Mitsugirly BREAKAWAYs for a summer cruise: Review/Pictorial

mitsugirly

Hi Kim! I’m soooo happy you’re back and writing another review! I’m sailing on the Breakaway for the first time in a couple weeks....but I’ve been on the Getaway a couple times.

Lord....I think the last time I read an NCL review, you had just passed your boards! Are you still in the ER (I think that’s what I remember)!

Edited by NayRN

Hi, Kim! Glad I found you right at the beginning. I think sometimes I miss things when I come in late and end up binge reading. 

Our next eat two trips are both land vacations. No cruises for us until October 2020. 😱 Needless to say, I’m in serious cruise withdrawal. This review will help get me through, at least for a while, so a long review is just what I need! 😄

• Like 1

Hi Kim,

I love your reviews.  I will be sailing on the Breakaway in November 2019 for an eastern Caribbean cruise.  Looking forward to reading about all the Breakaway has to offer.

Also, have you every been over to Jost Van Dyke?  One of our stops is Tortola and I am trying to decide between the Baths and the Rebel Yell over to Jost Van Dyke.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pam

49 minutes ago, pebbles1102 said:

Hi Kim,

I love your reviews.  I will be sailing on the Breakaway in November 2019 for an eastern Caribbean cruise.  Looking forward to reading about all the Breakaway has to offer.

Also, have you every been over to Jost Van Dyke?  One of our stops is Tortola and I am trying to decide between the Baths and the Rebel Yell over to Jost Van Dyke.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pam

I'm not Kim (enjoying your review!), but I thought I'd chime in. I have not done the Baths, but we've done Jost Van Dyke twice on the Rebel Yell. It is a very enjoyable trip and we would do it again. 

• Like 1

I was literally on that ship the week before, disembarked the day you embarked 🙂  Looking forward to your review of the ship and the ports.  I wasn't a fan of the Breakaway, yet it is very nice.  But I'm comparing the Breakaway to Escape.. I can see how they went all out for Escape.. seeing how things were different between the 2..

On 8/13/2019 at 11:46 AM, mitsugirly said:

I have to say that one of the main reasons we started trying other lines is that for some reason NCL seems to think that cruisers don't want to cruise the Caribbean during the summer months and don't have many options during that time frame. Yet, here are all the other cruise lines...cruising the Caribbean during the summer!

Another great review!

It may not be not thinking people want to cruise the Caribbean in the summer, it's just other markets are more lucrative.

For example: Princess sends seven of their 17 ships to the highly lucrative Alaska market in the summer leaving none in the Caribbean.

On 8/13/2019 at 2:40 PM, mitsugirly said:

So on with the review....

When I first started doing reviews, I would carry a note pad and take notes during the cruise. Then that went to just taking a few notes about the day each night before bed. Then the world of technology convinced me to type notes into my phone during the day each day. This cruise....I DID NOTHING! Nothing at all. Oops. I enjoyed myself and hoped that I had taken enough pictures during the day to remind me of what we did. So forgive me if I have a few mess ups or forget things along the way. I'll do my best. I tried this on my last cruise and it worked out ok.

August 3, Saturday: We booked a fairly late flight out (mid day) of Columbus because I really hate rushing around in the mornings and it's just easier for our family to not be too rushed with last minute packing and getting ready.

Our flight departed at 3:35pm and we were due to arrive in FLL at 8pm. That would still give us enough time to find a place to eat dinner once we arrived at the hotel.

P8120015%20copy-L.jpg

We were packed and ready to go...the animals had already been dropped off at my youngest sons home the night before and we were good to go. One suitcase per person...we packed fairly light (unlike my oldest daughter Kendra lol). Then off we went. 

P8030001%20copy-L.jpg

We used to have someone drop us off at the airport but it became more of an inconvenience and just started parking at the lot and shuttling over several cruises ago.

P8030002%20copy-L.jpg

P8030003%20copy-L.jpg

Our plane was on time and Sakari always has to touch the plane before getting on for good luck. Man she is getting big.

P8030006%20copy-L.jpg

After take off, Sakari immediately started drawing on her phone. She has this huge infatuation with the "furry fandom". If you've been a follower of my reviews, you will remember we ended up on a cruise with the furries once on NCL Sun back in 2014. Sakari fell in love with them and had a blast on that cruise. She knows a lot of them by name (on youtube) and she has become infatuated with making her own "fur suit" these days. 

So what is a furry? The furry fandom is a subculture interested in anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics. Sakari has always had a love for animals and creatures and a WILD imagination. She's always been creative and she is an artist. This imagination combined with her creative talents has landed her a space in the Art school starting next week in middle school. She was tested last year and labeled as "gifted" and had to create a portfolio and had several interviews to be accepted into the school. I'm so proud of her and her talents as an artist. So recently she has started creating, what she calls her "OC" drawings of furries she wants to make. OC, she says, stands for "original character". She has a character named "Remi" that she has created and I just can not believe the things she comes up with when she creates them. I will have to get some pictures to show you all later when I'm home. 

She does drawings of different characters on her phone and this is a drawing she did of Remi on the first half of our flight.

P8030005%20copy-L.jpg

We landed in FLL right on time, gathered our luggage and headed outside the terminal to catch our shuttle to the hotel.

OMG!! I cannot believe that is Sakari! I havent read one of your reviews in awhile! She has grown up so much! She is probably actually pretty famous in the cruise critic world as we all have watched her grow up!!

51 minutes ago, JinxyB said:

On the Breakaway now, so I’m definitely following!  This ship is soooo crowded, but I guess that’s to be expected during summer break.  Love your reviews!

Can you post a picture of the specialty coffee menu?  

4 minutes ago, JinxyB said:

Yes, let me see what I can do.  Is there something specific you are looking for?

Just trying to see what the options are to help decide on upgrading to the "Plus" version of the beverage package. And drink menus on the Breakaway seem hard to come by.  I go back and forth on how worthwhile the upgrade is, and part of the appeal is the included specialty coffee, plus maybe some of the fancy wine by the glass.

I keep monitoring this one hoping it's going to include menus. We leave this weekend, so I'm at that AHHHHHH!!! I CAN:T WAIT!!! stage 🙂