Princess Needs to Follow Holland America Bathrooms

mcrcruiser

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Assuming total cabin size does not increase, a larger shower will mean less space somewhere else in the cabin.

Which part of the cabin should be smaller so that the shower can be larger?

The bathtub.  Take the space wasted by the tub and expand the shower. 

10 hours ago, cheezenip said:

Agreed...sailed on  NS in January of this year and was thrilled with the bathrooms (and quality of the food). If HAL can provide this type of quality, so can Princess if they are motivated.

Princess ships generally carry more pax than HAL ships so I don't know about the increased cost in providing "quality" food (obviously they can't change the bathrooms on existing ships).  HAL's rates are generally higher than those on Princess.  We've done 31 cruises (347 days) on Princess and 8 (71 days) on HAL (most recent cruise was on the Zuiderdam).  Personally, I think the food is better on Princess than HAL (at least in the buffet), the cabins are roomier on HAL than on Princess, and the ambience is different (but not a major concern for us).

Edited by BarbinMich

On 8/31/2019 at 4:00 PM, mcrcruiser said:

The newer (2016 )  Holland America  Koningsdam  bathroom(balcony)  has   a decent sized walk in glass shower with a metal foot rest & a removable shower head (not stationary) .There is also a clothes line 

I would guess that at least 95% (or more) Princess cruisers would agree with the idea that glass shower doors would be an improvement!

18 hours ago, RJAM3 said:

princess does have cloths line in showers

12 hours ago, BettyCruiser said:

The showers on Royal and Regal are larger than older Princess ships and do have a ledge that works well for leg shaving and also works as a shelf, it does however still have a curtain.

Plus the Royal class ships have removable (hand held) shower head.  There is also a recent thread on the ability to request a hand held shower on older Princess ships:

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

All cruise lines need to get away from bath tubs. 

13 hours ago, pris993 said:

I have stopped sailing new HAL ships because no bath tub any more... I only book Princess mini... love a bath tub.

So I don't want Princess to follow HAL.

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Ain’t that the truth.

Nope, hope it never happens. The DW needs a bathtub for soaking purposes. The trend away from tubs is starting to restrict the cruise lines and room types that we can book. If this trend continues I can see the day when we will have to give up cruises as a vacation choice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Nope, hope it never happens. The DW needs a bathtub for soaking purposes. The trend away from tubs is starting to restrict the cruise lines and room types that we can book. If this trend continues I can see the day when we will have to give up cruises as a vacation choice. 

The last thing I worry about is the shower/bath when I book a cruise, it's just not important to me. 

But I can understand your DW's need and your requirement. Have you ever tried the enclave, would that help? 

2 hours ago, drowelf said:

I can understand your need for a tub.  Perhaps some cabins with tubs.  We have a few accessible cabins.  We could have a few cabins with tubs.  I suspect far more passengers would prefer a larger shower to a tub they never use. 

On 8/31/2019 at 3:04 PM, brisalta said:

Glass shower enclosures are a terrible safety hazard.

I know a surgeon who had a glass shower enclosure shatter on his hand.

Princess has clothes lines.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:04 PM, brisalta said:

Glass shower enclosures are a terrible safety hazard.

I know a surgeon who had a glass shower enclosure shatter on his hand.

Princess has clothes lines.

Seriously?  I get your comment but I wonder how many injuries there have been with glass enclosure showers on cruise ships, any and all cruise ships?  Personally I feel it’s more of a hazard climbing over the sides of a tub to shower.  This is only my opinion.

23 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

The cabin bathroom on the Nieuw Statendam was my favorite thing about the entire ship. Princess should consider bigger showers.

As stupid as it may sound, it was a joy taking a shower on the NS. Roomy w/ decent water pressure to boot without worrying about fluctuating water temperatures. A model for all cruise ships to follow going forward.

Edited by cheezenip

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I can understand your need for a tub.  Perhaps some cabins with tubs.  We have a few accessible cabins.  We could have a few cabins with tubs.  I suspect far more passengers would prefer a larger shower to a tub they never use. 

a tube gives the a larger shower... just like first class hotels... all over the world.

3 minutes ago, cheezenip said:

As stupid as it may sound it was a joy taking a shower on the NS. Roomy and decent water pressure to boot. A model for all cruise ships going forward.

you can get the same thing in a nice tub...

1 minute ago, pris993 said:

a tube gives the a larger shower... just like first class hotels... all over the world.

That's the problem.  Too many people consider having tub as being 'first class'.   A larger shower would only take half the room of a tub with even more space savings once  you consider the savings from removing the existing shower.   I consider a tub to be an unnecessary nuisance.   You have to step up and over into the tub which only increases the chances of slippage.   Seriously, how many actually use a tub?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That's the problem.  Too many people consider having tub as being 'first class'.   A larger shower would only take half the room of a tub with even more space savings once  you consider the savings from removing the existing shower.   I consider a tub to be an unnecessary nuisance.   You have to step up and over into the tub which only increases the chances of slippage.   Seriously, how many actually use a tub?  

well I would guess the only ones who may be t risk using a tub would be seniors, I am a senior at 72 and dh is 87 - we only have tubs with showers at home so we are quiet agile at using them and prefer a tub... we get a tub in a mini suite ... so we have lots of space and am very happy with Princess mini suites as they are, we book them for the tub, plus extra space... we have cruised Princess, HAL,  Cunard, Royal Cruise line, NCL and Celebrity.. our cruise line of choice is Princess mini suites for the layout tub.

I do not like the new celebrity or HAl ships with their up graded showers, did not like the new Royal class in Princess either for a variety of reasons.  Having a tub is first class in my book.  I never use a shower at home.  You may see a tub as unnecessary but most  women don't.   Keep tub with shower than everyone has what we want. 

2 minutes ago, pris993 said:

You may see a tub as unnecessary but most  women don't.   Keep tub with shower than everyone has what we want. 

Funny thing, my wife agrees that tubs are a waste of money and space.

And, no, keeping the tub doesn't mean everyone has what they want since keeping the tub means many have to give up the bigger shower and more space for other necessities.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Funny thing, my wife agrees that tubs are a waste of money and space.

And, no, keeping the tub doesn't mean everyone has what they want since keeping the tub means many have to give up the bigger shower and more space for other necessities.  

You are entitled to your opinion.  I will stop booking when they don't have tubs.   Have already done so on HAl's new ships. 

16 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

And, I've stopped booking Princess new ships because of their miniature balconies.

I agree with you, I will not book Royal class ships for this reason and others... poor decision on the part of Princess.    Don't like Celebrity either for the lack of a main deck, which is also lacking on the Royal class ships.    Hal's new ship does not have bath tubs and has a similar design over all, monkey see, monkey do.. since Carnival owns all the lines, they are all becoming too much a like and less distinctive which is too bad.   Just my opinion.  

Personally I m in agreement that  those high sided tubs are not only harder to get into for a shower ,they are more dangerous  for older people   because of balance  . The new  plexiglass shower design  on both the  new Holland America Pinnacle  class ships & the Soltice class Celebrity ships beat a tub /shower hands down for ease of entry  & less  space  .At 80 yrs I prefer those shower enclosures & hoping the industry goes that way for it's newly built ships 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kayelbee said:

What do you guys do in the shower that you need them to be bigger? 

I'm 6' and can easily wash, shave legs etc, hubby is 6' and by no means slim and has no problem. 

What do you need extra room for? 

both at the same time to conserve water ... maybe ? ... or not ...:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1