Luminae on Equinox

grandgeezer

Back to Luminae as suggested.  We have dined frequently in Luminae on many Celebrity ships.  And recently Coastal Kitchen on RCCL Harmony.  Both are quite a step above the MDR and quite good.  But we would definitely choose Luminae over CK.  Overall better service in Luminae and excellent food.  But CK does offer a more extensive menu.  On some nights it is a challenge to get a reservation or seating at a reasonable time in CK.  We have never had this issue in Luminae.

11 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I guess we should return this thread to the topic of Luminae on Equinox.   FYI anyone sailing between now and Nov and want a great waiter in Luminae then request Nino.  20+ years on Celebrity/Chandris.  Best waiter we have had on Celebrity.  Have had the pleasure of his service on 3 trips.

Nino was awesome!  Actually, everybody in Luminae was awesome.  It was a wonderful experience.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Nino was awesome!  Actually, everybody in Luminae was awesome.  It was a wonderful experience.

Hopefully you mentioned us to him.  We saw him the week before you boarded and dined at his table one night when we were invited to join Charles and Susan who maybe you met as they were on both of your trips as well.

We had great service in MDR as well.  Turns out our waiter Mark had been mentored by Nino.

Edited by wrk2cruise

On 9/13/2019 at 7:11 AM, wrk2cruise said:

I guess we should return this thread to the topic of Luminae on Equinox.   FYI anyone sailing between now and Nov and want a great waiter in Luminae then request Nino.  20+ years on Celebrity/Chandris.  Best waiter we have had on Celebrity.  Have had the pleasure of his service on 3 trips.

Does he pronounce his name "neeno? or Nino (spanish pronunciation)?

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

"Neeno", he is from the Philippines

He is the absolute best waiter we have had in more than 40 cruises!  I always pronounced his name as "Neeno", but I started to wonder if that was correct after our cruise.

Edited by Hypo

On 9/12/2019 at 9:21 AM, cangelmd said:

Funny you should say that, what I think they need to add is salad and veggies. The only things i ordered off the MDR was the onion soup once and a Bibb lettuce salad. I think both BLU and Luminae could use more choices of "side" salads - salads without meats and not named Caesar - and side veggies - 2-3 veggies available every night like green beans, squash and onions, steamed broccoli, even a simple veggie soup. My guess is if you asked for a simple salad or broccoli in Luminae they would try to find it for you, but not BLU.

Just for the record, you can ask for a simple salad or different vegetable like broccoli in Blu.  We sailed in AQ 8 times last year and 7 times this year and did that a number of times.  Not trying to be argumentative, but just letting everyone know that you can do that.

6 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Just for the record, you can ask for a simple salad or different vegetable like broccoli in Blu.  We sailed in AQ 8 times last year and 7 times this year and did that a number of times.  Not trying to be argumentative, but just letting everyone know that you can do that.

Not argumentative, great to know! On my first Equinox cruise we did Chefs Table which includes a detailed galley tour with a lot info about behind the scenes, after that I was very respectful about what to ask for in Blu, lol, I learned how far that Bibb lettuce has to travel!

I bet after someone asks the first time they have it ready, or would be happy to do that if you asked.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, cangelmd said:

GG - did you realize that you can order a filet basically anytime you want one in Luminae?

We had our first experience in a suite on Equinox a couple of weeks before your sailing. We made some new friends and shared dinners several evenings - they had been in suites several times before. One evening they ordered a filet, and I don't think it was on the MDR menu that night, they just asked for it.

Now that might not be the steak you wanted, and I didn't try their filet, but that was my experience.

We were in Luminae onboard Eclipse earlier this year and the hostess specifically told me I could not order off menu - no filet mignon allowed !!! Years ago onboard Equinox they were happy to provide it. Maybe it varies from ship to ship?

On 9/12/2019 at 8:53 AM, TeeRick said:

They do this on Edge.  A set of every night choices in addition to that night's menu.  But you cannot order from the MDR menu on Edge.  We have found that if you want anything not on the menu in Luminae on most ships, they will gladly accommodate you if you give them some advance notice.  

What are the every night options onboard Edge? On Eclipse they told me NO when I asked for Filet Mignon. In my mind, considering the suite cost they should offer an every night Filet Mignon option.

37 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

What are the every night options onboard Edge? On Eclipse they told me NO when I asked for Filet Mignon. In my mind, considering the suite cost they should offer an every night Filet Mignon option.

There is a petite filet mignon on the children’s menu. I’ve heard many times that you can order one of those to accompany a full entree or order 2 if you don’t see anything else to your liking. Supposedly the children’s menu is the same in the MDR, Blu and Luminae. Wonder why they refused to serve it this time? Seems very poor service to refuse a suite passenger something a 5 year old can order any time!

Yes we order the children's filet mignon (or two) frequently in the MDR.

Not sure if it was available on the Eclipse but was not offered in Luminae.

Considering the suite cost they should have an everyday full size filet mignon on the Luminae menu !!!

Luminae is promoted as superior to the specialty restaurants !!!

On 9/12/2019 at 11:39 AM, mick70 said:

That seems funny my 25 Jan cruise on the Equinox in a Sky suite is 2450 PP total with all 4 perks.

Ours is in Feb and slightly less with all 4 perks.  We booked through an airline and the deal they offered was better than any I'd found at X.  We will also accrue 35,000 airline points.  I feel like it is the best deal going.  I typically book directly with X but ran upon this deal and grabbed it.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:57 PM, TommyD3 said:

Yes we order the children's filet mignon (or two) frequently in the MDR.

Not sure if it was available on the Eclipse but was not offered in Luminae.

Considering the suite cost they should have an everyday full size filet mignon on the Luminae menu !!!

Luminae is promoted as superior to the specialty restaurants !!!

Service and food is better than specialty in general. Never had a issue there . You can book a royal or penthouse suite then you have either luminae or specialty included in price. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

Service and food is better than specialty in general. Never had a issue there . You can book a royal or penthouse suite then you have either luminae or specialty included in price. 

Royal suite is $500 pp per day, Penthouse twice that !!!

Specialty is $50 max (except on Edge) - 1/10 the price !!!

I personally refuse to pay even $300 pp/pd for a Sky Suite.

Just booked Concierge on Equinox in Nov for $100 pp/pd.

Zenith get $25% off specialty bringing it to $35 pp average.

Why spend 2X+ for Sky Suite Luminae?