Must we have our cabin 'cleaned' twice a day?

clo

returned one eve. after dinner.  room was not touched.  Could not figure it out, until I looked at the outside of the door.  Had forgotten to take off do not disturb !  they will not go into any cabin with that sign on the door.  was fine with the way we left the room, but called for clean towels, which they brought straight away.  Worst part:  We really missed not getting our chocolates!

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, clo said:

I sincerely don't understand your point.  I see people here who want plastic straws and all sorts of other things so my point is environmentally driven.

Still want those plastic straws but don't know what the all sorts of other things mean. 

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

When did they start using  the tags for the door handle like in hotels??

Last cruise  in April  they still had the card you put in the  slot behind the cabin number for the  signsimage.png.521f32be5cf25fb9603415c521883fdb.png

Oh dear.  You are right it was a card but it was certainly not  as beautifully gold as in your photo. We were on Nautica in August and I am assuming that when she has her refit in June next year she will have golden cards to show on the door slot.    That said the principle is the same.   J 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

Oh dear.  You are right it was a card but it was certainly not  as beautifully gold as in your photo. We were on Nautica in August and I am assuming that when she has her refit in June next year she will have golden cards to show on the door slot.    That said the principle is the same.   J 

I think the cards are  still blue & white  the photo does look like gold  colour😲

the holder is  brass/gold colour though

The photo was from 2004  but the holders still look the same on the R Ships  or at least  when we were on in 2016

23 hours ago, clo said:

I'm cool with the cabin stewards coming in in the morning but would rather just leave it at that.  I'm super tidy in hotel rooms and ship cabins 🙂  Should I just tell our cabin steward to that effect?  Also what's the routine with towels?  Is it like hotels where if you drop it on the floor they'll replace.  If not they won't?  We're pretty hard-core Left Coast environmentalists so reusing towels for several days is what we want.  And advice/info in this regard is appreciate.  TIA.

Just tell your steward you only want morning service or put the “privacy please” note on your door.

1 minute ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Just tell your steward you only want morning service or put the “privacy please” note on your door.

I'll ask them their preference.  I want to lighten their load by not having a service that we really don't need.

15 hours ago, clo said:

I'll ask them their preference.  I want to lighten their load by not having a service that we really don't need.

You might consider that it possibly would add to their load by having to do something out of their normal routine. It really is no big deal, I would advise to just go with the flow and let them to their job as they always do. 

The easiest way to lighten their load is to not make special requests and keep your room picked up. 

• Like 3

Communicating with your attendant at the beginning that hung towels do not need to be changed is effective, passively communicating with the privacy sign out (I've taken cruises where I am there to relax and that sign is out a lot and they don't disturb you), and also leaving a note inside the room saying no service needed if you are really concerned are all options available to you. 

In fact, we have had attendants see us coming out of the room, with all these things in place, and ask are you still OK, or would you like us to do anything for you today/tonight?

Its definitely 100% under your control to have the room handled the way you would like it managed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ORV said:

You might consider that it possibly would add to their load by having to do something out of their normal routine. It really is no big deal, I would advise to just go with the flow and let them to their job as they always do. 

The easiest way to lighten their load is to not make special requests and keep your room picked up. 

++ 1 ORV

On 9/30/2019 at 10:53 PM, Essiesmom said:

We don't require twice a day service because, well, it is difficult to get my sister out of bed before noon unless it's a new port to us and we have an excursion.  So I will have a little conversation with the attendant so they will not stress about not getting in the cabin in the mornings.  EM

Just put the do not disturb sign out.  They will clean when it is removed.  Having them wait to PM puts more strain on them.  Towels, hang up they don't replace. This is not a hotel they do not push you out of your room to clean it.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:08 PM, cbb said:

If we are gone on overnights we tell them to make up the room for bedtime and they need to do nothing else for us.  

If we are remaining on board at the end of one cruise we tell the attendant that he/she will not be needed for that day or night.  We can make up our own bed and reuse towels as we do at home and they are grateful that it is one less room to have to do that very hectic day. 

I told my attendants the same things when I went on overland excursions and on turn around days, but the stewardess and asst steward said that their supervisor insisted that they do the usual service every day no matter whether I was there or not. She also said that the supervisor would go around randomly to check and make sure they did. She said she appreciated what I was trying to do to lighten her work load, but she didn't want to get in trouble. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 1

We've told our attendants not to do our rooms on turn arounds and overlands for years--I wonder if you had a new supervisor since we just returned from 2 mos on Nautica and talked to our attendant several times about our cabin and he was able to skip us successfully. 

Oh well, we all try...

22 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

I am guessing but could there be a wellness check involved in the twice/day routine. 

That is possible

one cruise  DH went ashore I was not feeling well so stayed in the cabin ..asleep

He was suppose to tell housekeeping  I was asleep  but did not see them

He did put the Do not disturb sign up but the room steward call about noonish  to see if all was well

1 hour ago, cbb said:

We've told our attendants not to do our rooms on turn arounds and overlands for years--I wonder if you had a new supervisor since we just returned from 2 mos on Nautica and talked to our attendant several times about our cabin and he was able to skip us successfully. 

Oh well, we all try...

Maybe...at least I tried. I always keep my cabin cleaned up and clutter free to lessen their workload. I'm appalled at how messy and cluttered some cabins are (seen as I'm walking down the hall and their door is open).

• Like 7

Go Bucks--

I've seen those rooms and have been glad i'm not a roomie of that person--couldn't handle it! 

Our last cruise I bought fresh flowers every week or so and our room attendant enjoyed them as much as we did.

We discussed which port had the prettiest flowers and where I had purchased them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I always keep my cabin cleaned up and clutter free to lessen their workload.

I do that when I've only spent one night in a hotel.  Anything that can be put in the trash is.  I think it's respectful.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Maybe...at least I tried. I always keep my cabin cleaned up and clutter free to lessen their workload. I'm appalled at how messy and cluttered some cabins are (seen as I'm walking down the hall and their door is open).

My family always tells me that I clean for the housekeeper. Yes, have seem some many a cabin in total disarray.

Too each their own.

3 hours ago, clo said:

I do that when I've only spent one night in a hotel.  Anything that can be put in the trash is.  I think it's respectful.

PS:  I'm not like this at home 🙂

On our B2B in May 2018 we followed CBB's advice and told the cabin attendant not to bother cleaning the room on turnover day.  She wouldn't do so.  We didn't argue with her!  She didn't say that her supervisor would object, she just insisted on cleaning the room.

Some years ago we asked our cabin attendant NOT to tuck in the sheets.  This is a problem DH has.  She said (at that time) that her supervisor would fault her if she did as we asked.  On more recent cruises, they've accommodated this request ... so these things may change over time.

we asked  on one cruise not to leave the floor mats/cloths  at night  ..I had to speak to the supervisor  in order for the  stewardess to be able to skip leaving them

Then she would leave them some nights...  they just do things automatically  sometimes

I gave up & just put them on the table for her 😉

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

we asked  on one cruise not to leave the floor mats/cloths  at night  ..I had to speak to the supervisor  in order for the  stewardess to be able to skip leaving them

Then she would leave them some nights...  they just do things automatically  sometimes

I gave up & just put them on the table for her 😉

There seems to be a recurring theme here that requests that we think might make things easier for the steward/stewardess are actually more work.  I'll admit I've done it myself. 

These hard working individuals are trained to follow a routine, day in and day out.  Special requests that they do something extra, or not do something they are trained to do, is just something else they have to remember.  And multiple that by "x" number of suites/staterooms they are responsible for, and it becomes quite an effort I'm sure.

This thread has been a good reminder for me.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

My family always tells me that I clean for the housekeeper. Yes, have seem some many a cabin in total disarray.

Too each their own.

We clean up for us since we live there. Can't exist in a mess.  As you say   to each his own.

15 hours ago, Mura said:

Some years ago we asked our cabin attendant NOT to tuck in the sheets.  This is a problem DH has.  She said (at that time) that her supervisor would fault her if she did as we asked.  

I've requested the same thing for years but they always tuck them in...I gave up awhile ago and assumed it was just the way they're told to do it. Before bed I go around the bed and untuck the sheet...easier than asking.😉