Umbrellas in minisuites?

treasurer

24 minutes ago, treasurer said:

We will be on Caribbean Princess soon and see that rain is predicted for some ports.  Should we bring our umbrella or are they provided in the minisuites?  

why not bring some disposal rain poncho's ?  they only cost about a buck at any $ store, pre-cruise

We have been on the Caribbean Princess several times in a mini-suite and have never seen an umbrella in the suite.  As suggested by a previous poster we take the plastic ponchos.

Rain in the Caribbean can be warm and actually pleasant to be exposed to.  We've been caught in showers while onshore and while many were donning their plastic ponchos or huddling in meager shelter, we enjoyed the refreshing feeling walking in the rain.

As for the umbrella, you would more likely need it for shade from the sun than for rain.

Umbrellas can certainly be useful if your cruise is in Northern Europe,

Keep in mind that when not in port the speed of the ship would also render umbrellas on a fairly open deck both useless and a possible safety hazard.

Again, Princess needs to stop using the term mini-SUITES.  These are NOT suites but glorified balcony rooms with a sitting area.  Full suites passengers do have access to umbrellas, but they are big and hard to carry around in your back pocket.  

We have been on the Caribbean Princess several times in a mini-suite and have never seen an umbrella in the suite.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are confusing the amenities of Concierge Class on Celebrity with a Princess mini-suite.  Just an interesting observation:  A few years ago I had done a short cruise on Queen Elizabeth (inside cabin).  My TA was coming on for the cruise following ours.  I wanted to leave something for her in her cabin.  Actually, the gift was 27 nights worth of pillow chocolates from our Celebrity TA...I went looking for her cabin, glanced into an open door and saw what looked like a mini-suite.  Didn't know QE had mini-suites.  Back in my cabin, I checked the deck plan and discovered it was not a mini-suite, but a Princess Grill suite.  So, a Mini-suite on Cunard costs a heck of a lot more than one on Princess.  EM

6 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Umbrellas on Celebrity,Concierge class and I would think in the categories above Concierge.   Not offered on Princess.. 

We take small folding umbrellas on vacations. Fit in the carry on and in my tote.

We were in a Concierge Class cabin on the Constellation last summer. There was no umbrella. (In fact not much of anything and the cabin was quite small.) Also, last year we were in a Vista Suite on the Crown. When we docked in one port it was pouring. We called our cabin steward and asked for umbrellas. He said they didn’t have any.  I pointed out to him that it says umbrellas are available for suites. He still insisted he didn’t have any.  As we were walking down the hall he handed us a large umbrella- big enough for two.   Buy a mini umbrella and bring it with you.  They fit perfectly in the outside pocket of my carry-on. 

Don’t be overly concerned about rain in the forecast in the Caribbean.  There’s usually a shower somewhere in the day that usually passes as quickly as it arrives!  A prediction of rain every day is not unusual, but it likely will be 98% sunny and wonderful!!

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, MJSailors said:

Umbrellas on Celebrity,Concierge class and I would think in the categories above Concierge.   Not offered on Princess.. 

We take small folding umbrellas on vacations. Fit in the carry on and in my tote.

We were provided with both a full-sized umbrella and a short one (abut 10 inches collapsed) in our Aqua Class IV cabin on Celebrity edge.  The full-sized did not stand up to the first rain storm in Naples -- very cheaply made.  

I've never been given an umbrella by Princess in a mini-suite or Club Class.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:15 PM, Times Prince said:

Rain in the Caribbean can be warm and actually pleasant to be exposed to.  We've been caught in showers while onshore and while many were donning their plastic ponchos or huddling in meager shelter, we enjoyed the refreshing feeling walking in the rain.

As for the umbrella, you would more likely need it for shade from the sun than for rain.

Umbrellas can certainly be useful if your cruise is in Northern Europe,

Keep in mind that when not in port the speed of the ship would also render umbrellas on a fairly open deck both useless and a possible safety hazard.

I thought I had responded to this, but I must have messed up.

The following statement is not necessarily true "Keep in mind that when not in port the speed of the ship would also render umbrellas on a fairly open deck both useless and a possible safety hazard..

The ship may or may not cause high winds.  If the ship is heading east at 15 knots, and the wind is from the west, there is no wind.  If the ship is heading west in this situation, it would in fact create a 30 knot wind.  That is why aircraft carriers turn into the wind when launching planes.