CCL High Tea

HillBilly Bob

If you know tea service it is not High Tea. It's Afternoon Tea and is listed in the Hungry For More section of the Fun Times on sea days only. Sometimes there is live music like string musicians. We wouldn't miss the cucumber sammies and scones with clotted cream.

DSC_0648_Zyde.jpg

tea-liberty-johns.jpg?w=584

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Barry ATL said:

Is this on all ships or just longer cruises?  We are on a 4 day 11/4 Victory cruise.  I last 4 day Carnival out of Jacksonville had the Afternoon Tea in the piano bar.

Last I heard it was served all ships on sea days. We had it served on 4 day cruises earlier this year on Inspiration.

Edited by sanmarcosman

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

If you know tea service it is not High Tea. It's Afternoon Tea and is listed in the Hungry For More section of the Fun Times on sea days only. Sometimes there is live music like string musicians. We wouldn't miss the cucumber sammies and scones with clotted cream.

DSC_0648_Zyde.jpg

tea-liberty-johns.jpg?w=584

You're right about it being just afternoon and not High tea.

There was a string trio on the Dream and Breeze, but nothing on the Vista in January. We sail her again in October, so we'll see if that's standard or a fluke.

Love the cucumber sammies and the salmon as well!

We always bring some preserves from breakfast to top the scones and clotted cream, since they never seem to have any.

Last time, they also had a gathering for veterans in the same area, which got a little loud and rowdy. Broke the atmosphere a little, but no biggie.

• Thanks 1

My family really enjoyed afternoon teac, the clotted cream especially, but boy it's a tough one if your dinner is at 6pm, something has to give, and it's usually your appetite for dinner. Haha just goes to show Carnival is giving us great activities and food, we just have to try to find a way to enjoy as many as we can. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

My family really enjoyed afternoon tea, the clotted cream especially, but boy it's a tough one if your dinner is at 6pm, something has to give, and it's usually your appetite for dinner. 

Exactly, which is why we enjoy the flexibility of Your Time Dining. It's good to have choices.

19 hours ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Does CCL Magic serve afternoon "high tea"?   Makes for a special afternoon treat for us.  

The special treat type tea is generally considered "low" tea, while "high tea" is a larger meal.  The names are based on the height of the table. 

Here is an article from The Spruce Eats with the difference:

What Is Afternoon Tea?

Afternoon tea, also known as 'low tea,' is what most people think of when they hear 'high tea.' It involves things like manners, lace, and dainty foods. It is typically served in the mid-afternoon and it was traditionally served on low tables, hence its two names.  An afternoon tea menu is light and focuses on scones, finger sandwiches. Marmalade, lemon curds, and herbed butter may also be included. Favorite teas for afternoon tea include black teas like Earl Grey and Assam as well as herbal teas like chamomile and mint.

Historically, afternoon tea was considered to be a ladies' social occasion, and it is more often enjoyed by women than men to this day.

What Is High Tea?

Traditionally, high tea was a working-class meal served on a high table at the end of the workday, shortly after 5 p.m. 

High tea was a heavy meal of:

• Meat dishes such as steak and kidney pie
  • Fish dishes such as pickled salmon
  • Baked goods such as crumpets or, in Ireland, barmbrack
  • Vegetables such as potatoes or onion cakes
  • Other heavy foods such as baked beans and cheesy casseroles

High tea was much more of a working-class family meal than it was an elite social gathering.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GradUT said:

If you like a specialty tea (i.e. anything other than black tea) you’ll be charged extra for it.  We bring our own teabags from home. 

I believe there is also green tea available.  They usually have a very good chocolate cake.

I don't know if it's "high tea" or "low tea" but it's casual and something nice to do on a sea day.

• Like 1