Dubai cruises cancelled

scarlet ohara

24 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Something very odd when the sister companies continue to complete the itinerary. Confused dot com !

No not really.  The ship seized by Iran was British-flagged.  Oceana has a flaming big British flag emblazoned on her bow.  Simples.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Britboys said:

No not really.  The ship seized by Iran was British-flagged.  Oceana has a flaming big British flag emblazoned on her bow.  Simples.

Still not a great area to travel though for anyone. I suppose we are less popular than other countries (hint of sarcasm here).

It will be interesting to see what other American owned lines do as they are probably as popular as we are.

17 hours ago, brian1 said:

Suez is not in the Gulf region Les.You will be OK except for just the Dubai stop maybe.

I hope it is ok Brian, too many pre paid arrangements in place in the UK, other cruises, flights, hotels etc after the Arcadia, Singapore to Southampton.  It will be a logistical nightmare for us if they cancel the Arcadia Worldie because of the Gulf issues.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

I hope it is ok Brian, too many pre paid arrangements in place in the UK, other cruises, flights, hotels etc after the Arcadia, Singapore to Southampton.  It will be a logistical nightmare for us if they cancel the Arcadia Worldie because of the Gulf issues.

Looking at your itinerary,Muscat is still feasible.It's before the straits of Hormuz,where all the hassle is.Otherwise,a diversion to the Maldives maybe,or a stop in Jordan.I'm sure P and O will think of something for all of you highrollers,lol.

None of the cruises just transiting gulf are cancelling. 

I wonder if the reason to cancel Dubai cruises was not just safety and the big union Jack, which I'm sure was a significant factor,  but it was also helped by low bookings. 

Whatever it was it was not a cheap or easy decision, but most probably the right one.

In case anyone missed it, this is part of a News entry on Cruise Critic on 9th August:

P&O Cruises president, Paul Ludlow, said: "The increased tension in the region highlighted by the attacks on tankers in the Straits and the detention of a British-flagged tanker by the Iranian authorities means as a British company flying the Red Ensign it is not advisable for us to maintain our planned Dubai and Arabian Gulf programme this winter season.

"We have therefore taken the unusual step of withdrawing Oceana from the region for the upcoming season. Whilst we appreciate our guests will be disappointed, the safety of our guests and crew is absolutely paramount and given our UK status, coupled with the uncertainty in the region, we have had to make this difficult decision."

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I wonder if the reason to cancel Dubai cruises was not just safety and the big union Jack, which I'm sure was a significant factor,  but it was also helped by low bookings. 

Whatever it was it was not a cheap or easy decision, but most probably the right one.

What was the booking level for the whole season?

when we booked the last cruise in gulf for 2020 including India coast with the following relocation cruise back to Valetta I got the impression they were both fairly full - Real shame as i have seen in 2021 they are not doing the India coast  as part of their Dubai based cruises

7 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The Persian Gulf is not transited, you have to pass through the strait of Hormuz as you enter and leave what is essentially a very large bay, and it is in this strait that Iran are using their patrol boats to harass shipping. Most cruise lines seem to use Dubai as a turnaround port and many transit Hormuz to reach some ports on their itineraries, including Oceana.

I see Celebrity have cancelled their sailings for the 2020/21 season. They state that the reason is due to increased demand for cruises from Tampa, but I find it strange for this sort of drastic schedule change to be made for cruises that are currently on sale. 

Perhaps they realised that demand for cruises in this area of the world is likely to decline given the current tension levels.  

Edited by wowzz

I haven't seen the reason but I've just heard that from my TA as i was about to book that cruise from Singapore to Dubai as a replacement - I'm tof they have cancelled from Dec 3rd. till April 2020 -  Must be for the same reason as P&O 

We were due to be on the cancelled Oceana Christmas and New Year cruise this year but due to the cancellation tried to book the same cruise for Dec 2020 but they have already sold out for 3 person cabins (we travel with our 14 year old son) - so it seems that there is no lack of interest in sailing to Dubai etc!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 9:31 AM, TonyM99 said:

I haven't seen the reason but I've just heard that from my TA as i was about to book that cruise from Singapore to Dubai as a replacement - I'm tof they have cancelled from Dec 3rd. till April 2020 -  Must be for the same reason as P&O 

My mistake Celebrity have cancelled from Season 20/21 so are still sailing Singapore to Dubai for winter 19/20 - We have  just booked this as a replacement as well as reorganising our Pre cruise Golden Triangle Land tour - So after many more hours of researching now have out winer 2020 holiday back on schedule 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2019 at 2:53 PM, Cliffholl55 said:

We to we’re on Dubai on 7th nov. Got refunded quickly. Booked on Marella (tui) on Discovery for same price for 14 nights all inc.  Dubai to India,happy days

We have managed to put together a very similar package trip that we had before India Golden Triangle then to Singapore to pick up Celebrity cruise to Dubai including Columbo Goa Cochin and overnight in Mumbai so also all good