Have Princess Cruise Prices Gone Up

mcrcruiser

23 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

What is your opinion

By and large cruise prices are going up.  They are trying to get creative on deals and such to try to make it seem less like a price increase, but generally yes, prices are going up all the time.  Prices also change regularly and the deals get better or worse regularly, so you have to really keep on top of it.

Prices are always higher in Australia for two main reasons. 

Firstly our dollar is at an all time low and secondly, cruises in and around Australia factor in the gratuities as they’re not charged onboard.

• Like 1

I’ve kept spreadsheet on my 12 on Princess Cruises sailed since December 2015 and the 7 future cruises booked through 2020. I am not seeing a price increase. Of course some itineraries do get higher prices than others but my like to like (Mexico to mexico , Alaska to Alaska etc)comparisons are stable. 

• Like 1

I prefer to rate products/services (such as cruises) from a total value vs. total cost perspective.

Surveys have been done at restaurants that are looking at ways to improve margins.  When the issue of how customers may respond to raising prices, studies have shown that patrons prefer to pay a little more for their 10 OZ. steak than to pay the same (existing) price for a smaller 8 OZ. steak.   

One could reasonably understand the need to raise rates to mirror the rate of inflation, however, Princess has also simultaneously made a multitude of cuts in recent years.

Princess cruisers are now paying more for less, instead of paying more for the same.

Edited by Skai
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, antsp said:

Cruise £749, flight to Miami is £404, flight from Copenhagen £60. Unless you only sail from Southampton I thinks it’s a good deal. The cruise itself is only £53 pppn

That's a better price than I can find in US by about $200,  I did have a poke around UK agents but couldn't find your deal, can't have been looking in the right place.

I see the interbank rate on the pound has just dropped heavily today as a result of increased fear of a hard BREXIT $1.21.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:14 PM, pjrockman said:

Agree.  And maybe some of the standards/amenities/decorum that we originally chose Princess for will return.  Sorry, but one of my biggest pet peeves is some who choose to be in the dining area and elevators in swimsuits....sometimes even wet.  I’m not talking about kids, either.  Just my personal opinion, but that really does remind me of a different cruise line.

This isn’t meant to be elitist in any way, just an acknowledgement that there are a variety of cruise lines for many different types of cruisers.  After trying the different ones, we chose Princess because of the particular types of atmosphere, amenities, decor and decorum.

I am merely agreeing with neverbeenhere in his observation that the recent stagnant, even decreasing, prices on Princess have contributed to the changing standards.

Safe Journeys, Paul

Yup. Completely agree. It was very well noticed on my most recent CB sailing a few weeks. 

5 hours ago, Skai said:

I prefer to rate products/services (such as cruises) from a total value vs. total cost perspective.

Surveys have been done at restaurants that are looking at ways to improve margins.  When the issue of how customers may respond to raising prices, studies have shown that patrons prefer to pay a little more for their 10 OZ. steak than to pay the same (existing) price for a smaller 8 OZ. steak.   

One could reasonably understand the need to raise rates to mirror the rate of inflation, however, Princess has also simultaneously made a multitude of cuts in recent years.

Princess cruisers are now paying more for less, instead of paying more for the same.

We just came off a 14day Cunard transatlantic which cost  us no more than a Princess one now does ($699 days are gone now its nearly double usually now) and the difference in quality of the food was very noticeable, we were in the third class dining room and the meals were similar to Princess but just better, service was better than it now is on Princess as the waiters had less tables to look after, , and in the buffet on QM2 this week it was so much better than Princess both in quality and presentation.

However crew were not as friendly even though the demographics of the crew now seemed the same as on Princess instead of being mostly European like in the past on Cunard.

Oh and the beds on QM2 were like sleeping on a cloud, way more comfortable than even the new Princess ones, even though we were in a regular cabin not an expensive one.

Interestingly the passengers were about 1300 British, 900 US, and various other, so British food was easily available in the buffet if you like crumpets, black pudding, kippers etc as well as all the usual international dishes.

We would happily pay more for  a cruise if it meant  better ( like they used to be) meals etc on Princess but find we are actually paying more and getting less quality than a few years ago.

Edited by Griller

I don't know the economics of the fuel costs of the new CNG ships compared to bunker fuel but it should get rid of any soot on balcony problem.

I do feel a little uneasy about sitting on a huge CNG tank.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:57 AM, antsp said:

They are in the US, Princess UK prices are holding steady if not cheaper. 

Once a Princess ship is made Medallion ready..the price goes up 50% to 75% for the same room. This happened last year on the Caribbean Princess and next year on the Ruby.  After sailing on a Medallion ship..not worth the big increase.  

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

Once a Princess ship is made Medallion ready..the price goes up 50% to 75% for the same room. This happened last year on the Caribbean Princess and next year on the Ruby.  After sailing on a Medallion ship..not worth the big increase.  

Absolutely incorrect 

• Like 1

A lot depends on the itinerary. so it's hard to say. However my figures are showing a marked increase in the last year or so for Australian based cruises, but a couple of those are recent bookings for late 2020 and first half 2021 so there is still a chance of fare reductions. 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:44 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

But...don't you have to "buy in" to the time share and pay an annual maintenance fee whether you use it or not?  And may not be able to get rid of it if you tire of it or your circumstances change?

When that's factored in, is it still cheaper for a time share?

If one already owns a timeshare, they're already paying annual maintenance anyway.  I like to cruise and we also have timeshares.  Variety is the spice of life.  Timeshare is much more cost effective when you have a 2 or 3 bedroom timeshare and you are travelling with family and/or friends.  I think comparing timeshares to cruising is like comparing apples to oranges.  I have found timeshares to be preferable to staying in hotels on vacation for a number of reasons. 

We have no cruises booked for the first time since 1989.

The cruise industry's practice of raising prices while reducing the product will not be tolerated by our household.  Acceptable is increases to cover the rising cost of inputs.

It is not just us, our friends who used to cruise, no longer cruise for the same reason.

We are all now doing land tours and often segments include a private guide and car/driver.  Staying at nice hotels and eating in local restaurants is preferable to the sameness of cruising. Often, this can cost a bit more than a cruise, but the value is so amazing given the overall experience.

We have all come out of the cruise trance and are glad of it.

5 hours ago, antsp said:

Absolutely incorrect 

My experiences have been different than yours I guess..Example: booked Caribbean Princess at $4100 after Medallion added it went to $6000+.  (same room)  Booked Ruby for $4500 and after Medallion added it went to $7600. (same room and less OBC) I find these increases unbelievable just for the benefit of the Medallion..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

My experiences have been different than yours I guess..Example: booked Caribbean Princess at $4100 after Medallion added it went to $6000+.  (same room)  Booked Ruby for $4500 and after Medallion added it went to $7600. (same room and less OBC) I find these increases unbelievable just for the benefit of the Medallion..

Not sure what benefit it is to me, I had one several months ago and it didn't even unlock the cabin door reliably.

My two cruises on the Island Princess to Alaska this summer were less than we paid in real dollars than our first Alaskan cruise in 2002. Adjusted for inflation, I went for two weeks solo for less than half the price we paid for one week for the two of us. It can be beneficial to wait until the last minute to book. On the other hand, I think the demand for transatlantics is getting higher, because I don't see the last-minute bargains on them I used to see.