Airline recommendations to Vancouvet

cmerun

Alaska Airlines or American.  Either works.

And, unless it's changed, use the washroom before landing!  Last time I was flew into Vancouver, there were no washrooms between the time you get off the plane until after you've gone through customs.  Something my wife discovered!  And it's not a short walk....  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cmerun said:

We will be cruising from Vancouver

traveling  from San Antonio Texas-

Any suggestions for airlines

We have not flown to Vancouver before

Thanks

For a comprehensive list of flights, airlines and prices go to http://matrix.itasoftware.com .  You cannot buy a ticket at this site, but it is free and very helpful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cmerun said:

Thanks

There are no non-stops flights from San Antonio, so pick whichever flight offers you the best combination of flight times and fares. There really will not be much difference among the competing airlines in economy class. I have frequent flyer status/allegiance, so that would influence my choice, but it would not be relevant for you.

If you are returning home from Vancouver, note that you will pre-clear US immigration and customs at Vancouver airport, so you flights home will be considered "domestic". 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SFCAcruiser said:

If you are returning home from Vancouver, note that you will pre-clear US immigration and customs at Vancouver airport, so you flights home will be considered "domestic". 

Which really means....give yourself plenty of time when booking your return flights, since you will need to go through USA immigration and customs at YVR BEFORE your flight home.   Which adds time.  Also, depending on your cruise, remember that you are joining several thousand of your newest friends in also cramming into the immigration process before their flights.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cmerun said:

Thanks

Delta, American, United, Air Canada, West Jet, Alaska.   Not sure if Jet Blue flies into YVR or not, but I don't think Southwest does.  As someone else said, if you're flying coach most airlines are more similar than different, so look for the best schedule, price, or frequent flyer benefits....whatever is most important to you.

@cmerun your post doesn't say when you are flying, but we're flying from Austin to Vancouver in June 2020.  We will be flying Alaska Air. They've got nonstops from Austin to Seattle, but no nonstops to Vancouver.  We'll be looking at where the plane change takes place, the time between flights, etc. 

We flew Alaska Air in June 2011 to Seattle for a cruise and found it to be a good value. We only fly about every five years and don't have frequent flyer miles and all that stuff to deal with, so I'll choose Alaska or Southwest over American, Delta, etc.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 5:19 AM, K.T.B. said:

Alaska Airlines or American.  Either works.

And, unless it's changed, use the washroom before landing!  Last time I was flew into Vancouver, there were no washrooms between the time you get off the plane until after you've gone through customs.  Something my wife discovered!  And it's not a short walk....  

Actually there is.  Before you go down the escalator to Immigration turn left and you will see the washroom. 

On 9/9/2019 at 4:58 AM, cmerun said:

Thanks

It is usually cheaper to fly from the US to Seattle than Vancouver.  A lot of people do this.  I am not certain there is a big savings once you factor in you have to pay for a long bus or train ride.  

Air Canada and United are partners.  You will see both both each other codes on each others flights.  Air Canada is the dominant airline in Canada.

WestJet and Delta are partner.  Same deal.

American and Alaska are partners.  Again same deal.

WestJet is the only Canadian airline that flies into Austin from Western Canada.  However it is from their Calgary hub.  It is actually not a bad airport to make a connection.   All the major US airlines would connect through their respective hubs in the midwest or Pacific Northwest. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, em-sk said:

It is usually cheaper to fly from the US to Seattle than Vancouver.   I am not certain there is a big savings once you factor in you have to pay for a long bus or train ride.  

Worth exploring.  Last I knew, the Super Shuttle was $40. each way with possible long delays at the border for customs.

For our trip, LEX>ATL>YVR, it worked out way better....low cost fare bucket, no shuttle, on time flights.  We bought our tickets in Jan-Feb (Delta).

One minor problem, the FA told us there was a charge for IFE because it wasn't an international flight (ATL>YVR).  We just stared at her...quizically....while she thought it all thru....finally it was "Oh whatever".

2 hours ago, thinfool said:

Worth exploring.  Last I knew, the Super Shuttle was $40. each way with possible long delays at the border for customs.

The company that runs the bus between SEA and Vancouver is Quick Shuttle.  Their website is:

https://www.quickcoach.com/

The website quickshuttle.com may just be a redirect.

2 hours ago, thinfool said:

One minor problem, the FA told us there was a charge for IFE because it wasn't an international flight (ATL>YVR).  We just stared at her...quizically....while she thought it all thru....finally it was "Oh whatever".

In many ways, flights between the USA and Canada (as well as into the Caribbean) are considered "domestic" within the airline industry.  Obviously not in terms of immigration and customs, but for operational and fare rule considerations.  This often shows up in terms of FF benefits, baggage and similar items.

YMMV, so always check rather than assume.

Notice for east coast flyers heading to Vancouver.

One of the best ways to fly to YVR has been the Cathay Pacific flight between JFK to YVR.  However, Cathay has announced that the flight will be ending in the spring of 2020, likely sometime in April.

The flight was a remnant from the days when aircraft did not have the range to fly from New York to Hong Kong non-stop.  So CX took advantage of a fifth-freedom right and was able to fly passengers between Canada and the USA as part of their HKG-JFK one-stop service.

Sad to see it go, but the availability of aircraft to fly longer distances eliminated the need for such a routing.

While it lasts, that Cathay Pacific flight remains the best single use of American or Alaska frequent flyer miles there is, provided you pop for business or first class.  By an order of magnitude, it's the best premium-cabin flight in North America.  

17 hours ago, maryann2 said:

Actually there is.  Before you go down the escalator to Immigration turn left and you will see the washroom. 

And, if one can't find a restroom, let one of the Vancouver airport staff members know.  I found the staff incredibly helpful and accommodating.  

22 hours ago, thinfool said:

That was odd for the FA to say considering Delta has free domestic IFE both for 'bring your own device' and for seatback IFE systems when installed. I'm guessing what she meant to say was that the airline-provided ear bud headphones weren't free in the main cabin for that route.