onboard ship credit

vicsd1

There is a difference between non refundable and refundable OBC.  If your TA gives it to you, pls ask them what type they provided.   If it was OLife,  it’s non refundable, and if it is loyalty it is non refundable.   It makes a difference.  For refundable, you can ask for it back on the last day of your cruise, non refundable is use it or lose it.  

Edited by Cruseforme

It would be a struggle for us to spend $800 on board and that would not be enjoyable. We drink very little alcohol. Our TA pays gratuities. To me, the spa treatments are overpriced and I don't enjoy feeling ripped off. The shops are too high end for my comfort. We prefer small group private tours to the ship excursions 

The Christmas present comparison is specious. It's more like exchanging a gift card from a store that has nothing you want for cash to spend somewhere else. 

• Like 3

Since travel agencies are technically obliged to not discount a cruise fare, cruise line allow refundable credits to be issued by a TA to make a fare more attractive. If given the choice, would you take an $800 credit or take reduced price of the $800. The answer is obvious and the cruise companies know it. That is why they do not allow it. The refundable credit is like money in their pocket. After all, appears to be free money to spend while cruising. Unless you use it for expenses that you would pay anyway, such as gratuities, it is easy to overlook that its really just another prepaid item as food, room and entertainment. Now a non-fundable credit is a totally different issue.

Just enjoy!! Spend your OBC any way you 

want! We did a SA cruise on HAL and we had $1000.00 OBC due to the fact we booked this cruise while on another HAL cruise and it was a perk with gratuities paid, free internet, and a beverage package. We did spa stuff, my DH bought his cigars, packages for specialty dinners, 

champagne good stuff 😊

Have fun! We sure did than.

Smooth Sailings 

Denise😊

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Andee said:

It would be a struggle for us to spend $800 on board and that would not be enjoyable. We drink very little alcohol. Our TA pays gratuities. To me, the spa treatments are overpriced and I don't enjoy feeling ripped off. The shops are too high end for my comfort. We prefer small group private tours to the ship excursions 

The Christmas present comparison is specious. It's more like exchanging a gift card from a store that has nothing you want for cash to spend somewhere else. 

May I suggest a class in the culinary center or a special evening in LaReserve. We are not oenophiles like some on this board.  However, we surely enjoyed the experience and made some new friends that we still enjoy traveling with. 

The spa treatments may be overpriced but wouldn't this help you with the "struggle" to spend your $800 in shipboard credit?

-Katie

• Like 1

DH is on a very restrictive cardiac diet, so LaReserve isn't an appropriate option for us.  I'm on vacation--no cooking for me.  Overpaying for something isn't at all enjoyable for me, so the spa wouldn't be a good choice.

We have a very easy solution: we opt out of OLife to have a cheaper cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andee said:

It would be a struggle for us to spend $800 on board and that would not be enjoyable.

Where does the OBC come from?

If O Life  then just do not take the O Life perk

If your TA then tell them you would rather not have it  I am sure  they could save it for someone who wants it

JMO

I would also not want to spend refundable credit on overpriced spa treatments or unneeded items from the shops just for the sake of using it.  If we find something we want at price we're willing to pay, great, but if not, we prefer getting the credit returned where we can spend on something more valuable to us.  For example, on our last cruise the amount of refundable OBC we had at the end of the cruise covered the expense of our pet sitter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hiccups said:

I would also not want to spend refundable credit on overpriced spa treatments or unneeded items from the shops just for the sake of using it.  If we find something we want at price we're willing to pay, great, but if not, we prefer getting the credit returned where we can spend on something more valuable to us.  For example, on our last cruise the amount of refundable OBC we had at the end of the cruise covered the expense of our pet sitter.

How practical-

Of course, by not taking the cruise at all you could save a few thousand more-

And if you put off buying that winter coat for another year.....

14 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

How practical-

Of course, by not taking the cruise at all you could save a few thousand more-

And if you put off buying that winter coat for another year.....

What difference does it make to you if someone chooses not to spend refundable OBC?  The snark is not necessary.  Spend away and let others do as they wish.

4 hours ago, Andee said:

To me, the spa treatments are overpriced and I don't enjoy feeling ripped off. 

They ARE overpriced, but if you're spending NON-refundable obc then they're free...so why not get some?

I got the Gold loyalty level spa credit perk on my past 4 cruises...should I have just let it go to waste because the spa treatments are expensive? They were free for me...might as well use the credits. Same thing as using non-refundable obc. JMHO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe you can also apply any unused non-refundable OBC to the crew fund but you need to specify that's where it goes.  That's what we do. (I do sometimes worry the front desk simply says, "yes, we'll give it to the crew fund" and then doesn't, but we were informed that is an option.)

I agree with Go-Bucks (but not on the athletic field - Go Blue).  Spa treatments have been pleasant and helpful for me.  I tried acupuncture on an O cruise and it really helped my aching feet from shore excursions.  A good deep tissue massage is magic for me too.  What I don't like in the spa is the hard sell on lotions, creams, etc.  But, in my eighth decade, it's about time I learn to say "no."

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Old Vic said:

I believe you can also apply any unused non-refundable OBC to the crew fund but you need to specify that's where it goes.  That's what we do. (I do sometimes worry the front desk simply says, "yes, we'll give it to the crew fund" and then doesn't, but we were informed that is an option.)

I would  say it is probably easier for them to say YES  than explain why it cannot be done

We have been told  NO  for non refundable OBC  to be used for the crew fund

Just saying

20 minutes ago, Sny said:

I agree with Go-Bucks (but not on the athletic field - Go Blue).  Spa treatments have been pleasant and helpful for me.  I tried acupuncture on an O cruise and it really helped my aching feet from shore excursions.  A good deep tissue massage is magic for me too.  What I don't like in the spa is the hard sell on lotions, creams, etc.  But, in my eighth decade, it's about time I learn to say "no."

I did not find  them a hard sell  they made suggestions  on products

I said no thank you

If they are bringing Steiner back  then you need to be prepared for the hard sell 😲

• Like 1