Flight changed-late embarkation-will I get on?

tabprincess

9 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I was on that cruise.  The reason for the delay was because a large number of passengers were on a single flight from the north central US.  It was a large enough group to hold things up for a little bit and it did not delay arrival at the next port.  Do not think they would do that for a small group of travellers.

And sometimes even if there is a large group, the ship still needs to leave on time. Too many factors involved for us to know if the ship will stay or leave. I have known many who have missed their ship due to late flights.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I was on that cruise.  The reason for the delay was because a large number of passengers were on a single flight from the north central US.  It was a large enough group to hold things up for a little bit and it did not delay arrival at the next port.  Do not think they would do that for a small group of travellers.

What a coincidence!!  I cannot say for sure anymore, but our first port just might have been St Thomas which is only a short trip away.  Also, ships heading for Bahamas out of PE have a short trip to begin with.

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

And sometimes even if there is a large group, the ship still needs to leave on time. Too many factors involved for us to know if the ship will stay or leave. I have known many who have missed their ship due to late flights.

And precisely why, even with EZ-Air, it is worth the price of a hotel night to fly in the day before.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

What a coincidence!!  I cannot say for sure anymore, but our first port just might have been St Thomas which is only a short trip away.  Also, ships heading for Bahamas out of PE have a short trip to begin with.

I believe it was St Thomas.

Hey thanks everyone for the replies/suggestions!  Unfortunately, Southwest does not have any earlier flights out of Milwaukee that day.  I have been searching other airlines of course, but none are that much earlier.  I would love to go the day before, but my sister that I am traveling with, has a special needs daughter who is staying at a facility for the duration of the cruise and I don't know if she can get her in a day early.  She is working on it.  I contacted my TA and she says without any delays, I should be fine.  

I hope it all works out because my sister rally needs this break!

54 minutes ago, tabprincess said:

Hey thanks everyone for the replies/suggestions!  Unfortunately, Southwest does not have any earlier flights out of Milwaukee that day.  I have been searching other airlines of course, but none are that much earlier.  I would love to go the day before, but my sister that I am traveling with, has a special needs daughter who is staying at a facility for the duration of the cruise and I don't know if she can get her in a day early.  She is working on it.  I contacted my TA and she says without any delays, I should be fine.  

This may not be ideal, but why not drive down to Chicago and fly out of Midway?   Just rent a car one way the night before, drive the 3+ hours overnight, and catch the 5:30 am flight on 10/28.  Yeah, it'll suck, BUT at least you know you can catch your cruise that way since it'll arrive in FLL at 9:30am.  Just book it as a one way and change your flight back to a one way from FLL to MKE.

You can even go through O'Hare, there are 4 flights that leave before 8:00am (2 with Spirit and 1 each with Jet Blue and United according to Kayak).

Edited by K.T.B.

Your Boarding Pass will have your last boarding time listed.  If you fill out all your online data you will be listed on the manifest Princess must submit 60 minutes before departure; you do not have to be actually checked in to be on the manifest.   The air flight guidelines for Fort Lauderdale list ‘last arrival’ as one hour and 30 minutes before sailing time, which is 2:30 for you.  

It could be tight, so suggest you travel light, or be prepared to leave checked luggage in case of delays.  Keep the Enroute Desk informed of any delays, but realize that if you miss the ship you are on your own.  Insurance may or may not cover your costs to join the ship at a later port, and most will not cover you if you just turn around and go home.

Depending on the airline, they made the change so they could move you to a partner airline. You just have to call and ask. Also look at different arrival cities (MIA or FLL even west palm beach!) anything that could get you to Florida earlier.

We’ve had United change our flights twice on the last 2 cruises out of FLL and both times they made the change at no cost to us. I found the flights I wanted and they made it happen. The time I changed to fly into FLL and out of MIA was more complicated and needed a supervisor but since they made the flight change they made it right.

Good luck, I hope you can change your flight 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

This may not be ideal, but why not drive down to Chicago and fly out of Midway?   Just rent a car one way the night before, drive the 3+ hours overnight, and catch the 5:30 am flight on 10/28.  Yeah, it'll suck, BUT at least you know you can catch your cruise that way since it'll arrive in FLL at 9:30am.  Just book it as a one way and change your flight back to a one way from FLL to MKE.

You can even go through O'Hare, there are 4 flights that leave before 8:00am (2 with Spirit and 1 each with Jet Blue and United according to Kayak).

Heck, why didn't check this before?  There's a United flight out of MKE at 6:00am that makes one stop.... at O'Hare.  It arrives in FLL at 11:47.  There's an American flight that leaves at 5:23am that also makes one stop in Charolotte.  It arrives at 12:03.

You have options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tabprincess said:

I have been searching other airlines of course, but none are that much earlier. 

I agree with above and would add the following:

What's wrong with the Delta flight (DL2085) that departs MKE at 0600 and connects in ATL to DL542 arriving in FLL at 1215?

Great news everyone!  I just got off the phone with my sister and Southwest.

My sister was able to get her daughter into the care facility a day earlier and then Southwest changed us to a flight on 10/27 at no extra cost to us.  (Sis will have to pay dearly for the extra day at facility, but she is glad for the peace of mind in not a chance we will miss the ship!)

So thanks again for all the responses and know that my sister and I are now much more relaxed!!!  (Now just have to book a hotel, but that is no biggie!)

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Not from SJU.  I think you missed a couple of earlier posts in our conversation.  :classic_mellow:

Perhaps I misunderstood ... OPs itin

34 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Not from SJU.  I think you missed a couple of earlier posts in our conversation.  :classic_mellow:

I was thinking of the OPs itinerary, and obviously not following along.  Th i nx for correction.

12 minutes ago, tabprincess said:

My sister was able to get her daughter into the care facility a day earlier and then Southwest changed us to a flight on 10/27 at no extra cost to us.  (Sis will have to pay dearly for the extra day at facility, but she is glad for the peace of mind in not a chance we will miss the ship!)

So thanks again for all the responses and know that my sister and I are now much more relaxed!!!  (Now just have to book a hotel, but that is no biggie!)

Thanks for coming back to report how it all worked out for you both.  Have a great trip!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tabprincess said:

Suggest you contact the cruise line.  Usually there is a phone number for a department to call if you are delayed on departure day.  You might be able to call that number, explain the situation and see just how late you can actually arrive at the pier.  They would know better then standard customer service.

1 hour ago, tabprincess said:

Glad to hear it!

• Thanks 1

So glad OP that things worked out. I agree that it is important to get a hotel booked ASAP.  There are plenty of hotels but usually the ones closest to Port Everglades are booked out. 

Good luck and have a fantastic and wonderful time with your sister!!