Carnival Corp and Micky and Madeleine Arison foundation Donation

richwmn

That is terific

I heard Mr.Fain of RCI  interviewed on one of the news shows.  He said  they are so grateful all  their ships came out of  the storm undamaged that they filled several with emergency relief supplies , will  be bringing those ships o Bahamas and their chefs will be providing tens of  thousands of meals to people who need the  help so badly.  He said we have these  ships and  manpower  and we must help.  Admirable and most  appropriate  IMO

HAL ships go to Freeport for dry docks.  Loads of port calls to Nassau, New Providence (which    it seems came though in good shape)  HMC .  It warms me to see U.S. coast Guard  cutters/boats, helicopters, pilots and 'Coasties"'  (I say with full respect)doing      what  possible to help these injured, frightened people.

image.png.d2e69788a0f9deb0e7a07b2197cb85e0.png

It is wonderful to  learn how  these huge cruiselines are responding to  the massive need   that exists so  close to our shores.

Impossible to imagine Grand Bahama can recover without  huge long term   help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sail7seas said:

I heard Mr.Fain of RCI  interviewed on one of the news shows.  He said  they are so grateful all  their ships came out of  the storm undamaged that they filled several with emergency relief supplies , will  be bringing those ships o Bahamas and their chefs will be providing tens of  thousands of meals to people who need the  help so badly.  He said we have these  ships and  manpower  and we must help. 

Maybe this is an example of what I saw this afternoon.  Mariner of the Seas sailed from Port Canaveral around 3:30 P. M. on Thursday.  Only one person on deck did I see.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe this is an example of what I saw this afternoon.  Mariner of the Seas sailed from Port Canaveral around 3:30 P. M. on Thursday.  Only one person on deck did I see.  

Sounds likely  that is what you saw.....  Mariner of the seas heading    the short sail to Bahamas.  Of course,   I don't know but from what I heard in that interview,  it makes sense.

14 hours ago, avian777 said:

👍👍👍

Kudos to Carnival Corporation and the Arison Family Foundation for the generous pledge to the Bahama relief effort.

Absolutely,  Yes  !  

Edited by sail7seas

I imagine even positioning/staging supplies into the Bahamas, even when not an island in desperate need is helpful.  The Bahamian authorities and locals are presumably able to assist in distribution, but getting donated supplies from continental US over is a major cost in and of itself.

I'm glad to hear CCL (and the other lines) are making a concerted effort to get cash and supplies to the affected areas.

While I applaud the charitable arm of the Arison family and CCL's sending of cruise ships to help out, I can't help but wonder why one of HAL's ships was not employed to match Carnival, RCI and Celebrity's contributions.  Is there not one doing a Caribbean run this season?   Even doing one drop off of goods would help immensely.   A coordinated effort to be sure people were fed - one day Carnival ship #1, then HAL, then Carnival ship #2 ...  food and water when they have none (the water is not potable now).   

15 minutes ago, slidergirl said:
15 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I can't help but wonder why one of HAL's ships was not employed to match Carnival, RCI and Celebrity's contributions.  Is there not one doing a Caribbean run this season?

Wondering why you are wondering?  

No, there is not ONE HAL ship in the Caribbean at this time of the year.  There never is. HAL doesn’t do Caribbean in the late spring, summer and early Fall.

They don’t start sailing there until Alaska season is over - around the beginning of October.

18 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

While I applaud the charitable arm of the Arison family and CCL's sending of cruise ships to help out, I can't help but wonder why one of HAL's ships was not employed to match Carnival, RCI and Celebrity's contributions.  Is there not one doing a Caribbean run this season?   Even doing one drop off of goods would help immensely.   A coordinated effort to be sure people were fed - one day Carnival ship #1, then HAL, then Carnival ship #2 ...  food and water when they have none (the water is not potable now).   

There aren’t any HAL ships in the area at this time.

29 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wondering why you are wondering?  

No, there is not ONE HAL ship in the Caribbean at this time of the year.  There never is. HAL doesn’t do Caribbean in the late spring, summer and early Fall.

They don’t start sailing there until Alaska season is over - around the beginning of October.

I was just wondering.  No nefarious backstory.   I don't look for summer cruises, so I had no need to ever look to see where HAL is at during the summer.  

the people of The Bahamas are going to need assistance and delivery of necessary food and materials for months and months , so I was hoping HAL could show it's colors on a delivery as the others are doing.   But, they only go to HMC, so I guess they won't be doing it.  The others stop in Nassau or Freeport, so they are making that a "delivery" day for supplies and a "sea day" for guests.

Edited by slidergirl

50 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I was just wondering.  No nefarious backstory.   I don't look for summer cruises, so I had no need to ever look to see where HAL is at during the summer.  

the people of The Bahamas are going to need assistance and delivery of necessary food and materials for months and months , so I was hoping HAL could show it's colors on a delivery as the others are doing.   But, they only go to HMC, so I guess they won't be doing it.  The others stop in Nassau or Freeport, so they are making that a "delivery" day for supplies and a "sea day" for guests.

I suspect things may still be in the works.  I’ve found that HAL tends to help without making a big publicity announcement.  They’ve rebuilt schools on islands, helped with island needing supplies, repaired docks, etc.  So, who knows what they have planned?

However, we could well ask the same questions of NCL, Cunard, Seabourn, Crystal, Princess, Viking, Oceania, Silversea, Windstar, etc., etc., etc.

Why on earth would anyone care what a Carnival Corp ships are being used.  No doubt they used the closest and the ones that made sense.  Carnival, Princess, Costa, HAL.....does it matter what logo is on the funnel as long as the ships get there.  This is about Carnival Corp.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, iancal said:

Why on earth would anyone care what a Carnival Corp ships are being used.  No doubt they used the closest and the ones that made sense.  Carnival, Princess, Costa, HAL.....does it matter what logo is on the funnel as long as the ships get there.  This is about Carnival Corp.

Spot on, iancal!  👍👍👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kazu said:

I suspect things may still be in the works.  I’ve found that HAL tends to help without making a big publicity announcement.  They’ve rebuilt schools on islands, helped with island needing supplies, repaired docks, etc.  So, who knows what they have planned?

However, we could well ask the same questions of NCL, Cunard, Seabourn, Crystal, Princess, Viking, Oceania, Silversea, Windstar, etc., etc., etc.

Just an FYI that Carnival Corp's brands include Carnival, Cunard, HAL, Princess, Seabourn, P&O, Costa, and a few more.

Royal Caribbean Corp includes Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Azamara, Silversea, and significant ownership in several other lines.

Norwegian Cruise Lines Holdings covers Norwegian, Oceania, and Regent

Jeez.  I was just asking about HAL.  My friends in Cocoa Beach were all abuzz about Carnival and RCI taking supplies down to The Bahamas from Florida.  Since HAL does do a presence in the Caribbean, I was just curious about what, if anything, they would do.  Since Arison Foundation donated some money and Carnival was sending ships, I was curious about HAL.  This IS the HAL site, right?  If I wondered about Seabourn, etc, I would have asked on their sites.

Some people...

HAL is part of Carnival as most of us know.  

In any case, here’s the latest update on cruise ships helping:

“Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has committed to providing 20,000 meals a day to residents of Freeport Bahamas, through daily visits from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises ships. Additionally, the line is sending multiple container ships with more relief supplies,  has committed $1 million in disaster relief to the Bahamas. 

Carnival Cruise Line is sending two ships loaded with food, water and relief supplies to the Bahamas. Carnival Corporation and the Arison Foundation have also pledged $2 million for Bahamas relief.

Norwegian Cruise Holdings, including Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises, and Regent Cruises has committed $1 million to the non-profit relief organization All Hearts & Hands. Norwegian Breakaway also sailed from Miami to Nassau with a load of food, water and generators.

Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line completed a Hurricane Dorian humanitarian cruise Saturday on the Grand Celebration. The ship brought more than 300 first responders including fire rescue, medical personnel and humanitarian organizations. The ship delivered 850 boxed lunches and 225,000 pounds of supplies.“