Hand washing...

AndyMichelle

I am not one of the older generation but heading towards that. Assuming by elderly they meant people in their eighties,  then mostwho lived through the post war years had a tough time. 

If they were talking about people nearing 70 as elderly who grew up in the sixties like me, we had a great time. However I'd be insulted to be called elderly  and challenge some of the young whipersnappers to a 50 mile bike ride or an afternon on the water in 30 to 40 knot winds

Quote Noflyguy

"I would second most of what's been posted and am careful to wash my hands etc.

I don't go as far as to avoid touching handrails - I'm on holiday and want to relax and although less congested, one could  pick up a bug in an hotel on land if unlucky.

It is dreadful that some passengers handle food in the buffet and then replace it but equally I'm not convinced that tongs are a good idea.

In some ways I would rather someone pick up a bread roll, without touching anything else and take it back to their table, than use the tongs. If their cleanliness is lacking their bugs could be transferred to the tongs risking all those who subsequently use the tongs."

The thing about using the tongs, is that any germs should be only on the Handles of the tongs.

If people start to pick up food with their hands, then contamination can be spread from their arm and skin on touching other items.

Usually spray by hands with anti viral stuff after using tongs before eating

Edited by Pennbank
  • Like 1

The people I have spoken to about not washing their hands seem to think that the risk is only to themselves, and do not feel that it will not affect them. They do not seem to realise that other people who have the same attitude can infect them. This major problem seems to be overlooked on the briefings.

What is all this 'working hard for the country' stuff?  I'd include people obliged to do war service in WW2 in that, but can't think of anyone else who fits that description - and are there really that many WW2 veterans still cruising?  I'm sure there'll be some, but not many, and are any of those on these forums?

Most people work hard to earn a living - I know I did.  But it's a bit odd saying it's working hard for the country!

3 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

This is really interesting. I travel on P&O, I'm male and aged 63. Could some one tell me at what age I will become bad mannered and unhygienic have to wear funny coloured specs and it also appears I will become racist as well. Will I be able to delay the onset of these conditions by travelling on another cruise line?

Don.t be impatient and stay in the queue,I'm in front of you.

9 hours ago, Ranchi said:

I always use a paper towel to handle the deck quoits...oh heck, has that blown my green credentials?

Seriously if you are conscious of such things you are always touching your eyes, mouth etc with your hands. There was a post a few weeks back about a woman who got an eye infection on board and blamed poor hand hygiene in the buffet. 

I’m retired now but spent 30+ years working in labs where eye protection was mandatory. Fortunately we only had two incidents of eye contamination. Both occurred outside the lab as people who had been in the lab inadvertently touched their eye with a contaminated finger. 

Right, that's it, I'm going full CSI suit, goggles and marigolds... 

Them nasty germs ain't getting me... 😊

Andy 

28 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It amuses me Les, I only wondered if someone would say 'I do it because'.. 

Andy 

You could never have foreseen someone saying P&O were the most unhygienic fleet due to the many old people that cruised on them. That was the most hilarious comment I read. Well done for creating a bit amusement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

What is all this 'working hard for the country' stuff?  I'd include people obliged to do war service in WW2 in that, but can't think of anyone else who fits that description - and are there really that many WW2 veterans still cruising?  I'm sure there'll be some, but not many, and are any of those on these forums?

Most people work hard to earn a living - I know I did.  But it's a bit odd saying it's working hard for the country!

There must be because the entertainment team keep playing  Vera Lynn for them!!😁

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 7:02 PM, chrisg1uk said:

The worst case I saw in the buffet was a lady who inserted her finger into one of the puddings.  When challenged she got aggressive  shouting at the staff member that she had washed her hands and she needed to check how hot it was.   Needless to say, the whole tray was taken away.   

P&O ought to simply follow the style of some of the other Carnival brands such as Holland America where everything in the buffet is behind glass and staff serve you whatever you ask for.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, picsa said:

P&O ought to simply follow the style of some of the other Carnival brands such as Holland America where everything in the buffet is behind glass and staff serve you whatever you ask for.

I 100% agree.

The Captain told us to do that on Aurora a few years ago, and now I always hum "Happy birthday" twice to myself when washing my hands on a cruise. I'm extra careful because I am allergic to the hand gel and cannot use it, so i'm like Lady Macbeth on a cruise!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 1:54 PM, dgs1956 said:

This is really interesting. I travel on P&O, I'm male and aged 63. Could some one tell me at what age I will become bad mannered and unhygienic have to wear funny coloured specs and it also appears I will become racist as well. Will I be able to delay the onset of these conditions by travelling on another cruise line?

Not for a decade or two at least,  but too much exposure to threads like this might might bring on premature grumpyness.

21 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Not for a decade or two at least,  but too much exposure to threads like this might might bring on premature grumpyness.

It takes a lot of hard working for your country to achieve this status.

Screenshot_2019-10-02 old gits - Google Search.png

Edited by brian1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

That's reassuring and in the meantime maybe I should just avoid some posters although I don't really think they were serious.