NCL Travel Insurance

margoula

6 minutes ago, margoula said:

We are booked on a cruise end of October. 

just curious we have purchased NCL Platinum Insurance .....I’m a worry wart.
if we have to cancel for a medical reason are we covered?

Before purchasing did you read what the coverage included and if it was even applicable to you and your life????? Is it a pre existing medical condition or a brand new reason?

Go read the policy for all your answers. 

Edited by esm54687
  • Like 2

NCL travel insurance is awfully expensive, has poor medical and evacuation coverage. You should have done your homework on the most important aspect of travel insurance...... Yuu should have purchased coverage from Insuremytrip, Geoblue, or Berkshire Hathaway travel .... which is my choice. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

The thing I like about NCL insurance is the "Cancel for any reason" clause.  Cancelling because of something in life came up unexpectedly is just as likely if not more likely to happen than an illness.

This clause is why NCL insurance is more expensive than the cheapie plans that sell you things that are extremely unlikely to happen.  IMHO, insurance is for things that are most likely to happen, not unlikely to happen.  

I have a Haven cabin booked and have peace of mind.  If our family cant make it from Argentina, our dog gets sick, a flood hits our house, or God forbid and injury, we are covered with 75% future cruise credit.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. I always laugh at the slick insurance companies who take people's money and offer them cheap insurance.  Sure if you one of you gets sick, you may be covered but the others in your party will be required to still go on the cruise.  If you miss the ship, you are not covered, etc.

Another perk about booking directly with NCL was highlighted with hurricane Dorian.  Read the reviews on Breakaway here on CC.  Those who booked their cruise directly with NCL did not have to book any travel or wait in lines for internet access to contact their TA or try and get flights themselves.  NCL already booked their flights and slipped it under their cabin door.  So while some of you guys flame people for booking directly with NCL or buying their insurance, there are definite perks.

Another fallacy that is routinely posted here is credit card companies having a "cancel for any reason" clause.  You better read the fine print. No credit card company is going to pay you back the price of your cruise simply because something in life came up.  Also google how the airlines were sued with scaring their customers when booking a flight to buy cheap and crappy insurance that did not cover squat.  If you notice, the airlines settled and you no longer see this option when booking a flight online.  Just like with medical or auto insurance, you get what you pay for.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The thing I like about NCL insurance is the "Cancel for any reason" clause.  Cancelling because of something in life came up unexpectedly is just as likely if not more likely to happen than an illness.

This clause is why NCL insurance is more expensive than the cheapie plans that sell you things that are extremely unlikely to happen.  IMHO, insurance is for things that are most likely to happen, not unlikely to happen.  

I have a Haven cabin booked and have peace of mind.  If our family cant make it from Argentina, our dog gets sick, a flood hits our house, or God forbid and injury, we are covered with 75% future cruise credit.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. I always laugh at the slick insurance companies who take people's money and offer them cheap insurance.  Sure if you one of you gets sick, you may be covered but the others in your party will be required to still go on the cruise.  If you miss the ship, you are not covered, etc.

I bought the package only because I cant get insurance travel insurance elsewhere due to medical history but I am covered by NCL's policy. One  stipulation was that I could not have seen  doctor or had any tests done 2 or 3 months Cant remember which it was) in advance of trip.

9 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Another perk about booking directly with NCL was highlighted with hurricane Dorian.  Read the reviews on Breakaway here on CC.  Those who booked their cruise directly with NCL did not have to book any travel or wait in lines for internet access to contact their TA or try and get flights themselves.  NCL already booked their flights and slipped it under their cabin door.  So while some of you guys flame people for booking directly with NCL or buying their insurance, there are definite perks.

Another fallacy that is routinely posted here is credit card companies having a "cancel for any reason" clause.  You better read the fine print. No credit card company is going to pay you back the price of your cruise simply because something in life came up.  Also google how the airlines were sued with scaring their customers when booking a flight to buy cheap and crappy insurance that did not cover squat.  If you notice, the airlines settled and you no longer see this option when booking a flight online.  Just like with medical insurance, you get what you pay for.

Yes, there are perks when it comes to NCL when it comes to cruise coverage but their insurance is arguably the weakest when it comes to medical coverage which seems to be OP's major concern. Sure, you'll get your cruise money back but where are they when you get sick on a cruise, or in a port, or need medical evac? Bare bones ..... They are very week if in dire need ....... Again, NCL's coverage focuses more on the cruise itself than anyone's health in emergencies and level of coverage. Of course any insurance is better than none and opinions vary ...... 

10 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes, there are perks when it comes to NCL when it comes to cruise coverage but their insurance is arguably the weakest when it comes to medical coverage which seems to be OP's major concern. Sure, you'll get your cruise money back but where are they when you get sick on a cruise, or in a port, or need medical evac? Bare bones ..... They are very week if in dire need ....... Again, NCL's coverage focuses more on the cruise itself than anyone's health in emergencies and level of coverage. Of course any insurance is better than none and opinions vary ...... 

You actually made my point stronger 🙂 I disagree NCL's insurance is weak on the medical side. I have their cheapest plan, not the platinum plan the OP has.  It covers $10,000 of accident medical expense and sickness expense and also a $1000 dental expense. It also covers $25,000 of emergency medical evacuation.  Any excess of these amounts is extreme IMHO especially if you have medical insurance.
Clearly every plan is different for different people.  IMHO the chance of being medically evacuated from a cruise is 0.00003%.  But this is a familiar scare tactic to get people to buy some cheap plan covering them for such an unlikely scenario.  Meanwhile, if they have to see the ship's doctor or other medical stuff is not covered.  But I took the insurance for the cancel for any reason because when your cruise is over $10,000 you are taking a HUGE risk because I booked it 1.5 years before the cruise.  As they say, LIFE happens and would love the flexibility to rebook at a later time without losing so much money.  I don't want to sound like I am promoting NCL insurance or attacking other's insurance.  I just think people are misled and ripped off by insurance companies.  If I had a sail away rate, I would take chances and think insurance was for fools.  I worked so hard for 1.5 years paying every month on my cruise, I need to protect it.

• Like 2

Remember, most of the prominent credit cards also cover trip cancellation cost for up to $5K $10 or more for nearly any reason so that defeats the benefits that some are claiming are a benefit of purchasing from NCL.   Medical evacuation from at sea could run over $150K easily, far in excess of NCL coverage.   Consider sticking with the  third party insurers for their superior medical and evacuation coverage, trip cancellation coverage to supplement you credit cards, and realize if you really want more insurance that NCL offers you at trip cancellation policy for any reason for about $75 per person (or less) at 120 days out.   Maybe those that already purchased insurance from NCL directly or their TA but do so from a third party  are not offer this  this inexpensive back up option.

On 9/27/2019 at 5:18 PM, david_sobe said:

It covers $10,000 of accident medical expense and sickness expense and also a $1000 dental expense. It also covers $25,000 of emergency medical evacuation.  Any excess of these amounts is extreme IMHO especially if you have medical insurance.

While some US health insurance plans have international coverage, it is definitely not the norm. 

$10k may be enough for an injury, but not for catastrophic things. A TA I know had a client that had a heart attack on a cruise - the bills were $100k before they evacuated from Europe back to the states (all covered by their third party plan). Severe accidents will also add up fast. I sprained my ankle during a ship activity - because of that they didn't charge me, but since the ship posted their prices I was able to add up all they did and it was almost $3k! For a freaking sprained ankle. $10k likely isn't enough except for the most basic things. 

Back in late July we had to cancel the Aug cruise a week before when I developed severe medical condition that greatly impaired my walking and enjoyment of cruise. We had the NCL Platinum insurance was were able to get all the funds back - we needed a doctor's report - except for the insurance itself.

On a different cruise I had to go to medical 3 times. I had to get whatever medical costs refunded from my local medical insurance and the NCL insurance paid the excess.

• 1 month later...

this seems to be the most recent NCL insurance thread.

wondering what everyones cost is. just booked $8K room and NCL only wants to charge 35 PP for 3 people. that seems a tad cheap. i know they arent the best plan but that seems reallllly too cheap but its in the Essentials Travel Protection part of my planner 

PRICE

$35.00

per person

tripinsurancestore starts around 400 to 500. 

Edited by luckyinpa

12 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

this seems to be the most recent NCL insurance thread.

wondering what everyones cost is. just booked $8K room and NCL only wants to charge 35 PP for 3 people. that seems a tad cheap. i know they arent the best plan but that seems reallllly too cheap but its in the Essentials Travel Protection part of my planner 

PRICE

$35.00

per person

tripinsurancestore starts around 400 to 500. 

This is basically accidental insurance while you are on your trip - covers delays, lost luggage and some medical - expenses you might incur while you are traveling.  Trip insurance covers reimbursement if you can't go or have to leave early, plus lost luggage, transportation and so forth.

NCL offers trip insurance during the booking process - seems to run about 10% of the cost.  But once you decline and go on to book, it's no longer available.  I don't know if you can call to add, but most policies want you to sign up immediately.  Pre-existing conditions are usually excluded if you wait more than  a few days.

Edited by julig22

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/NCL_Essentials_MA_OK_TN_TX_COI_8-19.pdf

i know they are low amounts but still seems cheap.Accident Medical Expense Maximum Benefit for Medical Expenses $10,000 per Trip Maximum Benefit for Dental Expenses $1,000 per Trip Baggage Delay Maximum Benefit $750 per Trip Baggage/Personal Effects Maximum Benefit $1,500 per Trip Per Article Limit $250 per Trip Combined Maximum Benefit $400 per Trip Emergency Evacuation Maximum Benefit $25,000 per Trip Repatriation of Remains Maximum Benefit $5,000 per Trip Sickness Medical Expense Maximum Benefit for Medical Expenses $10,000 per Trip Trip Delay Maximum Benefit $500 per Trip

trip was booked thru a TA today. i did remember doing mock bookings and seeing what you were discussing. 

and i didnt see in this plan the 75 or 90 percent future credit either so thats probably why so cheap. 

ive always used trip insurance store but this 35 bucks had me curious. 

On 9/29/2019 at 1:13 AM, Hotspring said:

Remember, most of the prominent credit cards also cover trip cancellation cost for up to $5K $10 or more for nearly any reason so that defeats the benefits that some are claiming are a benefit of purchasing from NCL.   Medical evacuation from at sea could run over $150K easily, far in excess of NCL coverage.

Normally took NCL's insurance until I retired. You are 100% accurate in stating medical evac can run $150k to $250k. My insurance coverage is no where near those amounts so now have Travel Insured.

Some of the posts above make it sound as though you can't buy "Cancel for Any Reason" travel insurance except from NCL.  That's just not true.  You can certainly purchase such coverage from third-party travel insurers like Travel Guard and many others. 

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

wondering what everyones cost is

The premiums  (at least in the U.S. using third-party insurers) are determined by your age and the length of your trip (and possibly where you are going).  or us (Medicare age! 😊), the premiums for the decent insurance we buy from reputable companies like Travel Guard run about 10% of the cost of the trip (perhaps a little less).   It's very important to us that we have coverage that does not exclude pre-existing conditions (for us and for family members not traveling with us) and that provides medical coverage as the primary. 

Edited by Turtles06

My friend and I booked the Jade TA last year and for convenience booked the NCL platinum insurance. I have had several bouts of cancer and their pre existing condition was fairly liberal. Sure enough, I had a problem and had to cancel. One phone call, a simple form and within 2 weeks we were cancelled with a full refund. I had to cancel a cruise 9 years ago when recovering from cancer treatment and had used one of the most popular travel insurance policies. Well, six months, 3 denials and finally I received the refund. I will add that my career was in insurance review and resolution for a mayor company. Without this experience I would still be fighting over the denials. So, the NCL insurance ended up being the right insurance for us. On a happy note, we have booked the same cruise on the Escape for this April.

I thought the only NCL travel insurance plans were standard and platinum. When I logged into MyNCL and looked at my January cruise summary there was a section called Essentials Travel Protection.  When I expanded that section it offered a very basic travel protection for $25 per person.  When did they begin offering that?  I don't recall seeing that on any of my other trips.  Is NCL offering 3 levels of trip insurance now?

On 9/27/2019 at 4:54 PM, FranknBeans said:

I bought the package only because I cant get insurance travel insurance elsewhere due to medical history but I am covered by NCL's policy. One  stipulation was that I could not have seen  doctor or had any tests done 2 or 3 months Cant remember which it was) in advance of trip.

Ditto it was the only place that I could get insurance for many pre exiting  issues.

Update on myself.  After this thread started awhile back, I priced upgrading to platinum. It was only a few hundred more so I upgraded before my final payment. If you pay that much for the basic plan about 20% more gives you the platinum plan which is not too bad.

WE have had to use it in the past for my parents...Platinum it was....and they did everything in their power to prove that medical issues were due to pre-existing conditions....but we prevailed in the end.  And believe it or not, we are actually facing similar issues as my parents decided to book last minute to join the rest of the family on a cruise....but no one feels that they are healthy enough....one of them fell down and hit their head - stitches, concussion....just truly a hassle.  It would be great if you could just say "give me the 90% towards a future cruise" but NCL will not allow you to transfer the credit to another name.  And yet what are the odds that my parents 85 and 96 will be able to cruise in the future if not this time?

I know....if I would have been home...I would have booked private insurance...but I was actually on a cruise myself and grand daughter did what she thought best....hence the PLATINUM