Getting off ship after embarkation in Sidney?

rogueriver

We will be boarding the Golden in Sidney in April and have never been in that port nor cruised with Princess before.  We have read about The Rocks and would like to spend a little time walking around the area since it is so close to the dock.  Are we allowed to get off the ship after embarkation for a couple hours and then return to the ship? 

Cannot answer you question specifically, but given the distance you have to travel to Sidney, suggest you get there a couple of days before.  This would give you time to explore not to mention adjust to the significant time difference.

47 minutes ago, racj846 said:

Cannot answer you question specifically, but given the distance you have to travel to Sidney, suggest you get there a couple of days before.  This would give you time to explore not to mention adjust to the significant time difference.

Thanks for the advice.  We are planning to arrive a couple days early in order to acclimate to the time difference.  We'll try to do a little sightseeing but thought we would save The Rocks for departure day since it is so close to the ship.  We've never been to Australia, so very excited for the trip (just not looking forward to the flight!)

• Like 1

The Rocks specifically is not a large area.  You might consider going to the ship and dropping off bags with porters and then have a walk around and return later to check in.  It takes until late in the morning before boarding begins.  We spent our time the morning of the cruise walking around the area, including the gardens and didn't bother heading to the terminal until about 2pm.  By the time you board, your bags will be at the cabin waiting for you.

PS - It's SYDNEY.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

The Rocks specifically is not a large area.  You might consider going to the ship and dropping off bags with porters and then have a walk around and return later to check in.  It takes until late in the morning before boarding begins.  We spent our time the morning of the cruise walking around the area, including the gardens and didn't bother heading to the terminal until about 2pm.  By the time you board, your bags will be at the cabin waiting for you.

PS - It's SYDNEY.

I believe this is an excellent suggestion and would do that for sure if I was going to board in Sydney again.

1 hour ago, rogueriver said:

Thanks for the advice.  We are planning to arrive a couple days early in order to acclimate to the time difference.  We'll try to do a little sightseeing but thought we would save The Rocks for departure day since it is so close to the ship.  We've never been to Australia, so very excited for the trip (just not looking forward to the flight!)

The Circular Quay area is a great place.

Ferry across the Harbor,

There is a glass enclosed elevator

up to the elevated road way.

Great place to get a panoramic photo

of the Harbor, Opera House, Bridge.

FWIW I spent a day at the Rocks walked to Opera House through a park to the Museum to see Aboriginal art. (Favorite piece below) It was an all day walk. Could have climbed Bridge from there but I did that another day. 80% of what I remember most was near the Quay. 

20180301_135210_7_bestshot.jpg

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I could be wrong, but I thought that in Australia, once one embarked it was not possible to debark again.

The one occasion we tried it, we were not allowed to. I suggest checking this before boarding. The difficulty I see is that the people who would refuse to allow you to go ashore again are not those you would see when checking in.

I suggest you post this question on the 'Australian and NZ Cruisers' section of this forum. One of our regular posters works at the Overseas Passenger Terminal so he would be the best person here to give you a definitive answer.

Edited by Aus Traveller

We have boarded in Sydney many times and apparently there is a rule that is issued by Australian Immigration that once on board you cannot go ashore. It is a different matter if you are in transit but if you are joining a cruise, it is definitely not on.

Why don't you fly into Sydney a day or so earlier and stay near the Rocks area. Our favourite hotel for boarding a ship especially if it is leaving from Circular Quay is the Four Seasons.  Otherwise, there is the Marriott near by and if you do not want to pay those prices then there is the boutique Russell Hotel which is right in the Rocks.

https://www.therussell.com.au/

If you stay at those hotels, you do not need a taxi to get to the ship.  We trundle our cases down to the ship around 10.30am and leave them with the porters, then we have quite a few hours to fill in the time.  Checkout at the Four Seasons is 12 noon so once we have checked out, we go down with our carry ons and board the ship. Otherwise, you could leave them with the hotel and go off and explore until 2pm or later.

We love the Rocks market which is on a Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. It is fun to peruse and perhaps buy a few things.  Enjoy, Sydney is a great city.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I could be wrong, but I thought that in Australia, once one embarked it was not possible to debark again.

I think you're right.   It used to be possible, but sometime about 3-4 years ago, I believe the new ruling went into effect.    

In the case of looking to leave the ship, how would the shore-side security and/or customs know whether a passenger coming from the ship is an in-transit or originating?  Seems odd if some people can come and go, that others cannot.

2 hours ago, Kartgv said:

I think you're right.   It used to be possible, but sometime about 3-4 years ago, I believe the new ruling went into effect.    

It was 2011 that we were told we couldn't go ashore after boarding. The Immigration officer told us it was because we had "left the country".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

In the case of looking to leave the ship, how would the shore-side security and/or customs know whether a passenger coming from the ship is an in-transit or originating?  Seems odd if some people can come and go, that others cannot.

People in transit have a card identifying them as such. On the occasion we wanted to go ashore, the Immigration officer also had a list of names of the people who doing both cruises.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

People in transit have a card identifying them as such. On the occasion we wanted to go ashore, the Immigration officer also had a list of names of the people who doing both cruises.

Oh, right.  I have had one of those slips on a North American B2B.  Anyway, I guess people better not forget something when going on board.

If you have time take the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly Beach...a really pretty area to walk around ...there is a nice walking path along the ocean (facing water head to the right) with some very nice views.

We have cruised in and out of Sydney on 3 different cruise lines, and I’m sure once you have boarded you cannot leave .You could drop your luggage off and check in later. It is a very easy walk to the Rocks area. 

Thank you all for the fantastic advice and tips - very helpful!  And sorry to all you Aussies for misspelling Sydney.  My brain knew better so I blame it on my fingers! Can't wait to see your beautiful city.

You CANNOT get off the ship once you have boarded because you have to go through Customs and Border Security.

However why not leave your luggage at the ship and enjoy the day in Sydney.

If you decide to do this remember to take your passports and boarding docs with you.

Check final times for boarding or also take your camera so you can get a lovely picture of the ship sailing away !!

FWIW.  Sailed out of Sydney on HAL Oosterdam on 2 Feb. 2014 and were allowed off the ship after checking in, boarding, and dropping off carry-on.  Don't think cruise line would have made a difference, but general rules may have changed since then.

The Rocks is a fun neighborhood to explore and sail away from Sydney is spectacular.

8 hours ago, S1drfl said:

FWIW.  Sailed out of Sydney on HAL Oosterdam on 2 Feb. 2014 and were allowed off the ship after checking in, boarding, and dropping off carry-on.  Don't think cruise line would have made a difference, but general rules may have changed since then.

The Rocks is a fun neighborhood to explore and sail away from Sydney is spectacular.

Yes, the rules have changed. We  did a cruise from the Overseas Passenger Terminal in March 2015 and there were signs all over the terminal stating that you couldn't leave the ship once you had embarked. From comments I heard it was a new policy then. I can't recall seeing those notices on subsequent cruises from the OPT but I'm fairly sure that policy is still in place.