Magic Carpet on Edge

After wondering about that strange looking orange structure dominating the starboard side of Edge, I finally googled it to find it was essentially a huge outboard elevator.  I’d like the impression of people who have experienced it:  do you have to wait for a chance, or is it generally accessible? Does it continually go up and down when at sea, or is it mostly stationary at some deck level? Is it the primary platform for getting on tenders when at anchor?  Does its use block/ruin the view from the balcony cabins it passes in front of?

Finally, do you think it is a good idea or a sort of silly “enhancement” which contributes little to the cruise experience?

I thought it a gimmick initially, but have had a lovely dinner out there watching the sunset and have enjoyed many cocktails at various times day and night -  it makes a unique bar -comfortable and great service. It is accessible a lot of the day and night, moves 2-3 times/day and hasn't been too much of a hindrance to those in nearby cabins though can cause some obstruction of views and brief noises when it relocates. It takes about 3 -5 minutes to move it, so there have been few complaints about it moving and passing cabins (many have commented that they enjoyed watching it move). The S3 suites in the middle of the Magic Carpet are impacted the most by losing some views to the side and potentially the upper ones on 11-12 having the overhang when it is docked on 14.  If I book one of the nearby cabins or an S3 suite, I will choose carefully.

It is very easy to enter and exit tenders from the platform - they don't always use that platform - it depends upon conditions.  Interestingly, the MC was designed initially as a way to tender more comfortably - a common guest concern. Once they decided to add the platform, they started to think about what else it could be used for, hence the restaurant and bar ideas. So it didn't start as a gimmick, it started as a way to make tendering a more pleasant experience.

Could I live without it?  Yes, but I have enjoyed it and will continue to enjoy dining and chilling on this lovely, unique venue, as well as using it as a comfortable way to tender.  🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3

Just curious where it is placed in the evening when sailing? We are really looking forward to giving it a try and can live with the sea breeze if we are just there to enjoy a cocktail. We should be on the ship for noon so we are hoping to get a place for the dinner they do on there. Fingers crossed.

Not long for us now ----- excited, excited, excited :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just curious where it is placed in the evening when sailing? We are really looking forward to giving it a try and can live with the sea breeze if we are just there to enjoy a cocktail. We should be on the ship for noon so we are hoping to get a place for the dinner they do on there. Fingers crossed.

Not long for us now ----- excited, excited, excited :classic_biggrin:

When it is isn’t being used for dinner on the Edge, when sailing it is usually on deck 5 as part of Raw on 5. I certainly went out and had drinks on it and watched the moon a couple of weeks ago! For Dinner on the Edge make it the very first thing you do - usually people outside Oceanview Cafe - it was sold out before 1pm the first day on both our sailings. 

I enjoyed drinks on her on deck 16, deck 14, deck 5 and got great photos on deck 2 waiting for a tender! 

Wendy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if this is off topic. Just wondering if anyone can point us in the direction of the menu for the MC. I know I have seen one on CC but can't seem to find it. Thanks for any help.

9 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Are you saying it was sold out for dinners for the entire cruise on the 1st day?  What do you recommend to get a booking ?

Yes, totally sold out by 1pm. On a 7 day cruise they often only do 1 Dinner on the Edge although you can get drinks at lots of different times on it. To get a booking be onboard as soon as you can and head to Oceanview Cafe and find one of the crew with an iPad and make a booking. If you are in a suite the suite concierges in the Retreat could make a booking I think. 

This is based on 2 Mediterranean 7 day cruises in July.

Wendy 

Edited by wendyam76

They also serve on the Magic Carpet when it is on 5 docked at Raw on 5 - @wendyam76, do you know if they served food every evening when docked on 5? In recent dailies, it has the MC docked on deck 5 from about 5:30-1030 at night (listed under bars). I know their menu is limited compared to Raw on 5 and wondered if they served that limited menu while it served as a bar in the evening ("Evening Bites" as we had a few months ago).

The dailies I looked at showed the MC on deck 14 from 9 or 10 AM - 4 or 5 PM as a bar and then it moved to deck 5 for the evening (except for the Dinner on the Edge night).

Here is a recent menu for Dinner on the Edge:

image.png.3682969e5d87c80acb14d43bbb29e26a.png

Evening Bites on Magic Carpet

image.thumb.png.694728810dd7541c4f25edc0c15c776a.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

Vtcruising, I was never there when they were serving food - certainly during the day the only food was if people took in burgers from the mast grill and ate them there! In the evening we were only on it for drinks (after about 10pm) and I didn’t see any menus left. I’m thinking they served the evening bites menu but couldn’t confirm. The Dinner on the Edge menu was the one they were using - too much seafood for me and we loved being on it for drinks so didn’t feel we missed out too much! 

Wendy

• Thanks 2

There isn’t a wait to get on it when it is near the pool area.   It is just an extension of that deck.  The only wait may be waiting your turn to be served.

We never had a problem finding a place to sit but it may not be in the most desirable spot.

it was really nothing special and felt the same as sitting at  the Sunset Bar.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

They also serve on the Magic Carpet when it is on 5 docked at Raw on 5 - @wendyam76, do you know if they served food every evening when docked on 5? In recent dailies, it has the MC docked on deck 5 from about 5:30-1030 at night (listed under bars). I know their menu is limited compared to Raw on 5 and wondered if they served that limited menu while it served as a bar in the evening ("Evening Bites" as we had a few months ago).

The dailies I looked at showed the MC on deck 14 from 9 or 10 AM - 4 or 5 PM as a bar and then it moved to deck 5 for the evening (except for the Dinner on the Edge night).

Here is a recent menu for Dinner on the Edge:

image.png.3682969e5d87c80acb14d43bbb29e26a.png

Evening Bites on Magic Carpet

image.thumb.png.694728810dd7541c4f25edc0c15c776a.png

Both look great... we will reconsider dinner on the Edge..dh will have a non lobster choice! If not available lite bites will be okay

Thanks for posting this!

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

What day is the  dinner usually held?

Good question. Someone asked that last week and no one seemed to know. I wonder if it depends upon the itinerary. I know when I was onboard in January, I was told that they plan the night just before the cruise when the weather for the following week is better known, so it may be a different night for each cruise. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Makes sense to ve weather based..We have one excursion in Curacao with  a dinner stop,  so hope they would not conflict, assuming there are spaces open for non suite guests.

The Magic Carpet is grossly overrated by Celebrity marketing.  It's a platform that sticks out to the side.  It has a bar and you can eat there.  It doesn't move when occupied. That's about it .  Oh, and its painted orange - no I don't know why.  No doubt in a year or two it will be for suite guests only.  Fine with me.  

17 minutes ago, Mr Miserable said:

The Magic Carpet is grossly overrated by Celebrity marketing.  It's a platform that sticks out to the side.  It has a bar and you can eat there.  It doesn't move when occupied. That's about it .  Oh, and its painted orange - no I don't know why.  No doubt in a year or two it will be for suite guests only.  Fine with me.  

Name fits.