Probably Silly Question

Firepath

BTW, nor do portholes on lower decks - the fixings around portholes aren't to open it - they're to lower a heavy metal cover over the porthole (effectively turning it into an "inside" cabin) when in seriously rough weather. 

JB :classic_smile:

Whether windows and portholes open depends on the age of the ship and location.

The windows on newer ships - not aware of any that open.

Portholes - as JB metioned, on lower decks and fwd they don't open and have a "deadlight" which covers the glass and creates a seal. These are lowered by the crew upon orders from the Bridge. These cannot be opened until ordered by the Bridge.

On some older tonnage you may still find opening portholes. Not sure if any pax ships still have scoops that went out the porthole to draw in fresh air.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

On some older tonnage you may still find opening portholes. Not sure if any pax ships still have scoops that went out the porthole to draw in fresh air.

My Dad tells of having a couple of scoops fabricated for his room and some others on board a carrier.  They were up near the bow, and the porthole almost looked down.  He was very careful to not leave his scoop out, when not in the room.  His buddy was not so careful.  So they hit some heavier seas, and his buddy found about a foot of water in his room. 😄

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 3:41 PM, Firepath said:

Do ocean view windows open?

Regarding the title of your thread:  As a new member of Cruise Critic, please do not consider whatever questions you may have to be "silly" when you post them.  Cruise Critic exists to share information among cruisers, experienced or not.  I think most of us who regularly try to participate on this Forum are pleased when we are able to help other cruisers based upon our own experiences.  

As Heidi13 explained about "deadlights", I once had an outside stateroom with a porthole on the lowest passenger deck of the S. S. Oceanic.  Due to possible rough seas, I returned to my stateroom one evening to discover that my outside stateroom had become an "inside" stateroom because the deadlight covered my porthole and was bolted down tight.  Surprised, but, upon reflection, since my bed was directly beneath the porthole, I don't think that I would have appreciated having a wave break my porthole's glass, dumping sea water on me, and flooding my stateroom.  

• Like 4

We chose an outside cabin for our first cruise because I thought I might feel claustrophobic inside. We were way down low, cos that was what we could afford. For much of the cruise the porthole was locked shut as described above. Next cruise we decided to go for inside cabin from the start rather than paying for daylight we might not get!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Not true, if it was that poor baby would be alive.

It took me a few seconds to figure out to what you were referring.  Such a tragedy that the person who was responsible will take that memory to their grave.

As you realize, the OP was asking about stateroom ocean view windows.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

It took me a few seconds to figure out to what you were referring.  Such a tragedy that the person who was responsible will take that memory to their grave.

As you realize, the OP was asking about stateroom ocean view windows.  

I do realize that the OP was referring to cabins.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 2:21 PM, Friend100 said:

Celebrity Edge Infinite Verandas stateroom ... I think you can call it a "closed verandah" or an "open oceanview"

https://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/accommodations/infinite-verandas/

This is closer to a balcony. I'm sure the pricing is higher than what one would consider an oceanview room to cost.

12 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

This is closer to a balcony. I'm sure the pricing is higher than what one would consider an oceanview room to cost.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:21 PM, Friend100 said:

Celebrity Edge Infinite Verandas stateroom ... I think you can call it a "closed verandah" or an "open oceanview"

https://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/accommodations/infinite-verandas/

The glass doors fold back (rather than sliding), and the top half of the "outer" window slides down at the touch of a button, as the vid shows from 1' 50" 

Very definitely an up-market balcony cabin.

JB :classic_smile: 

Edited by John Bull

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 8:33 PM, dkjretired said:

Not true, if it was that poor baby would be alive.

That "baby" was not in a cabin but in a public space when she fell.  Many ships have moving windows scattered around certain spaces on the pool deck (and some other areas).  These sliding windows (which are generally heavy and have a safety mechanism to prevent children from moving them, are used on some pool decks to allow for additional air flow/ventilation on hot days.  Keep in mind that the baby only fell through the relatively high open window because her Grandfather had lift ed her to the railing.  A real tragedy.    While it is not possible to fall through a sealed window in an outside cabin, there are also many balcony cabins where it would be possible to fall or jump...although there is always a barrier up to a few feet high.  Lifting a child up to a railing is never a good idea...nor is it wise for a couple to make "whoopie" on the railing of their balcony (a couple once fell off a ship doing just that).

Hank

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

That "baby" was not in a cabin but in a public space when she fell.  Many ships have moving windows scattered around certain spaces on the pool deck (and some other areas).  These sliding windows (which are generally heavy and have a safety mechanism to prevent children from moving them, are used on some pool decks to allow for additional air flow/ventilation on hot days.  Keep in mind that the baby only fell through the relatively high open window because her Grandfather had lift ed her to the railing.  A real tragedy.    While it is not possible to fall through a sealed window in an outside cabin, there are also many balcony cabins where it would be possible to fall or jump...although there is always a barrier up to a few feet high.  Lifting a child up to a railing is never a good idea...nor is it wise for a couple to make "whoopie" on the railing of their balcony (a couple once fell off a ship doing just that).

Hank

Hank:

Aware of all that, there was a reason for my post