What to wear on Excursions.

hondo1717

Hey Fellow Princess Cruisers,

We are getting ready to travel to Paris for a couple of days, then onto the Crown Princess for the British Isles Cruise.  Would someone who has done this itinerary, please give us an idea on what is ok to wear:  (A) In Paris for a couple of days... And (B), on the excursions (ports) that are on this cruise...  concerned we will look to American (Shorts and T Shirts) But, that would make us comfortable.

Very Much appreciated

The last time I was in France, two men from our ship mistook me for a french lady.  The actually asked me how I learned to speak in English so well, lol. I'm sure the french people knew I was american, but I did play the escargot card at the local restaurant and earned a few points that way.

Shorts aren't allowed in the churches.  I would wear a sun dress and sandals, but that's probably just me. 🙂

Agree completely that for women traveling in  Europe in hot weather a sun dress is appropriate. You might also bring something to cover your shoulders in church if it is a sleeveless dress.

As for men in summer, well I wouldn't travel to Europe at that time of year but you'll be better off wearing loose slacks like chinos and not jeans but not shorts unless you are at a beach!

• Like 3

Unless you're in a beach resort town, try to stay away from beachwear (short-shorts, tank tops). 

For ladies: In major cities like Paris & London, sundresses or light skirts with summer tops are good. I find these cooler than shorts and t-shirts anyways. If you're sleeveless, tuck a light scarf/shawl in your bag for churches or too-cool A/C.  In smaller towns, shorts should be fine as long as they're not the short-short variety. Even then, my preference would be crops or cotton ankle-pants. 

• Like 2

I totally agree.  When in the major cities, a summer frock or summer cotton or linen pants are the go. If it is hot, a natural fibre is always the coolest.  My husband always wears chinos or cotton pants when ashore.  When in a small town, I would still wear capris and a T.shirt or a short sleeve shirt.  Shorts are in my opinion for a seaside town or the beach.

Edited by Aussie Gal
  • Like 3

When in Belfast bring you waterproofs we have had our one day of summer .

But seriously depending on where you are going bring a shower jacket :

if you are going to Giants Causeway it can get a bit windy up there so an extra layer might be needed but occasionally we do get good weather.

If you are just doing hop on hop off bus shorts/ t shirt perfectly ok , of course that is if it is a good day otherwise you might need jeans / sweat top and a rain jacket. 

• Like 1

Check the weather....you will probably need a jacket and umbrella.  Agree if it is warm sundresses are great but make sure comfortable shoes

We always do alot of walking in Paris and the british isles.  Also a cross body purse is best as it is safer and leaves your hands free.  It was chilly when we were in England and Scotland in June. So I did wear Jeans and comfortable tops.

I haven;t done this tour, but spent 2 weeks in France last year ( one week in Paris ).  We walked a lot in Paris.  I wore a "city sneaker" - Ecco is my favorite brand.  They look nice - even with a skirt and I walked all day in them. 

A couple of safety tips.  Wear a money belt, keep your bag very close.  I used a crossbody and hubby used a backpack camera bag.  Also be wary of folks who try to engage your attention and then their accomplice frisks you. I really loved Paris, I could go every year. 

6 hours ago, hondo1717 said:

Hey Fellow Princess Cruisers,

We are getting ready to travel to Paris for a couple of days, then onto the Crown Princess for the British Isles Cruise.  Would someone who has done this itinerary, please give us an idea on what is ok to wear:  (A) In Paris for a couple of days... And (B), on the excursions (ports) that are on this cruise...  concerned we will look to American (Shorts and T Shirts) But, that would make us comfortable.

Very Much appreciated

There is a board on this forum where you might get additional input

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/107-cruise-fashions-amp-beauty/

For many years, I went by the "neutrals and everything needs to go with everything else". On our first transAtlantic plus Mediterranean cruise, I threw that advice out the window. I took things I knew I'd be comfortable in and wore colors I believe I look good in. Every 'bottom' had at least two tops that went with it, and since *I* think coral and turquoise go together, I had many more cross-matching outfits, but I didn't worry about EVERY thing going together. And I didn't worry about looking like an American because after all, I am one and remove any doubt when I speak anyway.

comfy clothes, especially shoes and layers - the weather can be very changeable.  We have a storm this weekend, a lightweight waterproof will be needed (to windy for a brolly).

As others have mentioned  churches/cathedrals etc will not allow you in if your shoulders and legs are not covered, men must wear long trousers.

Many museums and tourist attractions wont allow women in high heels (they damage the floors).

Some attractions wont allow you to bring a large bag.

Have a lovely time.

Shorts and tee shirts are absolutely fine for Europe. Yes if visiting churches take a wrap (or two) so you can put one round your waist to look like a skirt and one over you shoulders if you have a vest top on. Tee shirts are fine in all churches I have been in. 

Tongue placed in cheek, it's the white sneakers (trainers) that give you away as being American. 

I just got back from almost 3 weeks in Italy, France and Spain.  Despite the heat wave, I wore black (or navy) slacks and a polo shirt every day, with casual black shoes.  Except for going to the beach or out on a boat.

I rarely wear shorts and t-shirts.  My garb was what I normally wear around my home town when I am not dressed in a suit -- the casual clothing I am most comfortable in.  My clothes were acceptable in the huge number of churches we entered, including for Mass.  No shirt and tie and jacket were needed for Mass.

No advice for the rest of the cruise...but I wore dresses and walking sandals and my husband wore slacks and tucked in Tshirts (with a belt and leather walking shoes). Our son wore tshirts and shorts and sneakers. Everyone was comfortable,  and we might have looked like American tourists but we didn't feel like we stood out. Plus we were going pretty much exclusively to tourist spots so...

Being from New Zealand I wear "dress" shorts all the time and that includes when cruising and sightseeing. 

I wear suiting trousers when dining in the ship restaurants when I can't wear shorts and longs of a very thin material when visiting any religious places.

Wear what you feel comfortable with and which doesn't draw attention to you.

It’s the old cliche of “layers” I am afraid.

You maybe okay in very summery clothes in Paris but here in Britain you would probably get hypothermia or at least severe rust in shorts. Unfortunately hot days can happen but they are not that common. Three warm days in a row constitutes a heat wave😊. And the further north you go the cooler it is likely to get.

When we go on holiday in this country for day wear I optimistically pack one beachy summer dress and a pair of linen trousers then the rest is jeans, tops, fleeces and waterproofs. 

As far as looking a certain way goes don’t worry about it. Once you are out of London no one will even think about labelling or judging you. Out here in the sticks people are more likely to be just interested and politely curious because we routinely do not come across our American cousins.

Also I would not over worry about churches here. Unless you are in a bikini or in central London I don’t think people would bother to be honest. I would be very, very surprised if I was asked to cover my shoulders in a church over here. Us Proddies tend to be relaxed about things like that.

Have a lovely time and I am sure you will enjoy your visit x

• Like 1

We live in San Diego which is a very laid back casual city in terms of clothing, A person could wear shorts out and about and to dinner almost everywhere in our city.

When I travel I am not trying to look like a native of that city but I do try to follow local custom in terms of dress. IF it is not "done" by locals to wear shorts while wandering around a city then I don't wear shorts either. I just think it is the polite thing to do.

I would say pack a shower proof jacket (kagool/pack-a mac) as you may (likely) get showers but it hasn't been cold here. I live about 45minutes from Edinburgh and the weather forecast last night was wall to wall heavy rain but it's been a warm sunny day clear blue sky, have walked our dog wearing jeans and t-shirt and was too hot!! Presently sitting in my back garden making the most of the sunshine,  but in the UK anything can happen weather wise 😂 Good luck!

• Thanks 1