Maybe live some days from Journey 5 September

uktog

I have hesitated to call this thread a “live from”  because I know I am not good at coming back on posting details about every single day however I will try and keep track as we go along of all things that might be of interest to others

We embarked in Lisbon and it was a very straightforward embarkation at Santa Apolonia.   We had been slightly concerned about our trip over to Lisbon because British Airways where threatening strike action but in the end nothing more than non-functioning toilets on our flight bothered us .   We stayed at our brand new holiday in express at Saldanha which turned out to be an excellent spot anyone who is happy to use the Metro can get their direct and it’s only a three minute walk to the hotel We used a prearranged car (Suntransfers) and we also used Uber to the port without any problems. The hotel recommended an excellent fish restaurant Maria Peixeira just around the corner of them - hotel recommendations  an let you down but this also brand-new was first class. 

So far everything on Journey has been extremely positive as usual we are being far too well fed and watered. The only immediate change we notice is that the shop stocks very few small ticket items but you instead buy them from your butler/attendant- this menu was on our bed when we arrived.  Just to clarify in case anybody is worried when reading the list shower gel is provided in the room so there is no need to buy it .

To answer a question asked on another thread I can confirm that in relation to the laundry photos my husband and I are both LCV members and we are in a suite on a nine night cruise we were given one laundry voucher that is all that is authorised to be issued

Prior to cruising I had queried whether one of the land discoveries was feasible because it was set up for the last day before disembarkation and it involved a meal to be prepared subsequently by the executive chef    I was assured that this was not an issue and so went ahead and booked it and of course surprise surprise due to operational reasons it is cancelled.   Trouble is I made arrangements elsewhere for excursions I could’ve bought possibly through the ship and now have non-refundable on-board credit I could have better used 

We went on quite a pleasant land discoveries trip yesterday that we did note that our boss had 34 guests on it and indeed that seemed to be the norm on all the trips I am not sure why this was our port but they had to exceed the promised 25 at  we went on quite a pleasant land discovery strip yesterday that we did note that our bus had 34 guests on it and indeed that seemed to be the norm on all the trips and one tour in particular suffered as many guests were less mobile as well.  I am not sure why  they had to exceed the promised 25 at  this port. 

Today we have in joyed staff Captain Darios driving as he reversed the ship past the swing bridge in Seville and we are now docked downtown.  The temperature is 95 Fahrenheit so we opted to be cautious and just enjoy a short walk in the adjacent Place d Espanya and park having been here before and done the main activities in town. Tonight we will go into town after dinner one of the delights of being so close in that Azamara gives. 

The ship is being very careful to remind everyone to drink lots of water and they have wisely moved quite tonight to later in the close in Palma and to delay the departure of that night so that we can be in port. 

8EC71106-46B3-42E9-8CB9-956ABF37A34D.jpeg

F5E56DE2-7C71-4808-801B-3E66BAA1F1AA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The card is in all rooms and yes it’s a room delivery. The print is small but some are starred as being available 24 hours. 

Here are Seville pictures we are 20 mins walk from the historic centre but Place Espanya pictured here is five minutes 

B343E6B6-64A6-464F-998C-21D09C060424.jpeg

9087F164-BA93-4A98-941C-7EF89615DE9A.jpeg

E0732940-F0E3-41D2-940C-561AF4E6A971.jpeg

0231DD17-FB72-4000-8560-9FAF9F8BD51C.jpeg

• Like 5

I also like the idea of being able to buy ‘sundries’ through this card system.

Much easier than trying to find small items in a crowded space, as well as having some potentially unexpectedly necessary being available 24 hours a day.

• Like 4

Today we enjoyed a Land Discoveries trip to Jerez and sherry tasting. Trip had a false start when we had to return to the port to pick up guests who arrived late - grr - making the walking tour more like a walking gallop as we had a scheduled time at the cellar. However the time at the Tio Pepe cellars was very enjoyable even though the group was large (29)

Back on ship we watched the skill of the bridge team squeeze us through the narrow bridge before an unexpected change to the weather. This may be a Perry Golf cruise but golf ball sized hail .....

Talking of golf the golf group onboard is 50 guests but honestly you wouldn’t know they were onboard. Felt sorry for the group they had their dinner outside by the Patio  tonight and the hail arrived after their starters which meant a serious deck flood. They got them moved so fast an example of Azamara flexibility 

2055AFCC-500D-43EE-8B8E-AC33CE76FBF5.jpeg

BFD3D53F-FBAD-4FEC-80ED-856B45F917D7.jpeg

7032F534-71B4-46B6-B497-85212B5C80E1.jpeg

43158C3B-F1FC-4243-8774-40BF22E7AB20.jpeg

9154A9C3-F53A-4C2C-93F3-5936692C4A04.jpeg

• Like 4

So for those wanting shuttle information Gibralter has a strong taxi union so no shuttles. The taxis run minibus shuttles to town. It’s GB£4 or 6 euros per person return. The same people are offering very good 3 hour minibus tours to the top of the rock, the caves and other sites for £20 per person so much better value than the ships tours. In Gib everything has to be by minibus given the roads. 

Our sail in was at sunrise we walked in for some shopping (I have a weakness for the clothes in Jade fashions so nice differuand cheaper than UK). Now resting up before Azamazing evening but the front spa deck remains a disaster from loud talking women gossiping in the spa pool. Peaceful it is not!  

This is mornings sail in and tomorrow is National Day in Gib 

095F5CA2-8E69-42D9-A4BC-BC8173A3EF0B.jpeg

DB268C08-7FE9-49B8-8975-DF854E286E1B.jpeg

• Like 2

The front spa deck has always been one of my favorite places on the ship. All you hear is the sound of the ocean.  Perhaps the gossipy women will run out of other people to talk about and peace will return.  

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 4:16 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks for the post and the photos. Seville is beautiful, isn’t it.

I really like the idea of being able to buy ‘sundries’ through this card system. I wonder if it’s on all 3 ships, or if they’re trying it out on a Journey first.

This new card system is on Quest as well. The gift shop appears cleaner, more upscale, with the sundries removed. 

• Like 2

The card order system will be extremely popular on cruises like our next leg where it seems the shops will only be open the first evening as all our other departures are at 2200 or later and there are no sea days or later arrivals. 

So Azamazing Evenings we made a massive flawed assumption and so a warning to others. Just because you have already done an evening in a port don’t assume next time it will be the same. It could be better or it could be worse. 

Gibraltar has always been our favourite Azamazing evening fabulous setting and a 

military band whose music was diverse and perfect for the setting. So with great anticipation and based on the marketing online the images of which were of the evening we remembered we set off. We encouraged first timers who had reservations about going on a mass outing to go, it would be memorable. 

It was memorable for all the wrong reasons. It was awful. The band was now the seriously over amplified Marbella Soul Band, screeching females out of tune playing the same music as the onboard trio only not even a fraction of the trios quality. Previously I’d got great photos forward into the cave with the band however this time they were spoilt by a new officer clowning around in white jeans on the upper stage adding by his way of it entertainment. He has a lot to learn 

Anyway I’ve go lovely ceiling pics and the moral of the story is never assume anything about an Azamazing evening based on your own or others previous experiences. It’s not the fault of the poor folks onboard but whoever set this one up has ruined what was previously a great memory and completely misjudged what is appropriate for Azamara guests. 

Ok move on it’s a lovely sea day today perfect temperatures 

For those of you familiar with onboard staff we found this crazy Scotsman on the pier. He had an Art Director buddy similarly clad but I failed to snap the two of them 

5AA2D603-1B6C-4879-A670-0C24CB6CC097.jpeg

6DFC6FC2-9383-4D01-A44C-C57AEB5BCF25.jpeg

637F6410-1716-40C9-8AC0-E6BA31C18034.jpeg

CE36AC62-4563-4FF3-80C5-C6D1447D7783.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, uktog said:

The card order system will be extremely popular on cruises like our next leg where it seems the shops will only be open the first evening as all our other departures are at 2200 or later and there are no sea days or later arrivals....

You slipped that in quietly, or maybe I haven't paid close enough attention to previous posts! Checked out the itinerary, and it looks fab. Checked pricing, and there are a couple of insides left around £1200 on the UK site I often use.....USA prices equate to £2100 for the same cabins!!

That's excellent pricing for a cruise in very popular September in the Med...sadly the only direct return flights that would work for us are pushing £500 each. 😞

Do continue to enjoy, as we wrap up with tropical temperatures around mid-teens.

• Thanks 1

YPeople ask about disembarkation information 

Here is a summary of the arrangements in Barcelona we arrive on 13th with the cruise finishing on 14th

1.  Coach transfers - all on 14th only 

$31.50 each to the airport provided your flight leaves after 10.00. They won’t accept bookings without proof of your flight number and it’s timings

$24.50 pp to Estacio Saints Train station

$15pp to Placa Catalunya

2.  Shorex 

Barcelona City Tour with airport drop off $69pp flight must depart after 1600

Montserratt liquor tasting with airport drop off $79pp flight must depart after 1500

3.  Express walk off available from arrival on 13th to 0715 on 14th. This option is not available to anyone requiring assistance 

4.  Late departure to 1430 is available for $35pp you can keep your stateroom to 0830 only

All others can leave as they wish between 0715 and 0900 on 14th but must vacate their rooms by 0800 (just keep the noise down for us lucky b2b guests). 

Todays views in Palma though unfortunately it’s getting very grey for White Night 

Update they won’t upload this sites been pesky on uploading this trip will try again later

Edited by uktog

Second attempt 

We discovered this smaller but equally pretty Church just further into town than the cathedral. What was so lovely was the organ was playing so we sat and had some calm listening time. In Palma the best sights  (and tapas bars) are in the narrow little streets behind the Cathedral 

F1064CFD-ED7D-4D0B-844D-0E221939DBC7.jpeg

282B4E0D-4986-4E07-A5DD-8B6B9EF280CC.jpeg

• Like 3

Well the weather gods have been kind tonight and we enjoyed White Night however tomorrow we cannot go to Valencia which is a big disappointment for many. 

Azamara has shown its skill in rescheduling and we are going to Mahon instead.  Unlikely they can set up any Land Discoveries there so like many we will have lost OBC in our case we were treating ourselves to an expensive excursion there and in Barcelona and they’ve already cancelled the Barcelona one 😞 

Will be interesting to see how they handle that one 

Hope something works out for you!

Mahon is a frequent port of call, so hopefully they may be able to arrange some of the regularly scheduled excursions for that port. Perhaps the Concierge may be able to help you spend your OBC in Mahon if Shorex don't come up with anything. Good luck!

Edited by Baynanno1