Specialty Dining - Is it worth it

latebuyer

On 4/26/2019 at 2:31 AM, kazu said:

Yesterday was our Sea Day and 1st Gala Night of this segment.

Our Meet and greet was at 10:30 and we had an excellent turnout.  Just two couples missing.

One couple had missed the ship 😞. They had flown in for the day of the cruise and missed their connection in Frankfurt.  They got to Rome too late to make the ship so they will be catching it today in Alicante.  Such a shame when that happens.

After the meet and greet we went to the captain’s day room for a brief reception and then to the Pinnacle Grill for our lunch.  YUM!

We hadn’t done lunch here yet so we were looking forward to it.

The prawn bruschetta:

839E9CB3-8365-4311-A65F-316337000ADA.thumb.jpeg.abca39057e97d21316cef5eef965a878.jpeg

The carpaccio: 

0B869BFB-5C65-41B5-8918-2158F56752DF.thumb.jpeg.c44e18926ea98567d64d84a71379b31a.jpeg

Crab cakes:

06208F9C-D173-4AA8-809B-9DC21BBEB88B.thumb.jpeg.331005670bc07765e7bef259dd2b2244.jpeg

Salmon - it was excellent

ED959247-DC37-4663-A829-47D911383444.thumb.jpeg.294f69dc66c7e8dff2201af80c21f887.jpeg

Blackened cod sandwich:

9898FDE9-15D9-483C-B045-FC7867AF0A47.thumb.jpeg.c02ac93bc9a24c07fcae581d86a698b2.jpeg

6FD292AC-9F7B-4213-9C76-1D1D23AB7CC6.thumb.jpeg.f6ad1b083d36bca2775d5086bb44620d.jpeg

The tenderloin

13D1B17E-F68A-4802-95B8-14C71F69A4AF.thumb.jpeg.b96e45573deb157b823b7ceeabc1528c.jpeg

Our little group:

F3D43F37-2DC9-4BCC-983C-0033850B3F77.thumb.jpeg.7b363df1ec0c5f19ebec95e6e16f27c1.jpeg

The pavlova:

0A3BBF57-953A-409F-BDFE-CD53C86EED80.thumb.jpeg.ce634aba6c0d3994d87016d1047c58fe.jpeg

13C84728-C2A6-41BB-B439-C9275D4E1F82.thumb.jpeg.ab85ff9d490c39580951ec493908ae1e.jpeg

Berries

98426240-1B3C-4C26-BD8B-0278D3BBAD7E.thumb.jpeg.870b43c647365bb3a0edb51d19a6af1d.jpeg

5DB48079-9F37-4502-8418-DF368E95A9D5.thumb.jpeg.3c6e0ae2dacd69bf2eeb01c3fd06152e.jpeg

Everyone enjoyed their desserts 🙂 

Cruisemom - we always enjoy the Pinnacle for lunch.

Above are a few pics (with the names) from my recent cruise for our PG lunch.

One thing missing is the hamburger which is really good.  Impossible to finish - at least for me.  

We’ve eaten there a number of times with different roll call members and I can’t remember anyone being displeased.

It’s only $10 so you are not gambling much.

I have found for dinner, that the PG’s can vary ship by ship.  I’ve only been on one where it was not impressive (we cancelled the remainder of our bookings).

For dinner, consider things like the chop, crabs legs or salmon perhaps.  The cioppino (sp?) can be really good too, but I highly suggest asking for a small taste before ordering as some of the ships make it WAY too salty.  Otherwise it is quite good.

Hope this helps 🙂 

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not much of a steak person. I tried the Pinnacle Grill once, and was not that impressed. I am wondering what's on the lunch menu that people enjoy?  Might be worth a try...

Canaletto did not impress me either, but they keep fiddling with the concept -- I guess trying to figure out a way to make the concept work. Unfortunately their idea of Italian and mine do not mesh.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Well, personally I think that lunch in the Pinnacle is great!  My favorite is the Jidori chicken, although most of the other choices are worth the surcharge also IMO.  And everyone here knows that I'm always raving about the strawberry Pavlova for dessert.

I used to LOVE the Pinnacle pavlova, but recently on this year on the Eurodam, Noordam and Westerdam the recipe had changed and the base was hard as a rock, not crisp, but hard. Not the easiest thing to eat with any grace (try stabbing this apart and pieces fly off).  The strawberries and whipping cream are still good, though!

4 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

I used to LOVE the Pinnacle pavlova, but recently on this year on the Eurodam, Noordam and Westerdam the recipe had changed and the base was hard as a rock, not crisp, but hard. Not the easiest thing to eat with any grace (try stabbing this apart and pieces fly off).  The strawberries and whipping cream are still good, though!

Been busy this year so haven't cruised since last October on Eurodam but, yes, the same thing happened to me a couple of times on that ship. I think the rest of the time they were OK.  I'll be on Volendam and perhaps Amsterdam in a couple of months so I'll keep trying.  Can't give up on them now....although I HAVE finally given up on the microwaved "baked" potatoes 😕.  Don't want to hijack this thread but there have been so many changes -- from the Crow's Nest to the libraries to the Yum Yum Man not chiming us into fixed seating any more -- that if the PG pavlovas are permanently ruined I'll probably eschew the dam ships. <-- can't believe my computer said that 😉.

Edited by Av8rix

3 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Been busy this year so haven't cruised since last October on Eurodam but, yes, the same thing happened to me a couple of times on that ship, I think the rest of the time they were OK.  I'll be on Volendam and perhaps Amsterdam in a couple of months so I'll keep trying.  Can't give up on them now....although I HAVE finally given up on the microwaved "baked" potatoes 😕.  Don't want to hijack this thread but there have been so many changes -- from the Crow's Nest to the libraries to the Yum Yum Man not chiming us into fixed seating any more -- that if the PG pavlovas are permanently ruined I'll probably eschew the dam ships. <-- can't believe my computer said that 😉.

I was pretty mad myself about the pavlovas!  With two complimentary Pinnacles dinners per cruise, I don't care so much, but if I were paying.........

How could they completely ruin such a basic dessert?! The original was SO superior!

• Like 1

I don't think PG is worth it to pay that much over what is usually a fine dinner in MDR or even Lido. But I have had two dinners there as part of Explore4, and these were my observations:

August 2018, Zaandam, Alaska: Ribeye was fatty (not marbled, fatty). The lamb and crab legs looked like the better entrees (in my group of nine). Service was better in the MDR where we were fixed time but in my-time dining room. 

April 2019, Zuiderdam, leaving FLL: Lamb was pretty good -- quite a bit better than lamb when available in MDR. Service was fine.

Canaletto, June 2016, Volendam, Alaska -- family style for group of six, so got to try many things. Very tasty (and DH & I don't eat pasta but I did have gnocchi) and a fun atmosphere. A lot of people pan it for being a corner of the Lido Buffet, but we forgot that while there, it was very restaurant like. 

The recent menus for Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto are available on Roger Jett's website. He is @Crew News  on CC.

PG Dinner

PG Lunch

Canaletto

updated as of June 2019

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Cruisemom - we always enjoy the Pinnacle for lunch.

Above are a few pics (with the names) from my recent cruise for our PG lunch.

One thing missing is the hamburger which is really good.  Impossible to finish - at least for me.  

We’ve eaten there a number of times with different roll call members and I can’t remember anyone being displeased.

It’s only $10 so you are not gambling much.

I have found for dinner, that the PG’s can vary ship by ship.  I’ve only been on one where it was not impressive (we cancelled the remainder of our bookings).

For dinner, consider things like the chop, crabs legs or salmon perhaps.  The cioppino (sp?) can be really good too, but I highly suggest asking for a small taste before ordering as some of the ships make it WAY too salty.  Otherwise it is quite good.

Hope this helps 🙂 

Thanks Jacqui -- very promising. I hope to give it a try on Westerdam next April. 

Agree with those above suggesting Pinnacle for lunch on a sea day.  Just confirm when you board the days it will be offered and make your reservations.  We never do Pinnacle for dinner any more, except when have a freebie like on our next cruise.  We do like Canaletto and usually go there more often since it is very reasonable with our Mariner discount. I like the seafood stew at Canaletto which is similar to Cioppino at Pinnacle but better tasting in my opinion.  Food likes/dislikes are so personal as others have noted, that what I love you might not.  Food in MDR on most HAL ships is quite good, and the Lido offers several items from MDR menu each night also. We have taken to eating in Lido at least half of the time on recent cruises. A lot of times just can't do another heavy meal and Lido has such nice salads and cheese/fruit plates which we enjoy.  Also be aware that HAL still offers free room service from MDR menu.  Just call around 4:30 OR 5:00 and order and give them your requested delivery time.  For some reason they like you to call and order around this time, even though you might want a 7 or 8 o'clock delivery. I loved the new Navigator app on our last cruise as you can pull up the daily menus.  Used to have to go down to MDR after lunch and take a picture of that night's menu so I could see what they were having. The picture was so I could remember what they were having to tell DH or if wanted order room service.  Haha.

Have a good cruise.  Enjoy.

Jane

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, jabcruiser said:

Also be aware that HAL still offers free room service from MDR menu.  Just call around 4:30 OR 5:00 and order and give them your requested delivery time.  For some reason they like you to call and order around this time, even though you might want a 7 or 8 o'clock delivery.

Jane

I thought that you had to wait until the MDR was open to call to do this?

Welcome to cruising and Holland America, @christinand!  You have made a great choice and I hope you love it as much as we do.

For a first-time cruiser I would do the Main Dining Room with the fixed seating each night.  This gives your servers a chance to get to know you and your preferences and really gives you the whole cruising experience.  The servers are amazing and will bend over backwards for you. If you are booked in Anytime dining then stop by the reservations desk and see if they can fit you into a regular time and table.  It is well worth it.

I would not go to the Canaletto on your first cruise.  I have given it a few tries and have never been impressed with the service or the food.  I will never waste my money there again.

Definitely try the Pinnacle Grill for lunch.  It is well worth the minimal cost and will give you an opportunity to determine whether it is somewhere you would enjoy for dinner.  Stay away from the rib-eye.  It is tough and gristly and a huge disappointment.  They should be ashamed of themselves for serving this.  Definitely try the petite filet.  It is consistently tender and flavorful.  The shrimps they serve as an appy are huge!  In the past I have always enjoyed those.  Except they recently changed the menu and now they come split on a long plate instead of whole in a shrimp cocktail so I did not enjoy them as much.  

Please come back and tell us of your experience.  We would love to hear about it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, christinand said:

Actually one more question - is the main dining room ever open for lunch. I read somewhere there is a solo table set up at lunch.

Yes, it is usually open for lunch on sea days.  

On 7/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, avian777 said:

Spot on, Donald - thanks for the clarity you brought to the discussion.  BTW care to share some advice on whether/when to buy/sell CCL stock?  Thanks again!

It will come back!  Hopefully, she says.

25 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

The one Pinnacle dinner that we thought was really worth it is the seafood one (can't think  of the name).  They had Dover sole meuniere on the menu, and it was delicious.  Well worth it.

Sel de Mer has Dover Sole and it is well done

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:15 PM, SilvertoGold said:

A possible alternative is the steak in the Pinnacle at lunch:  $10.00  

Main Dining room is fine and has filet on Gala Nights.

On a different vessel in February, but I had lunch at the Pinnacle...at $10.00, well worth it! Be aware though, the lunches at the Pinnacle are on sea days only.

4 hours ago, SweetsugarNL said:

Can you order only one thing a course?

At the Specialty Restaurants, you can order more than one item for both appetizers and desserts.  Only a single entree is permtted without an extra charge.

For the Main Dining Room, you can order multiples of anything:  three soups, two salads, four desserts, three entrees, etc.

The President's Cut is no longer served in the Pinnacle grill but is available in the Main Dining Room for an additional charge.  Here is a copy of the President's Cut that I shared with the Konigsdam Hotel Director last December:

image.png.93b9ec377f1216b92a17d5457fdeca15.png

My portion with available sauces.

image.png.aeb03b9ed773568eb872af57d88d3aeb.png

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2

We had our first cruise on HA this past May.  We did everything in terms of dinner, just depended on the night...ate in port, went to the MDR, and also used the speciality restaurants.  We really enjoyed our meals at Rudi's, and Pinnacle Grill, and would not hesitate to eat there again on a future cruise.  We were not fans of Canaletto (food and service were both not great on our ship - Noordam).

Edited by CutieKakes