Best line for music and food?

Luigi007

I love classical music and jazz, and gourmet food and wine. I just had my first cruise with the Norwegian Cruise Line (Norwegian Bliss). I found the live music with a few ups but many downs: no classical or jazz whatsoever, mostly country and pop which I don't particularly care for, and with mostly mediocre musicians (with some exceptions). I found the food very irregular, from sublime to plain, and a couple of times, almost disgusting. Don't read me wrong; overall I did like the Norwegian Bliss; it has many other strong points which I detailed in a review I've just submitted. But disregarding the many positives for the sake of this question, and just considering these two interests of mine (music and gourmet food), this line wasn't great. When I plan my next cruise, these aspects will be instrumental for my choice.

So, my question is, what are the best cruise lines for lovers of classical music, jazz, and gourmet food and wine?

Thanks for your input. 

• Like 1

Crystal cruises often has classical performers onboard, as well as having jazz and big band themed cruises.   In addition, their food is some of the best at sea if you want gourmet quality levels.  Regent also has some quality food.  I've found that Oceania hypes their food as the best at sea, but I tend to disagree.

One personal comment - throughout the "mass market" cruiselines, you won't be finding gourmet quality food except in some extra charge specialty restaurants.  And even then, they are just a step above what you get from the main dining room.  But they can posture it as "gourmet" and the vast bulk of their customers will be happy.

And yes...this will cause some flaming.  My opinion.  But you get what you pay for, both on land and sea.

• Like 1

You’d think jazz would be more likened to the premium and luxury lines but in truth, the best jazz I’ve heard on any cruise was in a club called Jazz On 4. They’re on RCI Oasis Class ships.  The specialty restaurants are quite good as well. 

The best free dining I’ve had was on Viking Ocean. 

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

RCI is the only cruise line in recent memory that offers classical music as entertainment.

Princess does (usually a duo or a trio).  Ships also have a 7 person band/orchestra that plays for Princess Theater shows and sometimes (depending upon the music director and the cruise director I would think) does independent shows with all or some of the musicians.  This is in addition to the party band, pianist in one of the bars, solo musicians, etc.

46 minutes ago, Luigi007 said:

I love classical music and jazz, and gourmet food and wine. I just had my first cruise with the Norwegian Cruise Line (Norwegian Bliss). I found the live music with a few ups but many downs: no classical or jazz whatsoever, mostly country and pop which I don't particularly care for, and with mostly mediocre musicians (with some exceptions). I found the food very irregular, from sublime to plain, and a couple of times, almost disgusting. Don't read me wrong; overall I did like the Norwegian Bliss; it has many other strong points which I detailed in a review I've just submitted. But disregarding the many positives for the sake of this question, and just considering these two interests of mine (music and gourmet food), this line wasn't great. When I plan my next cruise, these aspects will be instrumental for my choice.

So, my question is, what are the best cruise lines for lovers of classical music, jazz, and gourmet food and wine?

Thanks for your input. 

If you love classical music I suggest reading books by the late Jeffrey Dane.

Combine jazz and gourmet food on Crystal by booking a Jazzdagen cruise. Or compromise on food, keep the jazz and go on Holland America. A typical Crystal cruise will have one or two classical musicians. In October on a cruise we're looking at, the entertainment lineup includes Gary Arbuthnot (trained by James Galway) and classical pianist Rogerio Tutti. Both are on youtube. When Gary plays Bolero onboard, the screen behind him and the orchestra shows Torvill and Dean skating their famous routine. Magical.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

RCI is the only cruise line in recent memory that offers classical music as entertainment.

Tell that to the classical string quartet that plays often throughout the day in varying locations on every Oceania ship. In addition, the evening shows often feature classical soloists (or the occasional jazz or local folk artists. The small show band is extremely versatile and does forays into jazz now and then.

As for OP's food quest: Oceania is all about food (from a la minute cooking and al fresco dining in the casual Terrace Café to the special evenings in LaReserve, which are inspired/curated by Jacques Pepin and Wine Spectator Magazine).

Unlike mass market lines, all Oceania dining venues have the same high quality ingredients/preparation with the difference for specialty restaurants (no extra charge) being more focused menus in an intimate setting.

BTW OP: Oceania has no problem with you bringing your own wine onboard for in-cabin consumption or at dinner ($25 corkage). We're currently working through a case we recently carted aboard Riviera. 

Wow, very interesting answers, thank you! I forgot to mention that I particularly like opera, so the suggestion about MSC is to be considered. 

The food at Norwegian Bliss: I went to 5 of the specialty restaurants, for an extra charge, and found three of them to be very good, but the other two (paradoxically, their most praised venues) rather mediocre. One of the three large complimentary ones was good, while the other two weren't. The complimentary buffet, I didn't like at all. About the masses liking these so-called gourmet experiences that aren't, I share the views of one of the posters here: I asked for the opinion of other guests and most people were delighted with the food at the Norwegian Bliss and found it all good in all venues, while my opinion and my wife's were definitely very mixed.

I just got in the mail a brochure about Viking river cruises and some of them include opera and ballet, in Vienna and St. Petersburg, and one of their sea ships boasts the fact that they have Metropolitan Opera performers. They seem to focus on gourmet food, too. They also have wine-themed itineraries; the problem is that most of their wine destinations, I've visited already by land.

Edited by Luigi007
Just added another paragraph.

We cruise Oceania  but I do not find it particularly  heavy on the music 

yes they have the String quartet  that play a few times a day   & the entertainment  solos  are not like they used to be with more classical  performers

As I said   look for  a Chartered cruise that  has  12+ hrs a day of musical performers  ..well worth  it

Smooth Jazz or Opera  if you like that  Classical music   many  venues  & different  types of  Music cruises out there

7 hours ago, Luigi007 said:

I just got in the mail a brochure about Viking river cruises and some of them include opera and ballet, in Vienna and St. Petersburg, and one of their sea ships boasts the fact that they have Metropolitan Opera performers. They seem to focus on gourmet food, too. They also have wine-themed itineraries; the problem is that most of their wine destinations, I've visited already by land.

In addition to Viking River, you now have Viking Ocean. They have superior dining options over mainstream lines and have a resident classical trio. I would check out Viking or Oceania.

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We cruise Oceania  but I do not find it particularly  heavy on the music 

yes they have the String quartet  that play a few times a day   & the entertainment  solos  are not like they used to be with more classical  performers

As I said   look for  a Chartered cruise that  has  12+ hrs a day of musical performers  ..well worth  it

Smooth Jazz or Opera  if you like that  Classical music   many  venues  & different  types of  Music cruises out there

I hear you, but where do I find the chartered music-themed cruises? I did a search on this site with the word Opera and mostly got results talking about The Phantom of the Opera (which is not an opera) and about the Opera browser; a few with a small mention of some sort of small focus on operatic singing. I didn't see truly Opera-themed cruises. I guess I'd have to go to a magazine like Opera News, which I used to subscribe to in the past but no longer do. I remember some ads there for opera cruises.

24 minutes ago, Luigi007 said:

I hear you, but where do I find the chartered music-themed cruises? I did a search on this site with the word Opera and mostly got results talking about The Phantom of the Opera (which is not an opera) and about the Opera browser; a few with a small mention of some sort of small focus on operatic singing. I didn't see truly Opera-themed cruises. I guess I'd have to go to a magazine like Opera News, which I used to subscribe to in the past but no longer do. I remember some ads there for opera cruises.

try google   for theme cruises  

"Holland America Line, in partnership with Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, presents a ground-breaking musical experience on its luxury ships - Lincoln Center Stage. Musicians will perform nightly concerts with a variety of traditional chamber music and specially commissioned works while traveling the world.

Program points:
• 5 member ensemble (2 violins, viola, cello, piano)
• 4 month continuous contracts at sea - various start dates throughout the year beginning February 2020
• Itineraries in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Baltic, Iceland, Hawaii, Australia, Asia, Antarctica and in 2020 - World Voyages
• Rehearsals in New York City
• age requirement 21+
• competitive salary plus all travel, lodging, meals on board & complimentary guest to sail with you
• repertoire: a mix of standard chamber music and crossover repertoire"

We did a HAL cruise where a Lincoln Center group did concerts.  They were excellent and attendance was good.  You just have to be certain that their performance venue is not close to where the BB King group performs.  Don't get me wrong.  I like the music that the BB King groups play but they should issue hearing protection as they tend to be a bit (actually a whole lot) too loud.  In the ship that we sailed on, there was separation and you could enjoy the classical music.

DON

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

"Holland America Line, in partnership with Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, presents a ground-breaking musical experience on its luxury ships - Lincoln Center Stage. Musicians will perform nightly concerts with a variety of traditional chamber music and specially commissioned works while traveling the world.

Program points:
• 5 member ensemble (2 violins, viola, cello, piano)
• 4 month continuous contracts at sea - various start dates throughout the year beginning February 2020
• Itineraries in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Baltic, Iceland, Hawaii, Australia, Asia, Antarctica and in 2020 - World Voyages
• Rehearsals in New York City
• age requirement 21+
• competitive salary plus all travel, lodging, meals on board & complimentary guest to sail with you
• repertoire: a mix of standard chamber music and crossover repertoire"

We did a HAL cruise where a Lincoln Center group did concerts.  They were excellent and attendance was good.  You just have to be certain that their performance venue is not close to where the BB King group performs.  Don't get me wrong.  I like the music that the BB King groups play but they should issue hearing protection as they tend to be a bit (actually a whole lot) too loud.  In the ship that we sailed on, there was separation and you could enjoy the classical music.

DON

In response to myself - http://lincolncenter.org/holland-america-line?_ga=2.239570179.1026395527.1564153445-170647798.1564153445

DON

4 hours ago, Luigi007 said:

I hear you, but where do I find the chartered music-themed cruises? I did a search on this site with the word Opera and mostly got results talking about The Phantom of the Opera (which is not an opera) and about the Opera browser; a few with a small mention of some sort of small focus on operatic singing.

I see Silversea  has an Opera  cruise  check their website

On 9/11/2019 at 12:11 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Tell that to the classical string quartet that plays often throughout the day in varying locations on every Oceania ship. In addition, the evening shows often feature classical soloists (or the occasional jazz or local folk artists. The small show band is extremely versatile and does forays into jazz now and then.

As for OP's food quest: Oceania is all about food (from a la minute cooking and al fresco dining in the casual Terrace Café to the special evenings in LaReserve, which are inspired/curated by Jacques Pepin and Wine Spectator Magazine).

Unlike mass market lines, all Oceania dining venues have the same high quality ingredients/preparation with the difference for specialty restaurants (no extra charge) being more focused menus in an intimate setting.

BTW OP: Oceania has no problem with you bringing your own wine onboard for in-cabin consumption or at dinner ($25 corkage). We're currently working through a case we recently carted aboard Riviera. 

I have never been on an Oceania cruise.I should have qualified my response to only cruise lines I have been on.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

......Unlike mass market lines, all Oceania dining venues have the same high quality ingredients/preparation with the difference for specialty restaurants (no extra charge) being more focused menus in an intimate setting.......

Unlike mass market lines, Oceania charges two to three times as much for similar itineraries. And no, the prices are not comparable as you often claim. Unlike you, I sail on a variety of cruise lines so I have compared cruises on a variety of cruise lines in the past, including the luxury lines, and Oceania has always been much more expensive, even considering the cost of similar amenities between the lines. 

Since they charge so much more, they better have higher quality ingredients. Otherwise, they are ripping off their customers. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not lately.

I guess they do offer it lately, since I just met someone who was in a HAL cruise with the same dates and itineraries of our Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Bliss (I actually saw their ship several times) and she said they had Lincoln Center jazz musicians and chamber music ensembles were performing during their cruise.