Radio Silence From NCL

Jetdoctorbox

8 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

I’ve called NCL and inquired several times about our cruise on the Sun due to set sail tomorrow at 4:00 pm and asked for any updates in reference to Tropical Storm Dorian. They keep telling us nothing has changed and we’ll be sailing the planned route. Well, I have to throw the BS flag on that one. For us to sail the exact same route we’d be sailing directly into the path of the storm. We are a little more than 24 hrs out from setting sail and there have been no emails sent out or updates on this cruise.  All we’re asking for is a little common courtesy.  Every other cruise line has sent out some type of response to this storm or rerouted their ships. There has been nothing more than “Radio Silence” from NCL which is unacceptable and irresponsible. Looks like this will be the last time (If we do) cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line. 

While you will leave on time for somewhere, better pack some extra undies cuz you probably won’t get back on Monday. Or Tuesday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

While you will leave on time for somewhere, better pack some extra undies cuz you probably won’t get back on Monday. Or Tuesday. 

Undies and remember if you take prescription drugs, take a few days or a week's more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

RCL has no answers. They just closed their private island. Like NCL, no change in plans when it is obvious the other ports (like Nassau next to coco cay) are just as likely going to be cloaked. 

Answers, statement, or whatever. You're being pedantic. The obvious point is that RCL chooses to post a public message about the current situation and NCL chooses not to. It's perfectly reasonable to expect NCL to post up a message even if that message states that all sailings are embarking as scheduled and further determinations will be made by captains on a case by case basis. I wish someone could tell me why this is a bad idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outerdog said:

No.

RCL closed the island and changed ports as a result of the storm. That's not changing.

Actually it may.  They might change ports again.  They might change back to original ports, they might go to other ports not yet planned.  There is no way anyone can say with 100% assurance that any cruise will NOT change an itinerary.

I agree with the lack of communication and customer service from NCL. But the good news is the cruise will leave tomorrow. We live close to PC and a relative works for PC. They cannot control what the individual cruise lines put out, but in the past, if weather was too bad to return, those cruises got extra days at sea! We are scheduled for Sun. NCL cruise from Miami and no statement there either. NCL has worst customer service ever! Would never cruise with them if it wasn't for the extreme last minute discounts we get in FL.

Edited by pmt3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Outerdog said:

The constant defending of NCL on this board is amazing. How does RCL have answers but NCL doesn't? RCL has posted an alert on their front page linking to modified itineraries along with a note that they are closely monitoring the situation and will provide additional updates soon.

Why is NCL excused from what seems to be a very reasonable expectation of communication? 

Magic wand or crystal ball? Come now. Don't be absurd.

Thank you Outerdog. I almost want to say these posters either work for NCL or somehow getting paid.  Just a bit defensive I would say.

Decided to cancel our cruise an fly to Vegas instead.  So, for all involved, happy sailing and good luck!  

Edited by Jetdoctorbox
Additional info

4 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Answers, statement, or whatever. You're being pedantic. The obvious point is that RCL chooses to post a public message about the current situation and NCL chooses not to. It's perfectly reasonable to expect NCL to post up a message even if that message states that all sailings are embarking as scheduled and further determinations will be made by captains on a case by case basis. I wish someone could tell me why this is a bad idea.

Why is it a good idea? To satisfy the morbid curiosity of people unaffected.

NCL has a very effective email and robocall system to directly communicate with people are affected by itinerary changes. We [unfortunately] have been the recipient of those robocalls before. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

Thank you Outerdog. I almost want to say these posters either work for NCL or somehow getting paid.  Just a bit defensive I would say.

Decided to cancel our cruise an fly to Vegas instead.  So, for all involved, happy sailing and good luck!  

Have fun! I guess (for those of us still going on the Sun) we will be coming back sometime next week... not sure if it will be Monday.

I guess you had insurance?

Edited by bobsfamily

7 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

Nope , false statement on working for NCL or getting paid. More likely that posters already know that there will be itinerary changes.

The logistics of what ports they can go to takes time. There  is only so much dock space available. You have mutilple cruise lines attempting to get space. Cruise lines might have preference over others.

If people (pax) don't have enough common sense to KNOW there WILL be changes

( maybe multiple), that's on them. It's been said a couple of times that NCL does put out robo-calls when they have made a FINAL decision. I've been apart of them.

One thing is certain the Captain will make the safest decision possible with the info he has. Mother Nature is soooooooooo unpredictable, as we all know, that she can change in a New York minute.

Hi folks come join us at the Hurricane zone.  Lots of people reporting what we do know vs. what we do not know.

NCL is notoriously bad about communicating broadly. They rely on direct to passenger email, robocalls, and sometimes messages in your myNCL account.

Royal and Carnival have NOT made changes to their cruises leaving Saturday and Sunday other than canceling Bahamas stops. But they have very good pages up with a list of cruises, ready to announce changes.  Go take a look.

The variability of the path means nobody want to make unnecessary departure changes.  In all cases, if a ship can sail as scheduled, it WILL.  You may not go where you planned, and you may return late, so pack extra clothes and meds.  Have your trip insurance info readily available for help with changes.  Be patient.  Flying in to Florida is going to be a challenge Sunday for some and some cruises will have to delay return and departure Sunday-Monday.  It's still just too early to make the call.

• Like 2

Thanks @PelicanBill.  Good info.

Agree.  I’ve had NCL contact me directly for any changes to a cruise or cruise itinerary vs taking a chance on me seeing a broad based posting on their WEB site regarding changes.  Some like the way they do it.  Some don’t.

Me?  I don’t care.  As long as I get some sort of notice of changes, preferably via phone or email.

I know Bahamas are “in play” for Dorian.  While it’s not a certainty, it looks like Jacksonville and/or Canaveral might be, too.

Miami is sitting there, waiting for more info (which is where I’m sailing from).  But, the most recent info I’ve got is that the storm is slowing.  But, it’s direction just can not be reliably predicted, which could explain why some of the cruise lines aren’t able to make any reliable sailing changes available.  The Cruiselines have cancelled the ports THEY KNOW will be affected.

Tomorrow will give us a clearer picture, I think!

Thanks for the good advice!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

@Jetdoctorbox......curious...how much did that cost you to cancel your cruise the week it’s scheduled to sail and make plans for Vegas?  That had to be costly!

Not judging, just curious.

I would assume the entire cost of the cruise unless they purchased cancel for any reason insurance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Outerdog said:

The constant defending of NCL on this board is amazing. How does RCL have answers but NCL doesn't? RCL has posted an alert on their front page linking to modified itineraries along with a note that they are closely monitoring the situation and will provide additional updates soon.

Why is NCL excused from what seems to be a very reasonable expectation of communication? 

Magic wand or crystal ball? Come now. Don't be absurd.

Royal has only "made a decision" on some cruises and the only decision is that they've closed Coco Cay. They still have yet to make a decision on cruises leaving 9/1 or after. Royal is still saying Mariner will disembark Monday morning - when the hurricane will be here! So no, Royal does not have answers. 

The OP is complaining about a cruise that's leaving today. Of course it's not going to be canceled! The itinerary is likely going to change, but they don't know what exactly. And depending upon the day of his disembark that might change.

Hurricane Dorian Update 8/29 12PM ET:
The safety and security of our guests and crew is always our top priority. Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, we have cancelled calls to Great Stirrup Cay for Norwegian Sky on August 30, 2019 and Norwegian Sun on August 31, 2019. We are closely monitoring the storm and will communicate any additional itinerary modifications as they become available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrabMyWrist said:

Hurricane Dorian Update 8/29 12PM ET:
The safety and security of our guests and crew is always our top priority. Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Caribbean, we have cancelled calls to Great Stirrup Cay for Norwegian Sky on August 30, 2019 and Norwegian Sun on August 31, 2019. We are closely monitoring the storm and will communicate any additional itinerary modifications as they become available.

Where did you get that update?

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

Also an FYI.  This is on the Delta Airlines site.  I am sure AA, UA, SWA, etc. are following suit.

Capture.JPG

Just saw that earlier today given I'm flying Delta.  Moved my flight from 9/1 to 8/31 yesterday.  Delta actually waived all change fees because of the storm.  So, feeling good about my change.

Sailing the Western Caribbean (away from the storm) on the Breakaway out of Miami is looking like it was the right thing to do, too.  Although, I didn't know that at the time I booked as Dorian wasn't on the radar.

Still, Miami looks like it's now "in the bubble".  We might get out of Miami just in time (fingers crossed).