Dress Blues & Elegant Night

Melissa623

Hey everyone, my son, who is 24, and I will be sailing on the Conquest December 14th and he is trying to figure out what to wear for the two Elegant Night dinners. One of NCO's told him he should just wear his Army Dress Blues since he doesn't own a suit other than that one and not to waste the money to buy one. At 6'8 there really isn't such a thing as a cheap suit lol. However, he's worried he will strange or stick out if he wears it. For those of you have cruised a bit or are/were in the Army, or any branch of the military, what are your thoughts on him wearing his Dress Blues? Have you ever really noticed anyone in their military dress uniform? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. 

I have seen it done on a cruise.  Not sure if it was Carnival or not.  It fits right in if you're wanting to be on the more formal side of the evening (which many do, so there's nothing wrong with it). He will, probably, be the only one in uniform, as it isn't common.  But I wouldn't let that bother me.  He'll probably also get a lot of positive comments for wearing it.  As someone else said already, a lot of people will not be quite as formal (and some downright casual).  So wear whatever he wants.  Go for it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melissa623 said:

Hey everyone, my son, who is 24, and I will be sailing on the Conquest December 14th and he is trying to figure out what to wear for the two Elegant Night dinners. One of NCO's told him he should just wear his Army Dress Blues since he doesn't own a suit other than that one and not to waste the money to buy one. At 6'8 there really isn't such a thing as a cheap suit lol. However, he's worried he will strange or stick out if he wears it. For those of you have cruised a bit or are/were in the Army, or any branch of the military, what are your thoughts on him wearing his Dress Blues? Have you ever really noticed anyone in their military dress uniform? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. 

Military dress uniforms are quite suitable for Cruise Elegant. They are just that. Thanks for your service.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Make sure he brings some hand sanitizer as he will probably get a few people coming up to shake his hand and thank him for his service. Will probably also get some beverages bought as well.

This is what I am thinking as well. If I were still in I would wear my dress uniform in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Melissa623 said:

Hey everyone, my son, who is 24, and I will be sailing on the Conquest December 14th and he is trying to figure out what to ...........Have you ever really noticed anyone in their military dress uniform? Thank you in advance for your thoughts. 

I have been on several cruises where military members wore their dress uniforms.  I think it looks great!!  Your story about your son reminds me of my own situation in 1973.  Had just returned from my tour in Southeast Asia and had just started my assignment as a Squadron Tech Instructor, at Sheppard AFB.  Had only been at the base about 2 weeks and my wife hadn't gone to work yet and I was making in the $450 or so a month range and my squadron commander had a practice of taking his new TI's to his country club and wanted those TI's to wear a regular suit.  I didn't have one and didn't have money to buy one, so I did what any young Buck Sergeant would do, I lied.  Told him my wife was sick and we couldn't go.  Would gladly have gone had I been allowed to wear my Dress Blues.  So let him know to Be Proud and wear his Dress Uniform.

• Like 2

I have been on many cruises where military dress uniforms were worn on dress up night.  There is nothing neater to see then military dress.  I met eight US Airforce cadet on one cruise.  Talked to them for over an hour about my military jet engine job and bought them all drinks.  Be prepared to shake a lot of hands and drink free drinks.

By all means ware your uniform with pride. 

• Like 3

Personally I wouldn’t wear it. I retired after spending 20 plus years in the military (USAF) and I would have never considered wearing dress blues on a cruise. However, I like to maintain a low profile and would not wear something that would definitely bring attention my way. But this is just the way I feel. I don’t see anything wrong if he wants to wear his dress blues on elegant nights. 

On a different but related subject, make sure you attend the Military Appreciation Gathering. In my biased opinion, it is the best event Carnival hosts. We do different things every cruise, but this is the one event my wife and I never miss on every cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Melissa623 said:

I say he wears it, I have seen plenty of others wear their Military uniform.  He should be proud and not care what anyone thinks.  Tell him Thank you for his service from me! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he doesn't want to wear it, then let him know that he certainly doesn't have to buy a suit. A button-up dress shirt, tie, and khakis or slacks is perfectly acceptable. Jackets aren't required. Elegant nights are much less formal these days. Actually, you'll see people wearing clothes even less formal than that on Elegant nights.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

If he doesn't want to wear it, then let him know that he certainly doesn't have to buy a suit. A button-up dress shirt, tie, and khakis or slacks is perfectly acceptable. Jackets aren't required. Elegant nights are much less formal these days. Actually, you'll see people wearing clothes even less formal than that on Elegant nights.

Funny you should have mentioned that. On our Elegant night I wore khaki slacks, oxford cloth light blue button up shirt with button down collars, tie and my tassel loafers. And I felt slightly overdressed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Melissa623 said:

28 years of service and I've never worn my dress uniform for anything like that. He can wear Khaki's and a dress shirt/tie for elegant night if he wants.

• Like 4