Safety on river boats?

Lunenburg

After that horrendous fire on the scuba diving boat, I started to think about picking a cabin on a regular river cruise.   I realize that the scuba boat probably had canisters of oxygen etc making a fire that much worse but for those who have cruised on several lines, do they do safety drills etc, like ocean cruises, how would a person on a lower deck fare in a fire?

Maybe a balcony cabin is worth the extra cost for more than just the view?

Yes the river boats do a safety drill before leaving its embarkation point.  There are many ways to get out, wide hallways plus emergency alarms all of which were lacking on the dive boat.  There was only one exit via a narrow ladder-like stairway through the galley, or so our news reported.  The bunks were all closely packed and only the 5 crew awake could escape.  What a tragedy.  

I’ve only been on one riverboat so others can put your mind at ease but what I saw was wide corridors, wider stairs, exits to outside on both sides of the lobby.

• Like 1

River cruises do safety drills on embarkation day.    I always try to be aware of multiple exits no matter where I am. Nowadays you never know what crazy thing might happen when out in public. The one thing that you don't want is to be anywhere in an emergency situation where you only know, and even worse, only have one way to go. For this reason, I prefer a balcony or at least a window that opens.  The more immediate you secondary choice of exit (directly to the outside) the better.   If you were on a lower deck, the question would be if you awoke and there was a fire in front of your door or something else going on onboard the ship that required you to exit, are you physically fit enough to break out the windows and could you easily and safely exit out the window or porthole which is up high?   Some of the cabins on lower decks have long windows that are maybe 18" to 24"  tall.  Others have portholes.  It makes sense to investigate the situation on your specific river ship before making a decision about your cabin, but you should be evaluating any location for any situation you are in from hotels to malls to restaurants, literally any place you are.     

• Like 2

It was a terrible tragedy with a large loss of life on the dive boat.

fortunately so far fire and deaths on river ships have been few.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12261148 this was on a Russian ship in August one death.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/07/articles/fires/nightmare-continues-for-daughters-of-couple-killed-during-amazon-river-cruise/ this was a ship on the amazon in 2017.

Like the others have said, there are safety drills.

Always check exit points when travelling. 

• Like 1

Fires are definitely the rarer incidents involving river cruise ships. I recall reading of one on the Danube last year or the year before last on a German ship. It is - when it happens - most likely something in the engine room. Harm to passengers is even rarer. As the embankment is so close and there are more than just the ports you dock at in an itinerary, in the case of an incident while sailing they sometimes reach a port to dock unscheduled, as so happened to a ship on the Rhine some years ago. No harm to passengers or crew in that incident.

I also had a safety drill and there was an assistant at the reception desk at night always available and doing regular rounds along the corridors we were assured.

If it makes you feel safer to have a "second exit" I recommend choosing the French balcony decks rather than the lowest deck.

notamermaid

• Like 1

There is a lot more traffic on rivers that on the open ocean, so help is not far away.

Along the rivers in Germany and Austria, even the smallest of village will have a volunteer fire service with at least one appliance, also there is the DLRG who respond to emergencies and rescue operations on inland waterways and lifeguards on beaches, also the river polce. Also the Water Watvh department from the German Red Cross.

Also, remember, there is nothing blocking you from getting out....that your cabin door is able to open and close.

I agree that the dive boat was absolutely horrific:classic_sad:  but my mind set does not change on how safe a river boat cruise

is (in my opinion)….the space is quite a bit larger as well.  But if you feel better changing cabins and that will bring you peace of mind? Then by all means, change cabins.

• Like 1

I was on the River Princess last year when we had a fire at 11 pm.  The crew reacted immediately.  Even though the corridors were filled with smoke, we could see our way to the lounge and our muster stations by the lighted strips along the floor.  All passengers and crew accounted for and no injuries.  The way the crew sprung into action showed they had been thoroughly trained to deal with just such as situation.

Roz

Heck - last year when on the Danube during low water, we saw land in the middle of the Danube. I think we could have easily walked to land in case there was a fire.

We had a fire on my first Carnival cruise (and only cruise with Carnival, though not because of the fire). I have to say I was impressed with the crew also.