less.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/sabatinis-trattoria/sabatinis-trattoria-main-menu.pdf

Did anyone notice the Soup/Salad section yet?  Not one Soup is listed here?

Now those wonderful scallops are in a PARCEL.

Mediterranean Seafood Parcel*grouper, shrimp, scallops, black mussels, clams wrapped in parchment and delicately steamed in fish stock alongwith sliced potato and wine-poached artichoke.

Cover charge of $25/person includes one selection from each course.

Please enjoy any additional pasta or main course for $10 each.

Excellent.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AAAAmerican said:

In my first look at the new menu, I did not read the details of this dish very closely.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

This sounds SO GOOD.  I love seafood in parchment.  Or when I do it on the backyard grill, seafood in non-stick aluminum foil.  😉

• Like 1

I am excited to see the changes are on the Grand. We are sailing her in March with another couple that we have sailed two other Princess cruises. I am the only “ foodie” in the group, so the addition of some more traditional entrees will be appealing to the rest of the group.  I was the only one who wanted to eat there last Cruise with the old menu...so we didn’t 😕.    I think this is a good mix of traditional and new takes on Italian food.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dforeigner said:

Not any more.  You only get to pick one item from each course.

In your opinion, if one orders only one item  of each course selection, is that enough food to eat?  

Is there a time limit how long one can stay to eat the meal?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 minute ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

If one orders one of each course selection, is that enough food to eat?  

Is there a time limit how long one can stay to eat the meal?

it is a four course meal (including soup or salad, and dessert).  Should not go hungry.

• Like 1