Booking with NR Deposit- need help.

jelayne

Considering booking another cruise for 2020 and in looking at pricing for a Sky Suite both the refundable and non refundable rate include all 4 perks.  When I read the terms for the Non-Refundable rate on the page where you choose which rate they seemed pretty clear. 

When I got to the Confirmation Page and clicked on Cancellation Fee it says if I book and then cancel after today the Cancellation is 25% of the Cruise Fare️That would be about $2400.

Anyone with experience with NR deposits who can enlighten me? Thanks.509EBF94-C216-4EED-AE4A-B839E6B51C1B.thumb.jpeg.63050d8f0085f017d19962a58414e57c.jpeg13C11229-8A79-41AB-A50F-E4CA6C662A9F.thumb.png.9255a04817a35aa8bc7cf9eb8f62eb06.pngE4ABE6BD-D412-4D08-A728-E253D6946963.thumb.png.fa04315d2923d1d7666fde882275b6b1.png

That is correct unfortunately.  The NRD cruise should be a fair bit cheaper than the Refundable cruise.  I guess you really have to decide for sure if you are going & hope nothing goes wrong before the cruise.  You are able to change the NRD cruise to another one with a $100. Every time you change it as long as you don’t cancel it.  If you cancel you have to pay as per the NRD schedule.

Edited by If only

Which is correct?  The small print says if I cancel before final payment I get my deposit in the form of a future cruise credit less $100 pp.  so with $900 deposit that reads I like lose $200 and get the remaining $700 applied as a FCC.  

The other says  if I book today and cancel anytime from tomorrow until Aug 13, 2020 I owe 25% of the cruise fare or $2400+. 

Thats a big difference.

17 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Thanks for pointing this out.  I thought that we always had 90 days before the cruise to cancel without penalty.

That is correct if you book a refundable deposit fare.  I am looking at the non refundable fare, which for the cruise I’m considering the difference is $1,000

20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Which is correct?  The small print says if I cancel before final payment I get my deposit in the form of a future cruise credit less $100 pp.  so with $900 deposit that reads I like lose $200 and get the remaining $700 applied as a FCC.  

The other says  if I book today and cancel anytime from tomorrow until Aug 13, 2020 I owe 25% of the cruise fare or $2400+. 

Thats a big difference.

i just changed a few reservations to nonrefundable deposits.

I scanned the invoices and they all say the same thing. The wording for the nonrefundable deposit reads exactly as the website and its explanation. If you make a change to the ship or to the date of sailing, you will be charged $100 for the change; in other words, the deposit is nonrefundable but you can transfer the money to another sailing.

As far as the cancellation policy reads, on the day after final payment is due the cancellation penalty is 25%. And the amount increases from them, pretty much to the same level as any other cancellation policies I've ever read from Celebrity, irregardless of the type of deposit involved.

I would err on the side of caution, of course. But, I'm sure that when you ask for the invoice by email that you'll be assured the website is wrong. I'm sure that the programming of the website didn't calculate the proper date for the cancellation policy of 25% to come into effect.

If you outright cancel with NRD Celebrity will charge you 25% of you cruise the day after it was booked.  I guess they are trying to lock everyone into booking cruises ahead for time but I’m sure they are not getting too many people booking that way.

8 minutes ago, Member123 said:

i just changed a few reservations to nonrefundable deposits.

I scanned the invoices and they all say the same thing. The wording for the nonrefundable deposit reads exactly as the website and its explanation. If you make a change to the ship or to the date of sailing, you will be charged $100 for the change; in other words, the deposit is nonrefundable but you can transfer the money to another sailing.

As far as the cancellation policy reads, on the day after final payment is due the cancellation penalty is 25%. And the amount increases from them, pretty much to the same level as any other cancellation policies I've ever read from Celebrity, irregardless of the type of deposit involved.

I would err on the side of caution, of course. But, I'm sure that when you ask for the invoice by email that you'll be assured the website is wrong. I'm sure that the programming of the website didn't calculate the proper date for the cancellation policy of 25% to come into effect.

This is what I am used to.  Anyways it is best to put as little down for a deposit as possible.  I have lost several small deposits.

4 minutes ago, If only said:

If you outright cancel with NRD Celebrity will charge you 25% of you cruise the day after it was booked.  I guess they are trying to lock everyone into booking cruises ahead for time but I’m sure they are not getting too many people booking that way.

No.

It clearly states on my invoices the date that the cancellation policy would be 25%.

And that date is the day AFTER final payment is due.

The date is clearly spelled out and it is not the day after my booking date.

If I do not move my deposit to another ship or sailing date, then I will lose the entire deposit. If I move my deposit then I will lose $100 of it, per person.

Edited by Member123

4 minutes ago, Member123 said:

No.

It clearly states on my invoices the date that the cancellation policy would be 25%.

And that date is the day AFTER final payment is due.

The date is clearly spelled out and it is not the day after my booking date.

If I do not move my deposit to another ship or sailing date, then I will lose the entire deposit. If I move my deposit then I will lose $100 of it, per person.

Then your cruise is not non refundable.  It should say NRD on your invoice if it is.

Edited by If only

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how they can possibly charge you more than your deposit.  

Only on NRD bookings, as usually it is a much cheaper price than refundable.

Edited by If only

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how they can possibly charge you more than your deposit.  

Well they have your Cr card info and you agree to the terms when you book. Which is why I want to find others who had experience with NR deposits.

I think the only way to get a "final answer" to this question is to either call Celebrity and book with an agent or book through a knowledgeable travel agent.  Their website is awful when it comes to making or adjusting bookings.

2 hours ago, If only said:

Then your cruise is not non refundable.  It should say NRD on your invoice if it is.

Yes.

I have NONREFUNDABLE deposit bookings.

I'm telling you the exact wording as it appears on my invoices.

I think that this is false information being given that if you have a nonrefundable deposit that you automatically owe 25% of your cruise fare. That's not the case.

Clearly and absolutely the invoice states that you will forfeit the following: $100 for certain, if you change your reservation. The remainder of your deposit is applied to a future cruise booking.

AND, the cancellation policy of your reservation. Which clearly states the dates when the different cruise fare percentages come into play. The day AFTER final payment, if you cancel the cruise you owe 25% of the cruise fare. And the rest is just as normal as what everyone has with a nonrefundable OR refundable deposit.

It's called a nonrefundable DEPOSIT. It's the deposit money that is in discussion NOT the cruise fare itself.

Edited by Member123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Member123 said:

Yes.

I have NONREFUNDABLE deposit bookings.

I'm telling you the exact wording as it appears on my invoices.

I think that this is false information being given that if you have a nonrefundable deposit that you automatically owe 25% of your cruise fare. That's not the case.

Clearly and absolutely the invoice states that you will forfeit the following: $100 for certain, if you change your reservation. The remainder of your deposit is applied to a future cruise booking.

AND, the cancellation policy of your reservation. Which clearly states the dates when the different cruise fare percentages come into play. The day AFTER final payment, if you cancel the cruise you owe 25% of the cruise fare. And the rest is just as normal as what everyone has with a nonrefundable OR refundable deposit.

It's called a nonrefundable DEPOSIT. It's the deposit money that is in discussion NOT the cruise fare itself.

On the cruise we booked that is NRD, if we cancelled the dates were earlier than if it was Refundable. That is the only difference.

We just switched to a NRD booking when we decided to upgrade our cabin category. Our insurance will cover any loss IF we have to cancel for a medical reason. So far, that's the only reason we have cancelled any cruise. So we're rolling the dice on this one. We would most likely rebook anyway.

9 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Looks like your suite may have a separate immediately effective cancellation fee, and NRD is different.

Choosing a Veranda showed the  same 25% fare penalty.  Hope to get it e today to call and get clarification.

The "Cancellation fee" of 25% the day after booking is just that a fee to CANCEL, as in I am not going on any Celebrity Cruise ever!    

If you simply decide THIS Celebrity cruise is not going to work, there is a $100 fee to change to a different sailing. You can pick any future cruise to move your deposit to.  And if you decide to change THAT one, it will again be another $100 change fee.

You give up some flexibility to save money.  You should have insurance anyway, so get insurance and that way if you decide you really have to "Cancel" no postpone you will get the money back that way.