Have you ever slept on your stateroom balcony?

jmadams

16 minutes ago, Coral said:

If they ask you not to, why would you do so?

I didn't say WE left the balcony door open.

I said no one can STOP you but on the RCCL site our resident chief engineer Chengkp75 explained why it shouldn't be done.

Edited by grapau27

For anyone that thinks leaving the balcony door open is a good idea, check out this recent thread: 

Look for the explanations by chengkp75 and Heidi13, posters with management experience on cruise ships of why that shouldn't be done.  Of course there are also some posters who basically say they paid for the cruise, they can do whatever they want!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I didn't say WE left the balcony door open.

I said no one can STOP you but on the RCCL site our resident chief engineer explained why it shouldn't be done.

I guess I question why even bother mentioning it when it is not an approved practice and can negatively affect other cabins. There are several actions that should not be done on a cruise ship and people are asked not to, though one could do.

Edited by Coral

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

I guess I question why even bother mentioning it when it is not an approved practice and can negatively affect other cabins. There are several actions that should not be done on a cruise ship and people are asked not to, though one could do.

After 51 cruises I have seen most happen but  personally we abide by ships rules.

I thought the ops question of sleeping on the balcony was weird but we often sit on the balcony when it's late but never thought anyone would spend the night there.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

Exactly.

After 51 cruises I have seen most happen but  personally we abide by ships rules.

I thought the ops question of sleeping on the balcony was weird but we often sit on the balcony when it's late but never thought anyone would spend the night there.

Yea - I have also sat out there late at night. I think many do. I am not even opposed to those sleeping out there (I would never) but bringing a mattress out there I am opposed to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One solution is that the ships continually clean out the air conditioning and vents on the ship that carry viruses so easily  if neglected. They always mention they do????? Don't think they have time and man power to do this.

Edited by kruisey

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Yea - I have also sat out there late at night. I think many do. I am not even opposed to those sleeping out there (I would never) but bringing a mattress out there I am opposed to. 

I agree it is unhygienic and dangerous as some idiot might be smoking on the balcony and throw the cigarette butt overboard and if it lands on the mattress the chance's of a fire are high which unfortunately happened on a Princess ship sadly.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, Coral said:

If they put the sofa bed back together before the room steward sees them, they will not find out. But I completely agree - you can easily be charged for it.

If anyone on the bridge sees the mattress on the balcony, you will probably be rousted.

After the Star fire they are pretty strict about leaving anything on the balcony overnight -- swimsuits, towels, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

For anyone that thinks leaving the balcony door open is a good idea, check out this recent thread: 

Look for the explanations by chengkp75 and Heidi13, posters with management experience on cruise ships of why that shouldn't be done.  Of course there are also some posters who basically say they paid for the cruise, they can do whatever they want!

On the other hands, some ships have a switch which disables the cabin air handler if the balcony door is opened.

If Princess viewed this as an important issue, they could configure their ships this way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

On the other hands, some ships have a switch which disables the cabin air handler if the balcony door is opened.

If Princess viewed this as an important issue, they could configure their ships this way.

Since there always trying to save pennies you would have though they would have taken this into consideration when designing the ship. 

12 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Please remember that you are on a cruise ship with hundreds of your fellow passengers. Actions you may choose for your comfort may very well make others uncomfortable.

Remember to turn your balcony lights off as well! Leaving the balcony lights on prevents others having a clear view of the sky at night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RocHed11 said:

What exactly do you hang them on?  Sounds interesting.

T

There are tons of you tube videos showing how to do this. my husband usually hangs them so I am not exactly sure which method he uses.  It is relaxing and so comfy!  

We have never been asked to remove them and we take them down when they say they will be washing the balconies or if the weather is really bad.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:35 PM, Outerdog said:

Anyway, used the robes for blankets and a towel and our hoodies for a pillow with the lounger propped up a bit. It was really nice. Until the window washing rig showed up above us on the bridge windows sometime around 2 or 3 AM, I'm guessing. Lovely surprise.

Often when I go out on the balcony first thing in the morning, it is quite salty; and others have had issues with soot.

The window washing would be a benefit, so I don't wake up salty or sooty...

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, brisalta said:

Just turn the air conditioning on full blast and you will get plenty of white noise plus feel like you are cruising through a fjord.

Really?  Our AC has never worked that well.  I always bring a fan!

I can sure tell you after waking up on the Star Princess in our midship suite on Caribe deck with a massive fire blazing on the living room & bedroom balcony and large embers going everywhere, I won't even leave my balcony  door open at night. I was sleeping on the side of the bed that was directly next to the balcony, I probably wouldn't be here had I left it open. 

Princess asks you not to leave anything flammable outside at night on the balconies and it's with good reason.  Bringing your sofa or mattress out there not only can destroy the furniture with the sea elements but it is a fire hazard.  

• Like 8