There are a lot of very negative reviews of Getaway?

On 8/27/2019 at 10:57 AM, GA Dave said:

Normally on the non-Haven ships (i.e., Gem class, etc.), they hold suite guest breakfast and lunch in Moderno and/or Cagney's.  On the BA ships, the Moderno breakfast buffet is normally for everyone.

Just an FYI:  There is also usually coffee and Danish available at the outdoor portion of the Sunset Bar on the Waterfront each morning (see below for location).

IMG_1193.JPG

Thank you! I will look for this place!

I sailed the Getaway last september and mostly enjoyed it.  My only 2 small letdowns were the MDR food and the Solo Studios Host.   Compared to other NCL ships I've sailed the MDR food was bad... really bad... not well prepared and served cold.  Food in the Garden Café was actually better than MDR.

When I travel solo I specifically book cruises on NCL as I love their Solo Studios, the lounges and most importantly the Solo Studios Host who coordinated shows, dinners, socials and parties for solo travellers.  I've had absolutely awesome experiences with the Hosts on several cruises on the Escape and Bliss.  Sadly the Host on the Getaway last year was barely "phoning it in" and didn't seem to care much about the group.

Of course those were very minor letdowns during an otherwise very enjoyable cruise.  I would sail that ship again without hesitation.  

My CC review of that cruise:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=634730 

Pat

On 8/26/2019 at 4:46 AM, joejoe 59 said:

Love everybody's great positive attitudes, you will find whingers everywhere,  we choose to ignore them & make up our own mind's. 

We fly from oz next year to cruise the Med on Getaway, can't wait.

We are cruising to the Med on Getaway next year too.  What date are you booked?

I've had the pleasure of sailing on the Getaway once and the Breakaway once with a second time booked for January. Love BOTH ships immensely. The food, the shows, the staff - - all wonderful! I've been sailing with NCL exclusively since 2001. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Looking forward to my first Joy cruise Jan 2021; go-karts! Virtual reality rides! Laser tag!

Edited by Suite Heart
additional text

When we were on the Breakaway at Easter I ended up talking to someone at a bar one day, who was complaining about a few things. Mainly it was about things like table settings being incorrect and things like that. The main gripe they had was that when at dinner they saw someone seated at a table who then decided that they would prefer a different question. Apparently, whilst they were sitting there the woman picked up her napkin and put it down again. She thought that the table should have been cleared and relaid, but it wasn't.

Anyway she kept on saying how she was very observant about things like this, and always notices such things. She seemed to think that this was something a very positive thing.

I remember thinking about it afterwards, and considering how differently what she was saying sounded to her and me.

Her version: "I am very observant. It's like a super power and means that I see lots of things that others don't. Therefore I am better than you because you don't notice them"

My version: "I am very observant. It's like a super power and means I can have a miserable time whilst you are enjoying yourself"

🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

We cruise May 28th first time in Europe, flying from Australia.

We are booked on the May 28th cruise too.  We went on a similar one 3 years ago on Royal Caribbean.  Several of the same ports but a few new ones too.  We are really looking forward to it!  Have you thought about any shore excursions yet?  I think we will definitely plan on one in Naples/Amalfi Coast.  We took one 3years ago and it was amazing.  Will probably book one in Florence too, although we visited Tuscany last year.  Lots to look forward to!

We cruised the Getaway last November and enjoyed the cruise and the ship- I think that everyone looks at different things when cruising. We had sailed the Escape 5 months prior so we compared the 2 and felt the escape was an overall better experience but again we still enjoyed the Getaway we just had several evenings with staff that wasn’t very attentive. Also, their seemed to be many more chair hogs on the Getaway - I think those issues were cruise related and not ship related - Enjoy! 

5 hours ago, jancl57 said:

We are booked on the May 28th cruise too.  We went on a similar one 3 years ago on Royal Caribbean.  Several of the same ports but a few new ones too.  We are really looking forward to it!  Have you thought about any shore excursions yet?  I think we will definitely plan on one in Naples/Amalfi Coast.  We took one 3years ago and it was amazing.  Will probably book one in Florence too, although we visited Tuscany last year.  Lots to look forward 

Oops sorry we are on the 18th cruise not 28th.

Edited by joejoe 59
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2019 at 1:37 PM, KeithJenner said:

When we were on the Breakaway at Easter I ended up talking to someone at a bar one day, who was complaining about a few things. Mainly it was about things like table settings being incorrect and things like that. The main gripe they had was that when at dinner they saw someone seated at a table who then decided that they would prefer a different question. Apparently, whilst they were sitting there the woman picked up her napkin and put it down again. She thought that the table should have been cleared and relaid, but it wasn't.

Anyway she kept on saying how she was very observant about things like this, and always notices such things. She seemed to think that this was something a very positive thing.

I remember thinking about it afterwards, and considering how differently what she was saying sounded to her and me.

Her version: "I am very observant. It's like a super power and means that I see lots of things that others don't. Therefore I am better than you because you don't notice them"

My version: "I am very observant. It's like a super power and means I can have a miserable time whilst you are enjoying yourself"

🙂

I agree with Keith’s post. I had a work colleague - who was in a senior position and we attended frequent functions with our wife's, and he and his wife constantly criticized and moaned - and eventually my wife and I came to the conclusion that it was just how they made conversation with each other. 

We enjoy our holidays - and generally are able to laugh off the not so great experiences - and on our cruises to date cannot recall a single bad meal - there may have been a so-so  or “not for me” dish in a meal, but I cannot recall any entire meal that IMO was poor. 

We love margaritas - and soon realized that cruise ships use a margarita mix and they are poor - so we don’t order them as there are so many other options - and it reminds us of the other things we like and sometimes discover new options.

Part of the fun of being on holiday is eating and drinking (and experiencing) things you don’t in your day to day life - and there will be things that you then say “tried it - wasn’t to my taste and won’t ask for it again”.

looking forward to the Getaway 

• Like 2

I agree with those of you who say some people just like moaning! Seen and heard it on every cruise. If you go with the intention of checking out every little thing then you are bound to find something to whinge about.

I prefer to go thinking I’m on my holidays, let’s have a great time....and I do! Never had a bad cruise, some better than others but never a bad one.

I remember on a P&O cruise with my niece, we were having a drink before the entertainment and a couple joined us at the table. I asked how their cruise was going....wrong question. They proceeded to moan about everything, strange as we were having a ball.

We excused ourselves and moved tables 😱

I know misery loves company but no one is going to try and ruin my evening 😂

To the OP enjoy your cruise, I’m 100% sure you will.

cheers

Pat

xx

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just refreshing my original post - and interested to see that Deeliteful is currently on board. 

I again see the reviews are terrible for Getaway - but the strange thing is that they are mostly first time reviewers - it seems so strange that such a big proportion when there are so many frequent cruisers?

The consistent themes seem to be very long waits to embark, slow service, and long waits for tenders (which we did experience on Epic). When we cruised on Epic last year it was a pretty full Med cruise - but apart from after the drill on the first evening I cannot recall ever having a long wait to get served at a bar.

Recent feedback would be appreciated - including Deeliteful (by the way my parents met whilst both teachers at Harrogate Grammer School).

19 minutes ago, happytravellers2 said:

Just refreshing my original post - and interested to see that Deeliteful is currently on board. 

I again see the reviews are terrible for Getaway - but the strange thing is that they are mostly first time reviewers - it seems so strange that such a big proportion when there are so many frequent cruisers?

The consistent themes seem to be very long waits to embark, slow service, and long waits for tenders (which we did experience on Epic). When we cruised on Epic last year it was a pretty full Med cruise - but apart from after the drill on the first evening I cannot recall ever having a long wait to get served at a bar.

Recent feedback would be appreciated - including Deeliteful (by the way my parents met whilst both teachers at Harrogate Grammer School).

She has an active review going, it's on page 2.

Yes, I did see that, which was why I specifically mentioned her because she was the last person to post to my original question. 

I will follow her review on the forum, but would be interested in some feedback specific to the moans currently posted in recent reviews.

1 hour ago, happytravellers2 said:

Yes, I did see that, which was why I specifically mentioned her because she was the last person to post to my original question. 

I will follow her review on the forum, but would be interested in some feedback specific to the moans currently posted in recent reviews.

We just got off after Thanksgiving week.  We like NCL but will never again go onThanksgiving week or on the Getaway.  It was way overbooked with about 1200 kids onboard and service was very slow.  Tenders were bad as well.  Initially it was supposed to dock but then we had to tender in Roatan.

• Like 1

We did a 9 day Getaway last month and were the first cruise out of New Orleans this year.  Had a great time!  Loved seeing Million Dollar Quartet again.   Burn the Floor show was excellent also.  Embarkation and Disembarkation went smoothly, however we are Platinum Plus and that does help some.   Never met our room steward, but room was kept up very nicely.  He (or she?) read our note and emptied fridge for us.   All of the staff we interacted with on board were helpful and friendly.  Not many kids on our 9 day cruise with disembarkation on Nov 20th.

Restaurants were good, but I wouldn't pay the up-charge to get Surf and Turf at Ocean Blue again.  Nice filet with at tiny but tasty lobster tail.  Having said that, we ate a 2nd time at Ocean Blue and really enjoyed both meals.  Also enjoyed our meals at La Cucina, Cagney's and Le Bistro.  Had a couple of meals in the MDR and O'Sheehans and enjoyed both.  

Yes, tendering is a pain at Roatan.  Construction going on at the dock so only ship could dock (RCL.).  Our tenders had to circle the RCL ship and then wait for the prior tender to pull away.    We love Roatan, but right now the port area is totally messed up.  We still enjoyed our day at Maya Key, but without an excursion I would choose to stay on board until the port area is usable again. 

Loved Harvest Caye (again).  Very nice day at the beach.  Pool area is especially nice.   There are lots of loungers available at the beach or around the pool.  If you want one close to the pool you need to hurry over.....or sleep in and arrive later when some are returning to the ship for lunch.

The ship was looking good and the staff was great!

On 9/8/2019 at 9:25 AM, happytravellers2 said:

I agree with Keith’s post. I had a work colleague - who was in a senior position and we attended frequent functions with our wife's, and he and his wife constantly criticized and moaned - and eventually my wife and I came to the conclusion that it was just how they made conversation with each other. 

Some people are not happy unless they are miserable. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sykimball1498 said:

We just got off after Thanksgiving week.  We like NCL but will never again go onThanksgiving week or on the Getaway.  It was way overbooked with about 1200 kids onboard and service was very slow.  

Wow, that's a lot of kids - I guess because of Thanksgiving. 

We are on the Getaway during upcoming March Break and I'm guessing there would be that many kids then too? Yikes.  On the 'plus' side, it would increase the chances that our boys (14 & 11) could make friends their own age and enjoy the fun of the waterslides / rope course / basketball court / rock wall, etc... 

Edited by GettotheSun

8 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

We did a 9 day Getaway last month and were the first cruise out of New Orleans this year.  Had a great time!  Loved seeing Million Dollar Quartet again.   Burn the Floor show was excellent also.  Embarkation and Disembarkation went smoothly, however we are Platinum Plus and that does help some.   Never met our room steward, but room was kept up very nicely.  He (or she?) read our note and emptied fridge for us.   All of the staff we interacted with on board were helpful and friendly.  Not many kids on our 9 day cruise with disembarkation on Nov 20th.

Restaurants were good, but I wouldn't pay the up-charge to get Surf and Turf at Ocean Blue again.  Nice filet with at tiny but tasty lobster tail.  Having said that, we ate a 2nd time at Ocean Blue and really enjoyed both meals.  Also enjoyed our meals at La Cucina, Cagney's and Le Bistro.  Had a couple of meals in the MDR and O'Sheehans and enjoyed both.  

Yes, tendering is a pain at Roatan.  Construction going on at the dock so only ship could dock (RCL.).  Our tenders had to circle the RCL ship and then wait for the prior tender to pull away.    We love Roatan, but right now the port area is totally messed up.  We still enjoyed our day at Maya Key, but without an excursion I would choose to stay on board until the port area is usable again. 

Loved Harvest Caye (again).  Very nice day at the beach.  Pool area is especially nice.   There are lots of loungers available at the beach or around the pool.  If you want one close to the pool you need to hurry over.....or sleep in and arrive later when some are returning to the ship for lunch.

The ship was looking good and the staff was great!

I was on the week after you and my experience was similar, except I saw my room steward constantly.  Even the last night when I was setting out my luggage, I opened my door and he was about two doors away. He took my bag and immediately moved it to the storage area for pick up.  

Did not eat in Ocean Blue but had great meals in Le Bistro, Cagney's, La Cucina and Moderno (my first time there though it was my 4th trip on the Getaway).  Something others overlook is breakfast in Margaritaville...very similar food to the Garden Cafe but much smaller and quieter crowd.  I know others don't have this luxury but I will never sail when school is out, whether it is holidays or summer.  Nothing against kids but just don't want to be around too many on a ship.

I only had two disappointments...embarkation seemed to be a mess (even being Platinum) and Shanghai noodle bar is not what it used to be in the past.  It was one of my favorites before but this time the wait was long and food had no flavor.

While not every cruise is an awesome amazing experience, I have never had a bad cruise (my one Carnival cruise came close though).  I make my own good times and don't sweat the small stuff.  It sure beats working!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, spanishguy1970 said:

I read the reviews of a ship and take the negative comments with a grain of salt. We have a 19 day cruise coming up on the Getaway and we will make our own judgments on how the cruise is. Is been our experience that people will complain no matter what.

So how was your 19 day cruise?