Just when you think the drink package can't go higher....

On 8/31/2019 at 8:19 AM, ToroAzul said:

By that clairvoyant rationale, am I smuggling in 3 weeks where I bought the package at $46 pppd? 

Get outside and take a walk papa. You're projecting whatever issues you have on me. 

Toro, not sure why you too offense to my comment.   We are moderate drinkers that drink mainly wine and on both of our Royal cruises have never had to purchase an alcoholic drink due to the fantastic Diamond happy hour.  Even on NCL, we decline the drink package and bring our own wine.

Personally, I would never smuggle alcohol on board a cruise, but that is my personal decision.  I don't care what you or others do in regard.  I know people that have tried to smuggle and had their flasks emptied.  

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Sometimes they are advertised, but the sure way to find them is to ask a bartender. 

4 hours ago, JillK said:

On the Brilliance last year and the Oasis a few years back, they showed up mid-cruise.

They were advertised in the daily planner and most of the bars also had a sign advertising them. You were able to buy them at any bar and for the mixed drink card it was $89 plus tip. Can't recall the exact price of the draft beer card which was only offered on the Brilliance.

Perhaps they only show up if booze sales aren't going as expected? 

Thanks for the info. Anyone know if they ever offer them on TAs?

On 8/31/2019 at 6:35 AM, papaflamingo said:

Baloney.  Of course you'd still smuggle.  They could charge $2 for a mixed drink and $1 for a beer and you'd still rationalize your smuggling with, for example, "gee I like  a drink on  my balcony and don't want to have to go to the bar to get it so I'll just bring on  a bit for that."  The only thing that would keep you or anyone else who smuggles from doing it is all inclusive.  Oh, before you attack me, I don't judge one for smuggling.  It's  a game really, to see if you can do it.  We don't do it anymore because we found we simply don't sit on our balcony and drink.  But I don't make any excuses. We've been caught before.  I know I'm violating the rules no excuses here and no justification. 

Here you say you've been caught.

6 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Why?  I simply think he's wrong when he says he wouldn't smuggle if the prices were lower.  Unless they're free, of course he'll smuggle.  Just like someone who says they wouldn't speed if the speed limit was 80.  Of course they would, they'd do 90.  Come on... give me a break. 

As for me?  Well duh.... First I've never been caught, I've had friends caught, but I've not been.  Second I haven't smuggled alcohol in many years...too old and it's not worth the effort for me.  Third, I admit it.  I know it's wrong and I make no excuses for it.  It has nothing to do with cost, etc.  I also like a drink on my balcony and I also find it a long walk from the stern balcony.  But that doesn't give me an excuse.  I simply admit that I know exactly what I'm doing.  

Oh, we also drink in the DL and pay as we go.  I don't drink enough to buy the package.  And you'd think I'd be more likely to smuggle, but I really don't.  I don't care if someone does or not.  I don't not because I'm "pure at heart," but because I don't drink that much anymore.  But I think people should be honest about what they do instead of some b.s. justification like "golly, if it was only cheaper I'd strictly follow the rules."  B.S. 

Here you say you've never been caught. You can't have it both ways or am I missing something?

Edited by ReneeFLL

9 hours ago, bigque said:

Wow! So I guess the $47 I paid for my upcoming cruise on Freedom next month in October is a good price! When I paid it I was like.... this is a lot, but now this post has made me happy I purchased it! 😎

The low end of the deluxe drink package onboard price is supposed to be $63. The best discount RCCL offers on the deluxe drink package in the Cruise Planner is 30% off the onboard price (Pinnacle's can get 40% off onboard, not in advance), so that would mean the best price you could generally hope for these days for the deluxe drink package is $44/day. $47/day likely is either a 25% off an onboard price of $63 or 30% off an onboard price of $68. So that $47 at the time was either the best possible price you'd get in advance, or the second best possible price you'd get in advance. Definitely a decent deal either way.

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Here you say you've been caught.

Here you say you've never been caught. You can't have it both ways or am I missing something?

Ahh...yeah...not me actually, a friend of mine has a couple of times many years ago (as I said, we got so old we just don't do it anymore).   Anyway, he got caught because he simply put a booze bottle directly in his check on luggage.  Didn't even disguise it.  It really was no big deal.  They kept it then returned it to his cabin the last night of the cruise with the liquor that people buy.  But I was fortunate, never caught.  

14 hours ago, dswallow said:

The low end of the deluxe drink package onboard price is supposed to be $63. The best discount RCCL offers on the deluxe drink package in the Cruise Planner is 30% off the onboard price (Pinnacle's can get 40% off onboard, not in advance), so that would mean the best price you could generally hope for these days for the deluxe drink package is $44/day. $47/day likely is either a 25% off an onboard price of $63 or 30% off an onboard price of $68. So that $47 at the time was either the best possible price you'd get in advance, or the second best possible price you'd get in advance. Definitely a decent deal either way.

Great! 

RCCL is full of BS, their so called Labor Day sale for our Symphony Cruise in Feb 2020 was showing $81.13 CAD it was the same price everyday 3 weeks before and today after the sale has finished it is still the same price. Absolute false advertising! So ticked off with Royal! Maybe Canadians just don't get a discount.

Edited by charmy98
spelling error

1 minute ago, charmy98 said:

RCCL is full of BS, their so called Labor Day sale for our Symphony Cruise in Feb 2020 was showing $81.13 CAD it was the same price everyday 3 weeks before and today after the sale has finished it is still the same price. Absolute false advertising! So ticked off with Royal! Maybe Canadians just don't get a discount.

The sales are NEVER for all ships and all sailings. 

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The sales are NEVER for all ships and all sailings. 

So what are they for then? When it shows in your cruise planner it is a sale price and it is no different than the price it's been for weeks.

28 minutes ago, Nado44 said:

Here on the Allure (Dorian-shortened, 4-night cruise, 9/4-8), they were offering a BOGO on the drink package. $358 for two. $262 for two if D+. Not sure if that was a good deal.

That's $44/day - pretty good discount and a rare find pre cruise in the Planner. The $262 for D+ is kinda the 30% off they get (using RCI math).

• 2 weeks later...