Dinner Attire for Woemen

carlsbadguy

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

In the Terrace. Even seen guys in wifebeaters there at dinner. Elsewhere, not a chance!👎

Wifebeaters?  Is that why this thread is titled "Dinner Attire for Woemen?"

😁

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jackdeb said:

Sneakers are never okay in the GDR or specialty restaurants for men or women. Same for denim, dressy jeans is an oxymoron.

I can think of at least one exception:  if you are "sneaking" an extra dessert. 🙄

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jackdeb said:

Sneakers are never okay in the GDR or specialty restaurants for men or women. Same for denim, dressy jeans is an oxymoron.

It's nice that you have an opinion, while I don't wear jeans to dinner it's good for the folks that do like designer jeans that you're not in charge. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ask about acceptable attire,  and you will get people worked up. Everyone has their own idea of what to wear on a cruise. Keep it clean and simple. It is nice packing for an Oceania cruise.  Leave the dressy clothes home. It is your cruise. Wear whatever suits you. Chico’s for women is a good option. The travelers collection packs well and does not wrinkle. It also stretches should you gain a few pounds. 

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2019 at 8:51 AM, Redtravel said:

Ask about acceptable attire,  and you will get people worked up. Everyone has their own idea of what to wear on a cruise. Keep it clean and simple. It is nice packing for an Oceania cruise.  Leave the dressy clothes home. It is your cruise. Wear whatever suits you. Chico’s for women is a good option. The travelers collection packs well and does not wrinkle. It also stretches should you gain a few pounds. 

LOL!!! Loved it! Chico’s with stretch 👍

Denise😊

On 8/28/2019 at 10:38 AM, ORV said:

It's nice that you have an opinion, while I don't wear jeans to dinner it's good for the folks that do like designer jeans that you're not in charge. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

Denim in the dining room is a subject that’s been discussed at great length.  FWIW on my recent 10 day cruise I never saw anyone wearing any type of jeans in any dining venue for dinner.  One would have been in the definite minority on this particular cruise. People were dressed appropriately.  Smart casual, business casual for dinner. 

Said it multiple times and will repeat it again for the newbies. Proper attire is mostly whatever the hostess or maitre de of that venue , on that night, says it is. Fairly simple actually! While one hostess may let you slip by in those blue jeans it looks like you slept you, another will stop you from entering. 

Only request is, if stopped, please be a good little boy or girl and go change as directed. Don’t make a scene proclaiming righteous indignation for all to laugh at. I have never seen a restaurant manager overrule a hostess decision. Just leave quietly and go change.

For the guy this month on the Nautica that was ushered out of Horizons , at afternoon tea, in his bathrobe and swimsuit; or the guy that attempted  to come to the Captain’s reception in his running shorts and sweaty tee shirt, Grow Up is all I can say! The daily Currents specifically addressed those venues and appropriate dress! 

• Like 1

Mura;

I believe others have also reported on the bathrobe thing at Tea. Amazing! Also amazing is that it must be such an ongoing issue in that it is addressed daily in the Currents where it specifically says No bathrobes or swimwear at afternoon Tea! 

Also on the day of the Captain’s reception the dress code for that event was published. Guess all these sophisticated cruisers some here talk about just never find time to read their Currents or they don’t believe it applies to them.

You used to see the bathrobes at breakfast in the Terrace  but  have not seen many lately  ..thank goodness

Most people do dress nicely  but there are a few that like to push the envelope  ..as they say

It is not like you have to wear  ballgowns & Tuxes  on O  but why cannot people just dress nicely  for the evenings 🙄

JMO

Oceania's posted dress code is "Country Club Casual" which means casual not over dressed or lower end grubby. It is still astounding that people can not  or will not adhere to this, but keep trying to lower the bar of what is acceptable attire.

3 hours ago, jackdeb said:

"Country Club Casual"

On another thread more than one person commented that their "country club" allows jeans.  So I suppose that opens the subject up a bit.  But the cruise line can specify no jeans.  Mind you, I'M not going to wear them.

What do you say to the person that belongs to a very rural (country) "name the club here" (e.g. Sons of the Anarchists M.C.)?  Sleeveless unbuttoned denim top (complete with colors on back), torn faded jeans with chain attached to wallet dangling and of course, boots and a bandana headband.  That opens up a whole new line of discussion.  🤯  Before the usuals jump on this, I am joking but making the point that as mentioned above about the judgement of the Host/Hostess there can be great disparity (right or wrong) as to what Country Club Casual means not only by staff, but also by passengers.

That's the problem, Oceania says no "casual jeans" in their dress code. For those that remember they used to specify "no jeans". Due to that change one would have to come to the conclusion that if jeans are not the casual type then they are allowed. If they didn't want designer jeans they would specify that also. 

We've always had people here that try to interpret the dress code to match their bias. Just read it and follow it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ropomo said:

What do you say to the person that belongs to a very rural (country) "name the club here" (e.g. Sons of the Anarchists M.C.)?  Sleeveless unbuttoned denim top (complete with colors on back), torn faded jeans with chain attached to wallet dangling and of course, boots and a bandana headband.  That opens up a whole new line of discussion.  🤯  Before the usuals jump on this, I am joking but making the point that as mentioned above about the judgement of the Host/Hostess there can be great disparity (right or wrong) as to what Country Club Casual means not only by staff, but also by passengers.

We leave our Colours at  home 😉

Just like some rallies where there is  a mix of clubs

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, carlsbadguy said:

First Oceania cruise and my wife was wondering appropriate dress for dinner. It is a November Med cruise so will probably be cool. Are pants okay for women?

For men is a jacket necessary? Usually do not ever wear one at home. 

Basically a "pant suit" for women is fine. For men a button down collared shirt & khakis is fine. Many pax will kick it up a notch in the specialties. So something sparkly for women & a sport coat for men(without tie)is pretty common.

1 hour ago, ropomo said:

I think Country Club casual is pretty self explanatory. Really saw no jeans in the various dining rooms(Riviera)

53 minutes ago, keithm said:

a button down collared shirt

I think a 'better' golf shirt would be alright also.  Bob has some that are fine for golf but nothing else and then he has some that are quite nice (and not worn out!).  With a Docker-style pant I think it's fine.

Regarding jeans, as much as I personally disapprove, people here have said that their "country club" and I made the distinction over a "golf club" allowed jeans it does kinda open the door.  Again, I think the cruise line, if they choose, would have to say something like "country club casual but no jeans allowed please."  I'll also admit that my fashionista daughter and her similar husband when decked out in their $300 jeans, nice tops and shoes look a lot better than many people I see in restaurants.  Taste is such a subjective thing, isn't it?

• Like 1