Question about booking a "TBD" guest or changing the name on a reservation

Eli_6

Advice from anyone who has dealt with this before would be appreciated because I am not getting correct information by calling carnival.

I am trying to book and plan a family cruise with multiple people and rooms. It is turning into a nightmare.

My question: Is it possible to change a guest name once you provide it? If so, how much does this cost?  How did you do it?  

Alternatively, have you had a guest as a TBD right up until sailing before? How did you book it?

The issue is we don't know if my stepdad is going to come yet.  Because I am trying to get the rooms together, I want to go ahead and book them and, if necessary, put someone else in his place if he ends up not being able to make it.  (He and my mother have a fraught relationship and they have split up before so that is my concern.) But I am sure my brother or father or a friend will go in his place if he bails. 

Our Carnival "personal vacation planner" is telling me I have to provide the name of all guests AT booking which I know is not correct because on my last booking, I didn't fill in my husband's name until I paid the final deposit. I had him booked as a TBD for months. So, I know it is possible to book a guest "TBD."  This vacation planner has also told me numerous other things that were incorrect such as telling me that a Grand Suite on the Vista does not have Havana access and telling me if I am using a prior Cruise credit, I have to use it at time of first booking. I don't plan to use him again.

The other day, I called Carnival directly on another issue. That person told me that I could book someone TBD until the final payment was due...which I think is probably correct.  She also said if I booked a certain type of ticket (not a VIFP sale) that I could change the name on the ticket for a fee even after the deposit is due, but if I booked a super saver sale ticket, that name could not be changed.

So, I just called back to find out HOW to book someone TBD and the woman I talked to this time just copped an attitude and said, "You just book it how it is already booked."  Only, I don't have the room in question booked yet because I was waiting to hear back from my stepdad on if he was even planning to come at all! She was looking at the room reservations I already have booked which have names on them. I go through the entire explanation above and she keeps just repeating herself and it becomes clear to me she doesn't understand and she is copping an attitude with me so I just politely ended the phone call. For example, when I asked her "when do I have to provide a guest name?" Her response was: "As soon as possible." So, I asked, "What is the latest I can provide a name?" "Before you sail."  So, while that technically may be correct, I suspect there are restrictions on that and potential fees involved and it was clear she didn't want to be bothered by having to explain those...

Sorry this is so long.  All I have learned is that I will never again offer to take my extended family on a cruise again.  One would think they would be grateful considering I am paying...but it's not turning out that way.

Get a TA and have them do it. if you change a name same as redoing the booking. A cancellation and a rebook. You will be charged usually $100.00 However, using a TA and explaining what might occur. They can make sure you get taken care of with the least amount of hassle and cost. So I totally recommend using a TA to book multiple staterooms with a lot of guests.

• Like 2

This was our experiences having booked the Early Saver rate. With the Early Saver rate, they do not allow name changes.

Last year, we were supposed to go on our cruise with another family, three cabins total. My wife & I in one, our son and his three cousins in the second, and the other two parents in the third. They backed out on us about 7 months before the cruise. We decided to let our son take a friend instead. Since we booked Early Saver, which doesn't allow name changes, our PVP had to cancel the kids' cabin, then re-book it with my son alone (he didn't know which friend he'd take at that point). We had to pay the current cruise fare rate since it was technically a new booking. The price did turn out to be more than we had at first, but we didn't have much of a choice. There wasn't a TBD listed in our son's cabin, he was just by himself at first. You have to pay the double-occupancy rate anyway. A couple months later in January (about 5 months before our cruise), we called our PVP back and gave him the name of the friend and he was added no problem.

We're now booked for a March 2020 cruise. Again, Early Saver, and again our son is going to take a friend, but not sure who it will be. We booked this one about a year out and he's not sure who he'd be able to take, but it wasn't a problem. Our PVP booked him in his own cabin by himself for now, and by final payment, we'll give him a name.

So the rate you book will have an affect on what happens if you have to change from one person to another. And it sounds like you need a new PVP.

• Like 1

The way I've accidently done it in the past direct though Carnival is to put a 24 hour hold on a room. When you complete the booking that was held, it defaults to a TBD second person. 

• Like 1

Any time I have booked directly through Carnival.com the only name I have provided is my own. The other 3 people in a 4 person room came up automatically is TBA and my last name. That is how I get around naming people up front and have never had trouble adding names when I was ready.

• Like 2

I've had Evelyn as "TBD" several times, she wasn't fond of the title.  Sometimes, if it was close to final payment, I just put in her VIFP# and all her data came up and I could complete the on line check in.

Other times, booking far out, I just called the Diamond Desk and let them input her name and VIFP #.

If there is any uncertainty about someone cruising, it might be better to leave them as TBD until 90 day prior check in and avoid a name change fee.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Advice from anyone who has dealt with this before would be appreciated because I am not getting correct information by calling carnival.

This is really why a travel agent is the best. 

I am trying to book and plan a family cruise with multiple people and rooms. It is turning into a nightmare.

Don't let it stress you out!  It should be FUN!

My question: Is it possible to change a guest name once you provide it? If so, how much does this cost?  How did you do it?  

It's been about a decade since I've had to do this, but back then it was $400.  I have seen others say it is as low as $100.  A travel agent would 100% be able to get that information for you though.

Alternatively, have you had a guest as a TBD right up until sailing before? How did you book it?

I don't think that works because they have to submit to the government the passenger manifest; you would probably need names and then if need be change them.

The issue is we don't know if my stepdad is going to come yet.  Because I am trying to get the rooms together, I want to go ahead and book them and, if necessary, put someone else in his place if he ends up not being able to make it.  (He and my mother have a fraught relationship and they have split up before so that is my concern.) But I am sure my brother or father or a friend will go in his place if he bails. 

You can always put his name on the reservation and then change it.  Family is complicated. 

Our Carnival "personal vacation planner" is telling me I have to provide the name of all guests AT booking which I know is not correct because on my last booking, I didn't fill in my husband's name until I paid the final deposit. I had him booked as a TBD for months. So, I know it is possible to book a guest "TBD."  This vacation planner has also told me numerous other things that were incorrect such as telling me that a Grand Suite on the Vista does not have Havana access and telling me if I am using a prior Cruise credit, I have to use it at time of first booking. I don't plan to use him again.

This is the problem with PVP, they don't really work for you.  There is also a possibility that the rules/laws have changed and no longer can you make a reservation with TBD.  I quickly looked online, and the fact their own website says Grand Suite guests get access to Havana is just another reason not to use PVPs.

The other day, I called Carnival directly on another issue. That person told me that I could book someone TBD until the final payment was due...which I think is probably correct.  She also said if I booked a certain type of ticket (not a VIFP sale) that I could change the name on the ticket for a fee even after the deposit is due, but if I booked a super saver sale ticket, that name could not be changed.

I'd double check the cost of the name change; that seems suspect to me.

So, I just called back to find out HOW to book someone TBD and the woman I talked to this time just copped an attitude and said, "You just book it how it is already booked."  Only, I don't have the room in question booked yet because I was waiting to hear back from my stepdad on if he was even planning to come at all! She was looking at the room reservations I already have booked which have names on them. I go through the entire explanation above and she keeps just repeating herself and it becomes clear to me she doesn't understand and she is copping an attitude with me so I just politely ended the phone call. For example, when I asked her "when do I have to provide a guest name?" Her response was: "As soon as possible." So, I asked, "What is the latest I can provide a name?" "Before you sail."  So, while that technically may be correct, I suspect there are restrictions on that and potential fees involved and it was clear she didn't want to be bothered by having to explain those...

You need a travel agent. They would help you without the attitude.

Sorry this is so long.  All I have learned is that I will never again offer to take my extended family on a cruise again.  One would think they would be grateful considering I am paying...but it's not turning out that way.

Just stay focused on how much fun it will be while you're on vacation with those you love.  Life is complicated, this is just an annoying hiccup.  I would strongly suggest finding a local travel agent in your community who would be willing to help you, help you manage the process, and take off all the stress you are experiencing. 

• Like 1

This thread is another reason why I always book cruises myself online. When you book online on Carnival’s website, you only need to provide one name for a cabin. You can leave the rest of the name(s) TBD without it being an issue. 

Unfortunately I have learned first hand a lot of Carnival’s representatives are very limited knowledge wise. For example, within the last year I called two separate times for two different cruises about adding OBC for my wife and later for myself for previously completing a 25th milestone cruise. Both times I called the person who I initially talked to had never heard of the milestone program. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the advice!  I really appreciate it. 👏👏👏 You all are so helpful!

And next time I am either going to use a travel agent or just book online. No more Carnival "personal cruise advisor."

After spending an hour-and

-a-half last night on the phone with a very helpful lady (Carnival's customer service line is really good), I think we have it worked out.  Or psuedo worked it out for noe.  I have all the definite people on the bookings (including the people with cruise credits from our Vista sailing that was cancelled by Carnival because the Vista had to be dry docked) and have left "TBD" as the second name on a number of cabins. I even currently have my seven years old in a cabin as the primary guest and the second guest as a TBD/TBA. Apparently, Carnival allows that so long as an adult is next door or across the hall.   

That is another thing I learned...I have been stressing over making sure there was an adult in my kid's room and apparently I didn't even need one.  An adult just has to be next door or across the hall if the room is not a balcony room. In reality, the younger one will probably sleep with someone else and not even in his own bed and the older one is mature enough that you could trust him in a room without an adult. He is more mature than most of the adults on this booking, lol! 😂

17 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Any time I have booked directly through Carnival.com the only name I have provided is my own. The other 3 people in a 4 person room came up automatically is TBA and my last name. That is how I get around naming people up front and have never had trouble adding names when I was ready.

It's what I did and I don't book early saver anymore.i just book military it's the same rate with out the restrictions.

11 hours ago, smilepak said:

So I gathered from this thread it is best to leave it TBD until the final payment before I change it to who is actually going?

Some people will do this just to wait as long as they can to avoid any possible name changes later. In theory, if you wait until final payment, the person who says they're going won't back out at that point. If you're absolutely certain the TBD isn't going to cancel (aside from unexpected events no one can control), then you can add their name anytime.

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

And next time I am either going to use a travel agent or just book online. No more Carnival "personal cruise advisor."

Apparently, Carnival allows that so long as an adult is next door or across the hall.   

That is another thing I learned...I have been stressing over making sure there was an adult in my kid's room and apparently I didn't even need one.  An adult just has to be next door or across the hall if the room is not a balcony room. In reality, the younger one will probably sleep with someone else and not even in his own bed and the older one is mature enough that you could trust him in a room without an adult. He is more mature than most of the adults on this booking, lol! 😂

Carnival PVP's (Personal Vacation Planner) are typically much more knowledgeable than regular customer service reps. and therefore, can be more helpful. But even with PVP's, there are some stinkers out there. Carnival will usually assign you one when you book your first cruise or you can call and request one. If you don't like the one you got, request another. We didn't care for the one we got assigned, so we're on our second one and he really knows his stuff.

You're right, kids don't necessarily have to be in the same cabin. 12 & under have to be next door or right across the hall, as long as it's not a balcony, and kids 13-17 can be separated by up to 3 cabins.

I have had to change a name on a reservation before that I had booked on a rate that allowed changes.

Called Carnival and was told i would have to cancel reservation for the one person and make a new reservation at new higher rate and lose the $250 deposit I had already put down. Argued with her and spoke to a supervisor and was told not possible.

Hung up and called back a few minutes later, got a different person that changed the name right away at no charge and was off the phone in about 2 minutes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

I have had to change a name on a reservation before that I had booked on a rate that allowed changes.

Called Carnival and was told i would have to cancel reservation for the one person and make a new reservation at new higher rate and lose the $250 deposit I had already put down. Argued with her and spoke to a supervisor and was told not possible.

Hung up and called back a few minutes later, got a different person that changed the name right away at no charge and was off the phone in about 2 minutes.

A good reason to use an accomplished TA. Mine has cruised for years and still does. So very familiar with the cruising itself.

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

A good reason to use an accomplished TA. Mine has cruised for years and still does. So very familiar with the cruising itself.

I can get better deals booking myself online.

Days of having to use a TA are going away fast.

• Like 1

Interesting thread I must say. I just booked Carnival for next year. I haven't been on Carnival since 2003. I've been in Princess and RCL a few times in the past few years. This time I booked using their online. I didn't notice the TBD in the name until this thread pointed it out to me, which strike me as an odd when I booked the cruise for it not to ask me my guest information at the time. I recall with Princess and RCL, I had to provide all of that at checkout online. 

2 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

I can get better deals booking myself online.

Days of having to use a TA are going away fast.

To each there own. If and when I find a great deal I sent it to her. She will usually match it every time. Gives some perks and also $50 - $100 OBC from the company she represents.  Staying with them I also get loyalty perks. In addition to whatever the cruise line is offering. Over the years she has save me a lot of money. keeps track of any changes to my booked cruises. One recent one. Price went down $550.00 She rebooked plus I received Pre Paid gratuities that the cruise line added. So I am staying a very happy cruiser.

I travel with my sister, and when I book for 2, it never asks me for the other name until I go to do online checkin.  then I see that they have put her in with my last name and TBA fr first name.  We haven't shared a last name for over 50 years.  I pull up her reservation, click on modify, and change the TBA to her first name.  When I am on Early Saver, it tells me I can't change the whole name.  So I add the first name, then Save.  Then I go back in to modify again, and change the last name, save again, and it is done.  EM

Even though the Early Saver rate is usually the least expensive, I NEVER book ES.  I usually don't know who will be able to cruise with me due to unforeseen health issues with my elderly parents.  My TA has been very, very helpful in explaining the different rates to me and assists me in deciding which rate will work at the time of booking.  I currently have a cruise with TBA listed as my companion.  Booking the ES rate is always very tempting.  But I NEVER NEVER do! 

On 7/28/2019 at 4:30 PM, MechE31 said:

The way I've accidently done it in the past direct though Carnival is to put a 24 hour hold on a room. When you complete the booking that was held, it defaults to a TBD second person. 

This has happened to me in the past as well.   I actually didn't realize it until I went to check us in and I got an pop-up message that said I need to complete the name of the other cruiser.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, Eli_6 said:

I learned a while back....I only book the room I am staying in.   I give the rest of my friends and family the information and they can book their own room.  If you want rooms together, they can all book the same day so they are available.

Saves the headache of all the changes and complaints that will eventually come...because you are the booker and looked at as the person in charge by everyone :)

I see that you are paying...very nice of you, but you may regret that...like they say...no good deed goes unpunished LOL. 

I hope you all have a great trip....and if you are paying next time...please adopt me :):)

1 hour ago, bingomamma19 said:

I learned a while back....I only book the room I am staying in.   I give the rest of my friends and family the information and they can book their own room.  If you want rooms together, they can all book the same day so they are available.

Saves the headache of all the changes and complaints that will eventually come...because you are the booker and looked at as the person in charge by everyone 🙂

I see that you are paying...very nice of you, but you may regret that...like they say...no good deed goes unpunished LOL. 

I hope you all have a great trip....and if you are paying next time...please adopt me :):)

In the incident I hinted at in my first post in this thread, we learned the hard way how not to handle booking with others. It works out just fine for many people, but when it doesn't, it can be a huge pain. We were supposed to take members of my wife's family, but about nine months after booking, seven months before the cruise, they dropped the bomb on us that they weren't going. I suspected it all along because they never wanted to talk about the cruise. They said that was because they weren't the type of people who talked about their vacations beforehand. Yeah right. Boy did it create an absolute mess. My wife had paid for the cruise on her credit card, then they paid her back their share. We told them we'd take care of the cancellation because our son was in a cabin with their kids and if they had cancelled on their own, it would've left him without a cabin. And we decided to let him take a friend instead, so we needed time to arrange that.

Come to find out, the Carnival rep. who booked it totally botched the payment info. Everything was in one of their names even though it was my wife's credit card. To top it off, when they found out they weren't getting a full refund, but were getting a future cruise credit instead, they were absolutely livid because they wouldn't use a future credit. They sat in with us on the booking call and listened to the rep. explain what would happen if anyone cancelled, yet they still blamed us for not getting their money back. We contacted our new PVP, who had been recently recommended to me at the time, and it took him a while to straighten everything out. Their cancellation cost us quite a bit more because we had to re-book our son at the current rates, which had gone up, and pay his cancellation fee. They wouldn't speak to us for a few months after that because they blamed us for their loss of money. We'll never put the financials on our shoulders ever again.

We've since booked a cruise for next year with other members of her family (not the same ones), but everyone is managing their own booking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

In the incident I hinted at in my first post in this thread, we learned the hard way how not to handle booking with others. It works out just fine for many people, but when it doesn't, it can be a huge pain. We were supposed to take members of my wife's family, but about nine months after booking, seven months before the cruise, they dropped the bomb on us that they weren't going. I suspected it all along because they never wanted to talk about the cruise. They said that was because they weren't the type of people who talked about their vacations beforehand. Yeah right. Boy did it create an absolute mess. My wife had paid for the cruise on her credit card, then they paid her back their share. We told them we'd take care of the cancellation because our son was in a cabin with their kids and if they had cancelled on their own, it would've left him without a cabin. And we decided to let him take a friend instead, so we needed time to arrange that.

Come to find out, the Carnival rep. who booked it totally botched the payment info. Everything was in one of their names even though it was my wife's credit card. To top it off, when they found out they weren't getting a full refund, but were getting a future cruise credit instead, they were absolutely livid because they wouldn't use a future credit. They sat in with us on the booking call and listened to the rep. explain what would happen if anyone cancelled, yet they still blamed us for not getting their money back. We contacted our new PVP, who had been recently recommended to me at the time, and it took him a while to straighten everything out. Their cancellation cost us quite a bit more because we had to re-book our son at the current rates, which had gone up, and pay his cancellation fee. They wouldn't speak to us for a few months after that because they blamed us for their loss of money. We'll never put the financials on our shoulders ever again.

We've since booked a cruise for next year with other members of her family (not the same ones), but everyone is managing their own booking.

Hopefully people who read your post learn from it instead of learning it first hand. We frequently cruise with family and friends, but we always book our own cabins.  Saves a lot of trouble that way. The only thing we share are booking numbers and pins so we can link the bookings together to ensure we are at the same table in the MDR. If you do YTD, which we haven’t done recently, you don’t need to worry about linking your bookings. 

• Like 1