Oceania Transatlantic

eby

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I am blushing 😀

Kate - it’s a two way street.

You ARE the best...and you help us all!!! Thank you...over and over again...for all you do for CCer's and for those of us lucky enough to call you a "friend"...on "sea and land"....thanks...I sure hope I tell you that every time I send you that "email"!!! ???? :) :)) 

• Like 1

Sigh .. what was I thinking?  In terms of sea day activities, I had a poor experience with a TA on Riviera and reported on it.  The report included the fact that I didn't think it was typical, and ascribed it to an incompetent cruise director.  But the venom directed at my post, ranging from ad hominem attacks along the lines of "you obviously didn't really experience what you experienced" to "how dare you criticise Oceania" were a reminder of why all over Cruise Critic the Oceania board is well-known to be the most toxic of the them all.
The good news for people considering a cruise is that those people on this board are not representative of the passengers on the actual ships, who are typically social, well-traveled, and a pleasure to be around.

• Like 2

FROM DAVID THE WONDERER "Sigh .. what was I thinking?  In terms of sea day activities, I had a poor experience with a TA on Riviera and reported on it.  The report included the fact that I didn't think it was typical, and ascribed it to an incompetent cruise director.  But the venom directed at my post, ranging from ad hominem attacks along the lines of "you obviously didn't really experience what you experienced" to "how dare you criticise Oceania" were a reminder of why all over Cruise Critic the Oceania board is well-known to be the most toxic of the them all.
The good news for people considering a cruise is that those people on this board are not representative of the passengers on the actual ships, who are typically social, well-traveled, and a pleasure to be around."

David the Wonderer - WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?  Are people not allowed to have opinions and does everyone always have to agree.  People can state their opinions and be respectful.  No one on this board is "toxic" as you call it.  

On 8/29/2019 at 12:21 PM, DavidTheWonderer said:

and sea day activities were pretty well restricted to baggo.

David - this is a verbatim quote from you.

Do you maintain that this is a fact or just your impression of activities on your cruise?

Did you really expect people to believe that the ONLY activity on the entire TA was baggo and not question you on this?

Your cruise might have been a little different from others and you might not have liked the CD but even though I was not on that cruise I am absolutely positive that there were multiple other activities offered in addition to baggo.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 12:21 PM, DavidTheWonderer said:

There is always variations from cruise-to-cruise, so my TA experience on Riviera is prrobably not indicative of yours.  But for mine the cruise director was largely incompetent, and sea day activities were pretty well restricted to baggo.

I could not agree more.

After getting hooked on Crystal -- where the sea days are the attraction -- I was utterly bored on Marina.

Baggo, bingo, trivia (only good if CD knows how to do it right), utterly mediocre lecturers, an occasional entertaining cooking lesson from the Executive Chef . . . . .  jewelry hype, spa hype, future cruises hype.  You need to be able to entertain yourself.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I could not agree more.

After getting hooked on Crystal -- where the sea days are the attraction -- I was utterly bored on Marina.

Baggo, bingo, trivia (only good if CD knows how to do it right), utterly mediocre lecturers, an occasional entertaining cooking lesson from the Executive Chef . . . . .  jewelry hype, spa hype, future cruises hype.  You need to be able to entertain yourself.

I notice that you said you got hooked on Crystal in May 2018 but you started the Roll Call for the Riviera Transatlantic March 31 2020 in Apr of 2018.  Are you still booked on the Riviera for March 31st?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paulchili said:

David - this is a verbatim quote from you.

Do you maintain that this is a fact or just your impression of activities on your cruise?

Did you really expect people to believe that the ONLY activity on the entire TA was baggo and not question you on this?

Your cruise might have been a little different from others and you might not have liked the CD but even though I was not on that cruise I am absolutely positive that there were multiple other activities offered in addition to baggo.

That's what I was trying to tell you the other day Paul, you WERE on the cruise he is referring to. 

22 minutes ago, ORV said:

That's what I was trying to tell you the other day Paul, you WERE on the cruise he is referring to. 

I obviously missed that part.

How did you know David was referring to that particular Riviera TA cruise?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Maybe the only O cruise they took ??

I recall them complaining about having to sign for drinks even with the Prestige package   but they love Azamara

go figure  🙄

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

As far as I know it's the only Oceania cruise they've been on. If I remember correctly there was a Cabin Crawl and their PH room was one of the rooms on the crawl. Or I could have been drinking and dreamed the whole thing up. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ORV said:

As far as I know it's the only Oceania cruise they've been on. If I remember correctly there was a Cabin Crawl and their PH room was one of the rooms on the crawl. Or I could have been drinking and dreamed the whole thing up. 

Obviously your memory is much better than mine  🙂

• Like 1

I would like to say...based on being LUCKY enough...to have sailed O a number of times...that  1) love the product (BTH I can only afford the T/As) and 2) Every one I have done...has been just the best...from the food..to the "lectures'" to the Trivia and 3) I have met people like "Paulchilli" who have helped me over the years ...because he is willing to share his expertise on travel/cruising etc. 

And you know what???? EVERYONE...has a different experience...but that doesn't make one "right or wrong"... I do love O...and I think the "reason" that CC exists...is to share our experience///help///thoughts///ideas etc. 

Can we just not try and be "compadres" in travel...??? and CARE about each other???  I think that is want most of us want???? 

Edited by LuAnn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ORV said:

Yes, you're right ORV.  Sorry, I've lost the roll-call list for that cruise so don't remember you precisely.

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe the only O cruise they took ??

I recall them complaining about having to sign for drinks even with the Prestige package   but they love Azamara

go figure  🙄

We very much enjoyed Azamara. Would not say "love", but certainly would cruise with them again in the right circumstances.  Not sure what kind of perjorative the "go figure" was meant to be.

8 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Can we just not try and be "compadres" in travel...??? and CARE about each other???  I think that is want most of us want???? 

Yes please, and thank you for this, LuAnn.  No enemies here, just differing opinions.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2019 at 12:01 PM, LuAnn said:

I would like to say...based on being LUCKY enough...to have sailed O a number of times...that  1) love the product (BTH I can only afford the T/As) and 2) Every one I have done...has been just the best...from the food..to the "lectures'" to the Trivia and 3) I have met people like "Paulchilli" who have helped me over the years ...because he is willing to share his expertise on travel/cruising etc. 

And you know what???? EVERYONE...has a different experience...but that doesn't make one "right or wrong"... I do love O...and I think the "reason" that CC exists...is to share our experience///help///thoughts///ideas etc. 

I like your positive  attitude !  It's refreshing as opposed to people complaining all the time.   We've been on maybe 15 cruises.  Most of them since we retired.  The one Oceania Cruise we took was great as were the others.  What's to complain about nothing.  Look around, turn on the TV, we are pretty LUCKY ! 

• Like 3