Tampa

2 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

Doing a search for an upcoming cruise in September, I see that Royal does not have any cruises departing from Tampa May-Oct. Curious as to why? 

The ships that normally are in Tampa are in Europe in the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Also hot hurricane season.

Not  likely the reason, as Royal Caribbean has many cruises from the East Coast of Florida during that time.  They are only select ships I can sail from Tampa. Bob is right, those ships that sail from Tampa are elsewhere during the summer ( and very early fall ) months. 

M

It would be nice if one of the ships stayed here in Tampa over the summer.  Summer is one of my business slow times therefore available for cruises.  On the positives:

1.   It is only a couple hour's drive to Canaveral and a few more to Lauderdale or Miami.

2.   Carnival is here all summer.

3.   Nothing wrong with flying over to Europe and going on a Royal Caribbean cruise.  Tampa airport now has multiple direct flights to Europe.

Ships out of Tampa have been seasonal only for years now.  

A few reasons...but I am guessing here:

1. Small ships are needed to do some remote areas in colder climes during the summer that big ships cannot access.  Tampa can only port small ships due to clearance to fit under Sunshine Skyway bridge.  

2. Very, very long passage out of Tampa bay, where the big ships can get to popular ports much easier.  

3. It's a good place to port summer cruising ships that can't do the winter time areas.  TAs coming back from Europe find a winter home in Tampa.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wally Alligator said:

It would be nice if one of the ships stayed here in Tampa over the summer.  Summer is one of my business slow times therefore available for cruises.  On the positives:

1.   It is only a couple hour's drive to Canaveral and a few more to Lauderdale or Miami.

2.   Carnival is here all summer.

3.   Nothing wrong with flying over to Europe and going on a Royal Caribbean cruise.  Tampa airport now has multiple direct flights to Europe.

Just like several other ports that lose ships in the summer (and some ports that haven't had a Royal ship in years), Royal can make more money elsewhere.

• Like 1

The Radiance class, 90,000 tons is the largest that will clear the Skyway. Tampa is  also  subject to Fog that has delayed many departures and arrivals as they have to travel Tampa Bay.  They do have great parking at Tampa( love the valet ).