Thomas Cook

Kendo44

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

The CAA are really only bound to rescue holiday makers stranded abroad.  Future bookings with TC are of no concern to them.

Suddenly P&O,  plus various other holiday  companies, will have to find a way of flying thousands of pax to their cruises and holidays.  Not going to be easy, as there is not sufficient spare capacity in  the flight industry at present. 

It always surprises me that ATOL/ABTA don't just keep the failed airline running while they repatriate holidaymakers, it can't cost more than hiring "spare" capacity from others, and they already have a schedule and  airport slots booked?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, snaefell said:

Even if they survive the immediate future it is surely going to be a challenge going forward,how many people are going to be willing to risk their plans for future travel by using a TA that they know is potentially in trouble.

In my local shopping centre this morning TC had 2 staff and 1 customer in their store. Across the isle TUI was busy with at least 6 staff visible and customers queueing.

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

In my local shopping centre this morning TC had 2 staff and 1 customer in their store. Across the isle TUI was busy with at least 6 staff visible and customers queueing.

Sadly they don't really stand a chance. We have always booked with what was COOP Travel and they were taken over by Thomas Cook. I remember being worried then and that was years ago. Feel very sad today for the staff we know well who will be on the front line today. I bet they are answering questions rather than selling holidays. It must be a nightmare for them.

20 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sadly they don't really stand a chance. We have always booked with what was COOP Travel and they were taken over by Thomas Cook. I remember being worried then and that was years ago. Feel very sad today for the staff we know well who will be on the front line today. I bet they are answering questions rather than selling holidays. It must be a nightmare for them.

We always did exactly the same as you and always got a Co-op yearly dividend.

Our local TC was open this morning but I didn't call in.

TC have closed several branches already and working with very few staff in the ones still open as staff have moved to other TAs.

My OH worked for them until the end of July when he decided to "jump ship" pardon the pun. He got very disillusioned with the company and after many year of service decided to make the break. We are still in touch with ex colleagues and it is a very stressful time form them. Chin up girls there is life out there!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

The CAA are really only bound to rescue holiday makers stranded abroad.  Future bookings with TC are of no concern to them.

Suddenly P&O,  plus various other holiday  companies, will have to find a way of flying thousands of pax to their cruises and holidays.  Not going to be easy, as there is not sufficient spare capacity in  the flight industry at present. 

Yes, but let's not forget Oceana is still fly-cruising for the next couple of weeks.

I guess the main problem with aircraft shortage at the moment is short-haul though due to the 737 problems.  P&O will presumably be looking for larger capacity long range aircraft?

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It always surprises me that ATOL/ABTA don't just keep the failed airline running while they repatriate holidaymakers, it can't cost more than hiring "spare" capacity from others, and they already have a schedule and  airport slots booked?

It would be sensible but I think the problem is that once a company goes into administration or bankruptcy, all their assets are seized/frozen.

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

P&O will presumably be looking for larger capacity long range aircraft?

As will many other holiday companies that use TC to provide the flight part of their holidays. There are not that many LH aircraft sitting around that can be used to fill the gap, should TC go under, not to mention finding sufficient crew.

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As will many other holiday companies that use TC to provide the flight part of their holidays. There are not that many LH aircraft sitting around that can be used to fill the gap, should TC go under, not to mention finding sufficient crew.

This must be a real concern for P&O with the Caribbean season starting shortly. They seem to share the flights mainly between TC A330 Airbuses and TUI 787 Dreamliners, and the Dreamliners are having some delays with the ongoing Rolls Royce Trent engine problems.

1 minute ago, jake 26 said:

TUI 787 Dreamliners, and the Dreamliners are having some delays with the ongoing Rolls Royce Trent engine problems.

TUI 787s ( I refuse to use the rubbish Dreamliner tag) do not have Trent engines.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

TUI 787s ( I refuse to use the rubbish Dreamliner tag) do not have Trent engines.

Additionally P&O could come under pressure to secure TUI (GE powered) 787's  in the longer term with the possible expansion of TUI's own cruise business.  

3 minutes ago, chrisg1uk said:

Additionally P&O could come under pressure to secure TUI (GE powered) 787's  in the longer term with the possible expansion of TUI's own cruise business.  

True, although iirc Marella is not wholly owned by TUI, so I would imagine the airline arm of TUI will be happy to continue to work with P&O   if it makes commercial sense to do so.

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

TUI must be struggling to fulfil there own company holiday obligations due to 737 problems as for many years we have always flown to Austria in January using TUI planes from Birmingham and Manchester but this winter they are using Jet2.com.

Tui have removed most flights from Scotland over the winter, we used to have Austria as well and things like Madeira, all gone. This summer the Lake Garda flights went as well, replaced with some company I have never heard of before.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

True, although iirc Marella is not wholly owned by TUI, so I would imagine the airline arm of TUI will be happy to continue to work with P&O   if it makes commercial sense to do so.

With 12? Dreamliners TUI Airways have enough trouble servicing their long haul cruise market. I doubt they have any spare capacity

18 hours ago, ann141 said:

Its not been confirmed that thomas Cook will go into administration,.There are still slight possibilities that the government might step in to help.I contacted P and O earlier today and they assured me that any cruises booked through Thomas Cook would just transfer to them.More of a problem for people currently on holiday and those who have booked Thomas Cook flights independantly

Thanks for this.  I’m not sure where we stand. We’re due to fly out to Brittania on 3rd January, paid balance to Thomas Cook just last week and very much doubt that my balance was forwarded to P&O!! Know (or think) I’m covered by ABTA & credit card but not sure how this works in relation to existing bookings already fully paid i.e. will P&O save booking until compensation is forthcoming?

1 hour ago, BrianI said:

What you need to realise is that the TC aircraft will still exist along with pilots and aircrew. Thus there will still be available capacity. What is needed is someone to take them over and operate them.

Brian 

I think that Jet2 will take them on --- have no reason why I say this but they are a growing company and to be honest, a really good one at that !

3 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

Thanks for this.  I’m not sure where we stand. We’re due to fly out to Brittania on 3rd January, paid balance to Thomas Cook just last week and very much doubt that my balance was forwarded to P&O!! Know (or think) I’m covered by ABTA & credit card but not sure how this works in relation to existing bookings already fully paid i.e. will P&O save booking until compensation is forthcoming?

I think you will need to speak to someone at P and O if TC goes into administration.We have just paid several small deposits for future cruises to Thomas Cook which I presume P and O will have but not sure what will happen in your case. It is in P and O s interests to help people as much as they can.The P and O freephone number is 08000523840 incase you need it

52 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I think you will need to speak to someone at P and O if TC goes into administration.We have just paid several small deposits for future cruises to Thomas Cook which I presume P and O will have but not sure what will happen in your case. It is in P and O s interests to help people as much as they can.The P and O freephone number is 08000523840 incase you need it

There have been several TAs who have gone bust over the years and P&O have always taken over the bookings and honoured any payments already made, I imagine the same will apply if eventually Thomas Cook goes into administration.

5 hours ago, BrianI said:

What you need to realise is that the TC aircraft will still exist along with pilots and aircrew. Thus there will still be available capacity. What is needed is someone to take them over and operate them.

Brian 

TC airline has been on sale for 6 months already, and no one wants to buy them. Ironically, their slots are probably worth more than the airline!

7 hours ago, ann141 said:

Thanks for this - tried to ring P&O yesterday and they’ve now got a recorded message relating to TC saying they’re monitoring situation!

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

There have been several TAs who have gone bust over the years and P&O have always taken over the bookings and honoured any payments already made, I imagine the same will apply if eventually Thomas Cook goes into administration.

Thanks - that’s quite reassuring. I know it’s still early days and hopefully something may be sorted with rescue package - I’ve only got a holiday to lose, thousands have their jobs on the line!