Keto; what are some alcohol drinks that you like to order?

I just want to thank everyone who responded.  You have shared some great ideas.  I plan to make very good choices on my upcoming Allure of the Seas cruise.  I’ve leaned that Keto is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle.  My husband and I both have done very well with it and intend to keep it up. 😊

• Like 2

I usually have a vodka with club soda and lime; a vodka with sparkling water; a martini or wine. 

On my my last two cruises in addition to taking two bottles of wine on-board I also took six cans of sparkling water to use as mixers and ordered vodka for delivery to the room. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

I just want to thank everyone who responded.  You have shared some great ideas.  I plan to make very good choices on my upcoming Allure of the Seas cruise.  I’ve leaned that Keto is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle.  My husband and I both have done very well with it and intend to keep it up. 😊

Good choices and alcohol! Now there is an oxymoron if I ever heard one.🤣

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 2

I really like Moscow Mules however, the ship doesn't seem to carry diet ginger beer. I have to go with diet ginger ale which isn't bad but, definitely not the same. I also do rum/coke.  I know the Mule would not be true Keto but, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes LOL!

Edited by Cinders411
  • Thanks 1

I'm not on a Keto diet but like to have a couple drinks that are not terribly filling (read bloating).  My go to is Grey Goose L'Orange with soda water and a slice of orange.  The Grey Goose shot is only 69 calories per oz, no sugar.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Robb said:

I think that if you check, you will find that all wines have some carbs....avg. 3-5 per 5 oz.   Maybe you have different information.🍷

Yes, wine is not free of carbs.  Here is good list of wines carb content I’ve attached.

If you compare it to a Margarita (10.67carbs), or a Pina Colada (29.65 carbs), and a Mudslide (283 carbs!)..holy cow Batman, wine is a much better option in moderation of course. I will stick to hard liquor or an occasional glass of wine. 

6FF73B51-51D9-41B9-8738-C4B0DA86E074.jpeg

21 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

Been on four cruises in the two years I've been eating Keto.  It's pretty easy to maintain if you skip desserts and watch what you drink. As you say, it's not a diet. It's just a (better) way of eating.  Congrats on your success and good luck.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

I am a keto girl (been a keto girl for quite a while). I simply order Tito's and bring my Zevia and mix them together or drink Tito's on the rocks with lime. You have to be careful about dark liquors as they are filled with carbs and many do have sugars in them too for flavoring.

• Thanks 1

I like flavored (citrus) vodka (kettleone botanical is my fave) with soda water.  I'm feeling splurgy I add a splash of grapefruit juice.

On our recent cruise- I avoided the alcohol package to eliminate the temptation of sugary cocktails.  I carried on 4 bottles of cabernet sauvignon (two cabernet) and that was all I drank.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 3:26 PM, taglovestocruise said:

My wife is on very low carb and she has a lot of Gin and Diet tonic water or diet sprite.  Night time in the bar or specialty restaurants it is a Cucumber Martini. Her favorite drink was a Margarita, now never again. 

I'm enjoying this thread and will definitely be taking some notes of cocktails to try.

May I suggest Baja Bob's Mixers! At home I buy the liquid mixers from my local Spec's liquor store. My go-to at home is the Mai Tai mix with rum and I like the Margarita version also. For the cruise I have ordered some individual powdered mixes. Baja Bob Mai Tai doesn't come in powder form but I have some margarita ones. I also ordered another brand on Amazon that did have a Mai Tai version but I haven't tried it yet. (looked up the brands I ordered = RSVP Skinnies & Margaritaville = haven't tried either yet).

My plan on the cruise if I have to mix it myself is to ask for a tequila (or rum) on the rocks in a tall glass and a bottle of water or a glass of water or club soda (no ice) on the side. I'll then mix the powder with the water or club soda and add it to my tequila or rum. Powders - whether they're Crystal Light or Kool-Aid mix better without ice (add ice after dissolving).

Ok. So. Here's my question.  Since carbs ARE the fuel for the body, and since under Keto you are limiting or totally excluding carbs in the rest of your diet,  does it really  matter  if your drinks  have a few carbs in the alcohol? Isn't that taking it to extremes?

And yes, I am aware the eventually the excess protein  will help the fat to act as a fuel source. But, that takes  time.  And too much protein  can lead to worse health issues than being a bit overweight.  Plus, most medical doctors and legitimate registered nutritionists don't  recommend being on Keto for more than 6-9 weeks, if that long. Basically, lose the weight you need to then shift into a more healthy less extreme diet.