YIKES! Have you been reading the reviews of RSSC on CC?

forgap

1 hour ago, Tucson54 said:

Am really nervous - we booked a cruse on Navigator - what's wrong with that ship??

There is nothing "wrong" with the ship.  In my opinion, it a great entry ship for sailing on Regent.  Since the ship is smaller, it is cozier and people tend to enjoy the feel of the small ship.  However, since the ship is small, it does not have a forward Observation Lounge and only has one specialty restaurant (which isn't too bad since the offerings in Compass Rose are extensive and they do put a couple of items on the menu each day that is usually served on other ships that have more specialty restaurants.)

In our 15 years with Regent, we have gradually changed what is important to us on a ship.  We started with the Paul Gauguin (when it was managed by Radission/Regent).  Then we went to the Voyager and she was our favorite ship until Explorer was launched.  In the next two years we are only sailing on Explorer and Splendor but have many cruises on the other three ships and they were all enjoyable. I would not be concerned about sailing on Navigator.

Mariner was our "entry" ship,  and we sailed on Voyager before we ever sailed on Navigator.  The first time we were on Navigator, we were exploring the ship, and suddenly we "ran out of ship" and realized we were actually on a smaller ship.  We ended up doing most of our cruises on Navigator; one more each on Mariner and Voyager, but mostly Navigator.  The crew on Navigator was always like family.  One time our door was open while the crew brought luggage on; one of the head waiters passed our door, saw me standing there, dropped the luggage and gave me a huge hug.  Several crew members remembered us from trip to trip, and called us by name.  Navigator is a wonderful ship.

• Like 1

We've only sailed on the Explorer and the Mariner so far, we're booked on the Splendor this April (b2b) followed with a booking on the Navigator which we are looking forward to cruising on her.  Sit back and enjoy your cruise, so drop your worries and relax.

I suspect that "overly picky" reviews may be related to Regent's pricing which has increased greatly during this century. Earlier in this century we used to take 7 night cruises on Regent for about $350 per day per person per day. Now I see some cruises at $1000 per person per day. That's close to 300% inflation -- much more than the general rate. This couples with the fact that economy air is no longer doable for most of us, so we must book pricy business class for all flight segments in North America. And this couples with the decreased reliability of airlines, inadequacy of airports, and fewer direct flights. All these factors just might increase a person's expectation of the cruise experience beyond reason. Other cruise lines have also greatly increased fares, and this may have increased negative reviews for them also.

Let me put it this way. Suppose I buy two new cars today, one for $25K and the other for $65K. I get them home and find that they perform, handle, and ride just the same. the $25K car will get an excellent review and the $65K car will get a negative one. 

In short, high cruise prices and hassles to get to the cruise may cause expectations to get out of line.

We've been on two Mariner cruises in the past few years. To be totally objective about the cruises themselves, they were great! But getting there, getting back, and paying for the whole experience was painful.

• Like 1

I don't get Dolebludger's reasoning.  If I had a car that cost $25K and another than cost $65K, unless they were absolutely identical (upholstery, safety features, interior, warranty, ride, gas mileage, etc. etc. etc.) I would not rate the $65K car lower just because it cost more.  I also do not rate Regent based on cost.  We have sailed on mainstream (only 1 cruise), premium/premium plus, (two cruises), Regent (thirty three cruises) and other luxury lines (3 cruises).  My rating on each cruise is based on food, service,  ambience, the suite, etc.  

I understand that gasoline used to be 25 cents a gallon and other things were dirt cheap.  That was then and this is now.  Prices have gone up and we either pay the prices or choose something else.  Regent is doing quite well and they are not going to lower prices just because some passengers are complaining.  In my opinion, we need to be looking forward - not backward.

28 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Just my theory as to why all the negative reviews. You can believe or not. I don’t care. And yes, gas used to be 25 cents a gallon, but not in 2006.

I looked and looked and could not find where I posted (or even thought) that gasoline was 25 center a gallon in 2006.  Obviously, it was many years before that.

IF the negative reviews mentioned the cost, I might agree with you just a bit but I don't recall anyone bringing up cost.  In my opinion, the reviews clearly showed that the reviewers expectations were way off.  It seems that some people should rent a yacht and crew rather than going on a luxury cruise line.  If they are that fussy, Regent is not for them.

The math nerd in me needs to point out that it would be 200% inflation,  not 300%. And a large amount of that has to be the now-included business class air for overseas flights. 

I'm not saying the cruises aren't really expensive, they are. That's why our last cruise was in category F2. But you have to compare apples to apples. 

Yes, the reviewer’s expectations were way off. And it is my theory that high costs were in part responsible for the erroneous inflated expectations. We looked a Paul Guiguan cruise in a regular balcony. When we totaled the cost including business and first class fare, we were qt $30,000. At least we didn’t go and write a negative review based on the subconscious and correct opinion that the cruise didn’t measure up to that sort of money. Instead, we didn’t book it. Indeed, we don feel that any 19 day cruise could be good enough to live up to that cost.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I don't get Dolebludger's reasoning.  If I had a car that cost $25K and another than cost $65K, unless they were absolutely identical (upholstery, safety features, interior, warranty, ride, gas mileage, etc. etc. etc.) I would not rate the $65K car lower just because it cost more.

What about reliability?

If the $25K car proved to be more reliable than the £65K car, would value for money not become a consideration?

The  UK J. D. Power survey for 2019 makes interesting reading.

Can totally understand about the cost of getting to a cruise, and how that may be a consideration in the final evaluation.

We travel and enjoy European cruising but it can take 24-36 hours to reach our destination. We also would not travel in anything less than business these days.

When choosing a luxury travel product it is  about the anticipated quality experience. 

However when paying a premium price of course expectations are in line with the cost.

Wonderful that there is so much choice and life is too short to make bad ones. 

Forums like this one are invaluable for information from fellow travellers.

Good to hear the bad reviews do not reflect the reality. An inclusive product has a lot of appeal to us and we are interested in cruising with Regent sometime in the future. 

• Like 2

I aqree that people's expectations of perfection will almost always set them up for disappointment, but am less sure that the cost is a huge factor is setting those expectations.

For a non-cruise example, just take a look at the expectations that some people have for their weddings.  If, say, the wine is not at exactly the right temperature, then they feel that the whole wedding is ruined. Is there a difference in attitude for these folks for a small intimate wedding compared to a huge one?  I suspect not, but am just guessing.

For cruises, because the ships are complicated machines that sometimes break and destinations are subject to local weather, politics, etc. an attitude of "ship happens" is always a good idea.

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I would not rate the $65K car lower just because it cost more.

Exactly.  I'm an avid follower of many review forums when I travel.  Sadly many  people do rate something (cruises, hotels, etc.) lower because they cost more.  It makes it tough because sometimes the number one rated hotel, for example, is really not the best, it's the cheapest.  I don't care about the cheapest, I care about the best.  Regent is the same way. It's not the cheapest, but you get much more than you do on mainstream lines.  We've only done 1 Regent and 33 other cruises.  It's worth the money for me.  That's the bottom line.  What does one value and which cruise line (or car) delivers the value.  

6 hours ago, English Voyager said:

What about reliability?

If the $25K car proved to be more reliable than the £65K car, would value for money not become a consideration?

The  UK J. D. Power survey for 2019 makes interesting reading.

Interesting question. There are many reliable cars in the $25K price range and some expensive cars are notorious for having problems but they are status symbols.  I am personally not into status symbols but some people pay a heck of a lot of money for “status” cars with little, if any, consideration to what it costs.

papaflamingo - once again, we agree.  I hadn’t thought about why some less that stellar hotels are rated highly on TripAdvisor.  I will look at their reviews differently in the future.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 3:32 PM, Tucson54 said:

Am really nervous - we booked a cruse on Navigator - what's wrong with that ship??

From another Tucsonan, there is NOTHING wrong with Navigator!  Sailed on her twice, the last time for 24 days.  Love that there are only 450 passengers, the ship is smaller than the rest of the fleet.  The theater is the best in the fleet in my opinion, comfortable and great sight lines from both the upper and lower floors.

Due to the origin of the ship, there is a vibration in the aft that some find quite disturbing.  Personally, I've never noticed it, but also have not booked an aft cabin.

The other comment that many make is that there is no Observation lounge on the forward end of the ship.  However, this means that you can walk around the entire upper deck for views and exercise.

Also, even though it is small, I prefer the gym on the Navigator because of the views.  Fabulous.

I have sailed on Navigator (2), Voyager, and Mariner.  Explorer in 2020 and 2021.

• Like 1

Dolebludger, I fully agree with you.  I do believe that when people rate cruises, they are thinking about the value proposition.  I don't think there are too many travelers like papaflamingo who don't care about the cost, they just want the best.  I also agree with what you are saying about the cost of cruising Regent today versus some years ago.  I'm not going to bother to try and do an apples to apples comparison, but I believe that after adjusting for included drinks, included excursions and business class air, and whatever else, the cost of Regent cruising has increased far beyond the rate of inflation.  I'm certainly not criticizing Regent for this.

I cruise Regent in the lower level staterooms, for example, an F2 on the new ships.  On some cruises the cost exceeds $1,000 per person per day.  For that, I would expect close to perfection.  Actually, I wouldn't book that cruise.  I'd find one that's half as much, which is possible.  And I believe I get the same level of service, the same quality food, etc. as I would on the more expensive cruises.  So I'm a generally happy cruiser.

I still think it's really about what "YOU" expect and what you get for your money.  Everyone is different, everyone has what is important to them and some people just expect too much.  some people are happy and others you'll never please.  You see it all the time on this board.  Once on a ship someone didn't get a 3rd reservation at a specialty restaurant, one person didn't get a table they wanted--both said wait for the review I'm going to write.  Like I've said we've had problems on Regent, and it's how they take care of that problem that's important to us.  One time they solved the problem but not quite to our liking.  No big deal, maybe they were right.  We still cruise Regent because of all we have a good time, we like luxury so we know we have to pay more--but when we leave home I don't want to settle for less or I'd stay home.  And again we've had bigger problems in life than an hour of bad service (wishing all our problems in life would be small ones). On our last cruise those that read the blog no its didn't start out very good, a few things when wrong.  Was it bad service, not really-just things happened, did it ruin our cruise-NO! Did we wish it didn't happen, YES!  But life moves on, we had a great time anyway. One last thing if you really feel you had a bad cruise, you don't have to cruise them again---and looking at the numbers of filled ships more people are having a great time than those who don't have a good time.  We worked hard, now it's time to enjoy life while we can travel. This time if our lives should be the best times.  Remember the person that said, You only live once! Well is wrong, you live every new day, but you do only die once.  So don't worry about the little things---have a good day everyday you can...........Sorry that was a little long!

• Like 3