TRANSPORTATION ROME/CIVITAVECCHIA PORT

Gitana

Do you mind if I ask the name of the hotel Glendakayself. Notice you said it had a hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Did you enjoy the hotel? Good location?

Thanks for answer. Always good to know a good place to stay. We have never started or ended a cruise in Rome, just port days.

I am interested in those who have experienced departures from FCO. I am reading horror stories on-line about long delays getting through the airport. We are arriving on the Edge next May into Civitavecchia.  I want to book a private transfer (probably RomeCabs).  How much travel time from port to airport (FCO)?  How far ahead of flight time should I plan to arrive at FCO (flight is at Noon)?

After DELTA changed our  post cruise flight time to something impossible, we  had them change our flight ( gratis )  to the next day.  Not much choice!

We booked Rome Cabs or Limo  for direct port pick up , and went to a nice Marriot hotel in Fuminico. Glad we did!. Booked the Marriot via hotels . Com ( pre paid USD).  Had a leisurely drive to the hotel..great lunch  and dinner...explored the very authentic town.   Next day we took a cab to the airport.

Less stress and hassle than going to the airport on the  cruise return day  but the airport experience was still  slow and disorganized,  if you have extra time and  money for the hotel, may be a good alt.

We used the same limo company pre cruise and stayed at a hotel  2 nights in Cv . We explored, met roll call friends for dinner at our hotel, and  had a great cruise critic dinner with about 20 others at a local restaurant. We loved the Hotel San Giorgio but lately read posts saying they sometimes do  not honor res very well!

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I am interested in those who have experienced departures from FCO. I am reading horror stories on-line about long delays getting through the airport. We are arriving on the Edge next May into Civitavecchia.  I want to book a private transfer (probably RomeCabs).  How much travel time from port to airport (FCO)?  How far ahead of flight time should I plan to arrive at FCO (flight is at Noon)?

Personally, I would allow one hour from port to airport plus another three hours to get thru security and to the gate. Total 4 hours after exiting the ship. The Italian airport personnel and security staff can be slow and not at all helpful.  A lot depends on the flight load for the particular day that you will be traveling.  This airport can be OK or it can become a madhouse. TIP:  Be sure to have your boarding passes printed before arriving at this airport.  

Ship is supposed to dock at 5 AM.  What is earliest time to be able to self disembark? AND does the Edge  have a printer available so that we can print our boarding passes?

thanks.

You should be at able to print your boarding pass in the computer center 24 hours before your flight.

8 hours ago, hcat said:

After DELTA changed our  post cruise flight time to something impossible, we  had them change our flight ( gratis )  to the next day.  Not much choice!

For us, not only did Delta change our flight time from 12:25pm to 11:15am, but MSC changed our arrival time in Civitavecchia from 7:00am to 8:00am. So we went from having 5:25 to make our flight to having 3:15 to get off the ship, collect our luggage, drive to the airport, check in, and get through all the customs and pre departure formalities. 

Still, I chose to leave my flight reservation the way it was. Delta only offers one daily nonstop flight to my hometown airport from Rome. I will admit that I was on edge for the last 24 hours of the cruise, until I found myself sitting at the gate a few minutes before boarding started, but it all worked out! Line at the multiple checkpoints at the airport were indeed long, and we saw several other passengers loose their cool in line when they realized that they would be missing their flights home. 

Next time, I will plan a post cruise stay if there aren’t more flexible flight options .

Glad it worked out. Seems DELTA changes flight times often.  We were lucky they had  seats for  the next day and agreed  no change fee should apply.

Very stressful..one  glitch can mess things up .

Edited by hcat

17 hours ago, jc foster said:

TIP:  Be sure to have your boarding passes printed before arriving at this airport.  

Why?  Most cruise pax will be checking a larger bag, so you'll need to check in with an agent anyway.  They can print your boarding passes for you.

52 minutes ago, hcat said:

Glad it worked out. Seems DELTA changes flight times often.  We were lucky they had  seats for  the next day and agreed  no change fee should apply.

That's actually pretty standard (no change fee) when the change is made by the airline and the change is around an hour or more.

43 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Why?  Most cruise pax will be checking a larger bag, so you'll need to check in with an agent anyway.  They can print your boarding passes for you.

Make sure you at least go on line and "check in."  We were booked on a flight from HNL to EWR and decided since I had luggage to check and no way of printing boarding passes, I'll just "check in" 2 hours ahead of time, when I checked our  luggage.  That was a bad, bad, bad idea.  Since I didn't check in, the airline ended up rebooking me on different flights (to the same destination), and I lost all my pre-arranged seating as well as pre-paid Economy Plus upgrades as they were full on the other flights they assigned for me.  🍷

19 hours ago, jc foster said:

Personally, I would allow one hour from port to airport plus another three hours to get thru security and to the gate. Total 4 hours after exiting the ship. The Italian airport personnel and security staff can be slow and not at all helpful.  A lot depends on the flight load for the particular day that you will be traveling.  This airport can be OK or it can become a madhouse. TIP:  Be sure to have your boarding passes printed before arriving at this airport.  

Regarding your TIP, Is it difficult to print boarding passes at the airport kiosks?  Don’t they recognize the electronic boarding pass on your phone?  Just wondering why the warning for this airport. 

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

Make sure you at least go on line and "check in."  We were booked on a flight from HNL to EWR and decided since I had luggage to check and no way of printing boarding passes, I'll just "check in" 2 hours ahead of time, when I checked our  luggage.  That was a bad, bad, bad idea.  Since I didn't check in, the airline ended up rebooking me on different flights (to the same destination), and I lost all my pre-arranged seating as well as pre-paid Economy Plus upgrades as they were full on the other flights they assigned for me.  🍷

Right, but my question was in response to you saying to be sure to have boarding passes printed before arriving at the airport.  While checking in online might save a little time for someone not checking bags, the likelihood of someone not checking any bags for a European vacation is slim.   If you're checking bags, there is no need to check in ahead of time, save for someone on a domestic Southwest flight who needs to check in to get a better boarding group, but that's not at issue for a transatlantic flight.

As for your experience losing your seat, what airline were you flying that required check-in prior more than 2 hours prior to flight time?  While the recommendation is often to arrive (and check in) 2 hours prior for domestic and 3 hours prior for international, much of that recommendation is to allow time for security etc; the actual cut off is often as little as 30-45 min (for domestic) before you are considered a no show.  What airline and what route were you flying when your 2 hour check in caused you to be considered a no-show and lose your seats?

Regarding your TIP, Is it difficult to print boarding passes at the airport kiosks?  Don’t they recognize the electronic boarding pass on your phone?  Just wondering why the warning for this airport. 

I am sure they would recognize the electronic boarding pass on your phone.  I am old and old school and have never used a boarding pass on an I phone . The last time we were at FCO was in November 2015. There had been a fire and the place was an absolute mad house with security attempting to route passengers around the damaged area. I hope you have better luck.