Canceling one of 4 people before final payment -drawback?

mattR

We have booked a refundable fare for my family of 4.  Final payment is coming up in the next week.  My son may not be able to join us if we cancel him before final payment is there any potential drawback such as them moving us to another room?  Any other potential drawbacks? We are traveling with other family that are all staying in the same area?

3 hours ago, mattR said:

We have booked a refundable fare for my family of 4.  Final payment is coming up in the next week.  My son may not be able to join us if we cancel him before final payment is there any potential drawback such as them moving us to another room?  Any other potential drawbacks? We are traveling with other family that are all staying in the same area?

Currently there are no drawbacks.

Coming  very soon depending on the ship there will be.  On Oasis class ships and possibly other classes there will be cabins that only hold 3.  Once the new categories are rolled out you would then be moved from a quad to a triple. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Coming  very soon depending on the ship there will be.  On Oasis class ships and possibly other classes there will be cabins that only hold 3.  Once the new categories are rolled out you would then be moved from a quad to a triple. 

Not accurate.

Under the conditions outlined, there will not be a ‘forced’ change of cabin.

5 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

Not accurate.

Under the conditions outlined, there will not be a ‘forced’ change of cabin.

You seem to have missed how I started my post with “coming soon” and yes it is coming soon.

you also failed to quote my first sentence where I said currently no drawbacks.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You seem to have missed how I started my post with “coming soon” and yes it is coming soon.

you also failed to quote my first sentence where I said currently no drawbacks.

Did not miss this, but you gave the clear impression that this is how it’s going to be regardless of the booking conditions, when cabins for 3 come into play. 

The OP is not affected, and others later in a similar situation would be not either - that is my point.

Just now, snowglobe said:

Did not miss this, but you gave the clear impression that this is how it’s going to be regardless of the booking conditions, when cabins for 3 come into play. 

The OP is not affected, and others later in a similar situation would be not either - that is my point.

I was simply letting the OP and others know that once the new cabin categories come into play in the not so distant future then yes if you cancel a fourth guest you will be moved to a triple.  This will be starting on the Oasis.

had nothing to do with the current practices and I was clear on that.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Currently there are no drawbacks.

Really? You just don't (can't) know such a thing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Really? You just don't (can't) know such a thing

I’ve heard it independently from 2 different people at Royal.  The recategorization of cabins Is not a secret, there were a few threads on here where people were mysteriously moved into a guarantee and then weeks later moved back.  It’s all related.  

They are simply extending what what they do now with quads that go to a double prior to final.  Everything is of course dependant on ship occupancy levels but if they think they can sell that extra space they will move you.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’ve heard it independently from 2 different people at Royal.  The recategorization of cabins Is not a secret, there were a few threads on here where people were mysteriously moved into a guarantee and then weeks later moved back.  It’s all related.  

They are simply extending what what they do now with quads that go to a double prior to final.  Everything is of course dependant on ship occupancy levels but if they think they can sell that extra space they will move you.

Oh, you heard it, LOL

13 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Oh, you heard it, LOL

Of course I said I heard  it.  What do you expect a printed policy manual leaked from Royal.

You can choose to believe me or not (and it’s obvious you don’t and I really don’t care) but it’s not unheard of  that many of the changes that happen get leaked here on CC before they are announced.  This is no different.  

55 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They are simply extending what what they do now with quads that go to a double prior to final.

This.

Going from a 4 occupancy to a 2 may force a move - this has been the odd case before.

Going from a 4 to a 3 is a different circumstance, with different conditions (bed config being one factor.)

What you are saying is an erroneous extrapolation and pure conjecture on your part.

Your assertion is just plain wrong and would cause undue worry.

5 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

This.

Going from a 4 occupancy to a 2 may force a move - this has been the odd case before.

Going from a 4 to a 3 is a different circumstance, with different conditions (bed config being one factor.)

What you are saying is an erroneous extrapolation and pure conjecture on your part.

Your assertion is just plain wrong and would cause undue worry.

Like I said. It's coming.  I've heard it from 2 independent sources in corporate. 

You can choose to believe me or not I really don't care. 

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Like I said. It's coming.  I've heard it from 2 independent sources in corporate. 

You can choose to believe me or not I really don't care. 

I don’t dispute that you have heard advance info about the re-categorization of cabins.

However, either the person you spoke with or yourself misunderstood its implementation - *especially* in the 4 to 3 occupancy scenario that we are discussing here. Bed config in these cabins being only one of the conditions that would make these moves difficult to enforce.

9 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

I don’t dispute that you have heard advance info about the re-categorization of cabins.

However, either the person you spoke with or yourself misunderstood its implementation - *especially* in the 4 to 3 occupancy scenario that we are discussing here. Bed config in these cabins being only one of the conditions that would make these moves difficult to enforce.

There is a  new bedding configuration coming that'll only allow 3 guests.  The sofa (not sofabed,) is being used for the third guest. 

You actually can lose the cabin. On a Voyager class ship, we dropped down from four people in a cabin to three. Being a summer cruise, a four passenger cabin was at a premium. Royal said the remaining three was be moved into a guarentee. This was a few years so I don't know if the policy has changed. But it did have a happy ending. Two days prior to sailing we were placed in a JS.

• Like 1

Not sure if I am helping here but I'll share my experience.  We are booked on Oasis , May 2020.  I had a room booked for 3.  My son asked if he could bring a friend along.  I had to book them in a different room and Was "forced " to switch my ocean view balcony to an ocean view balcony for 2. I tried putting 3 in my husbands balcony rom but his was for only 2 people.  Only option was to change my room and book them in another room.  I was told that I could not keep the original balcony that I had booked for 3 people because it was for 3 not 2. 

16 minutes ago, mattR said:

So are there cabins for just three on the Explorer of the Seas?  or is it only 2 or 4? We are cruising over New Years so the ship should be full. 

There are some staterooms with only one Pullman bed.

4 minutes ago, mattR said:

Would they tell you that you require a stateroom change when you call to cancel the 4th and then at that time you could say no let's not cancel the 4th? 

I don't know, but whatever they tell you, make sure you get it in writing.  People who call Royal routinely get inaccurate information.

• Like 1