Port change from Costa Rica to Acapulco?

km3045

In comment 799 on the Roll Call for the Joy's Nov. 8, 2019 cruise, CC member cruzmary reports that she asked Gio Tours in Costa Rica (with whom she'd booked a tour that she now had to cancel) if they knew why NCL was cancelling the port calls, and they wrote back: "Apparently the Norwegian Joy ship is too big for the pier, and the docking depth is not deep enough."

I have no idea whether this is true, I'm just passing along that info from that Roll Call.

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

In comment 799 on the Roll Call for the Joy's Nov. 8, 2019 cruise, CC member cruzmary reports that she asked Gio Tours in Costa Rica (with whom she'd booked a tour that she now had to cancel) if they knew why NCL was cancelling the port calls, and they wrote back: "Apparently the Norwegian Joy ship is too big for the pier, and the docking depth is not deep enough."

I have no idea whether this is true, I'm just passing along that info from that Roll Call.

I was on the Bliss last year and we made it.  I think this ship is the same size.

• Like 1

We had no issue docking in Costa Rica on the Bliss. With the several emails we got about itinerary changes to our Panama Canal cruise it was stated that it was a berthing issue. In other words there were too many ships in port and no room is what we were told. 

We are booked on the Bliss Nov. 3rd sailing of the Panama Canal. We are disappointed in the port change from Puntarenas Costa Rica to Acapulco, MX. We had excursions paid for in Costa Rica, for the zip line. I assume they will refund our money. We also had an excursion paid for in Guatemala, which is no longer showing up. The only reason I have found for the change, is that the U.S. Embassy issued a health warning for Costa Rica, for the RSV virus. Reason enough???

4 minutes ago, Mbird50 said:

The only reason I have found for the change, is that the U.S. Embassy issued a health warning for Costa Rica, for the RSV virus. Reason enough??

I doubt it — according to this article, the RSV’s main impact is on very young children (under 2), hardly the demographic of full transit Panama Canal cruises. (Not to mention that the new port, Acapulco, has a Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory from the State Dept.)

https://news.co.cr/ministry-of-health-in-costa-rica-issues-alert-due-to-respiratory-syncytial-virus/80456/

https://ticotimes.net/2019/10/04/u-s-embassy-issues-health-alert-over-respiratory-illnesses-in-costa-rica

Welcome to Cruise Critic, by the way. 

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Folks, which port in Costa Rica was on the Bliss and Joy itineraries that has now been eliminated?  I’m guessing Puntarenas, but wanted to know for sure.  Thanks. 

Puntarenas on the 10/11/19 sailing of Joy. 

• Thanks 1

We were on the PC cruise in March/April of this year. We met a retired ATF agent on board who spoke fluent Spanish. We got off the ship and traveled to one of their markets several blocks from the port. It was quite an adventure for us, one we will never forget. We were not uneasy, but we had an experienced Spanish speaking man who was not an average Joe with us. (both he and my hubby were retired police) I will say this, you have just as much chance of being mugged or shot in a big city in the U.S. Just be aware of your surroundings. You don't have to travel very far from the port to see some of the city. We love to travel and see what life is like outside of our country. You can't do that just staying on the ship. At the very least, do a ship excursion!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Folks, which port in Costa Rica was on the Bliss and Joy itineraries that has now been eliminated?  I’m guessing Puntarenas, but wanted to know for sure.  Thanks. 

Hi Judith,

Our 15 night PC cruise on Bliss May 2018 called on Puntarenas.   

Like you, wondering if our Gem cruise will be affected 1/4/20 sailing.  Acapulco would be a huge disappointment.  I did take a ship shorex to ruins and that was fine until we got back to the city and saw all the open trucks filled with gunned masked men.  Taxi driver said they don't know if particular groups are military, para-military, police, gangs or what and warned all of us not to take any photos.  It was not a comfortable feeling.  If we end up there, the ship will be quite crowded.

30 minutes ago, CruiseMaven25 said:

So far no itinerary changes for the 10/27 Joy sailing out of Miami.  Our port is stop Puerto Limon, Costa Rica so that makes a difference.  

Most, if not all, of the PC port changes happen on the full transit, not the partial. 

In 2018 Acapulco was widely reported as the most dangerous city in Mexico.

As recent as July 2019, it was reported as the second highest murder rate city in the world.  In the world.

The US Dept of State warnings aren't just for government workers.  Almost all international companies follow the same advice.

I am not timid about petty crime. Wallet in my front pocket, stay in areas with people, etc.

But I would not get off the ship in Acapulco.  Read this article.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-acapulco-safe-the-mexican-government-wants-you-to-think-so 

We are on the 11/8/19 PC NCL cruise that canceled Puntarenas and replaced it with Acapulco.   We cruise often.  I understand that sometimes "sh!t happens", but I have to say going to Costa Rica was one of the highlights of this cruise. We are from SoCal and have cruised to Acapulco a few times on Mexican Riviera cruises. We are avid travelers and are fairly "streetwise" and usually like to socialize with the locals when we travel.  There are some beautiful areas  of Acapulco but it has never felt as safe as the other Mexican ports ( Puerto Vallarta,  Mazatlan, Cabo, La Paz, Zihuatanejo, Costa Maya) .  The last time we went was about 5-6 years ago and we felt very uncomfortable walking around the streets near the port. 

Frankly I'm surprised that NCL chose to substitute Acapulco since all of the mainstream cruise lines have stopped going there several years ago.  They even stopped going to Zihuatanejo and La Paz and those ports seemed very safe when we used to go there, although they are now in the "travel advisory" zone.  I do feel that this was a bit of a "bait and switch" on NCL's part but I guess we have no recourse. :classic_sad:

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Isn't Puerto Limon on the Atlantic side ?

The primary port on the Pacific side is Puerto Arenas (Sand Point).

Puerto Limón is indeed on the Atlantic side.

The Pacific side port that you are thinking of is Puntarenas. 

6 hours ago, fairydustca said:

Frankly I'm surprised that NCL chose to substitute Acapulco since all of the mainstream cruise lines have stopped going there several years ago.  They even stopped going to Zihuatanejo and La Paz and those ports seemed very safe when we used to go there, although they are now in the "travel advisory" zone

I do find it strange that NCL is scheduling port calls in Level 4: Do Not Travel zones, places considered so dangerous that U.S. government employees are forbidden to go there, even in the so-called "tourist" areas.  I have asked NCL's exec office about this, but not received any reply.   I am starting to wonder whether the Mexican state of Guerrero is providing NCL with major $$$ incentives for these port calls...  It would be so much better for NCL to end the rampant speculation that goes on in social media by just stating the reason for these last-minute substitutions of Acapulco for Puntarenas (not to mention why go to Acapulco and Zihua/Ixtapa at all). 

NCL is not going to cancel the port. You can do many NCL excursions that leave right there from the port. Safe excursions like cliff diving shows and the Isla Roqueta  park visit/hike that I put pictures up of earlier . NCL isn’t suggesting anyone go wander far off and walk off the beaten path. We never felt like NCL was putting us in harms way this past April in Acapulco. Many cruise ports can be dangerous if you choose to put yourself in a bad situation with poor choices. Acapulco is much more beautiful than many stops in Mexico. 

Edited by tallnthensome

23 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

NCL is not going to cancel the port. You can do many NCL excursions that leave right there from the port. Safe excursions like cliff diving shows and the Isla Roqueta  park visit/hike that I put pictures up of earlier . NCL isn’t suggesting anyone go wander far off and walk off the beaten path. We never felt like NCL was putting us in harms way this past April in Acapulco. Many cruise ports can be dangerous if you choose to put yourself in a bad situation with poor choices. Acapulco is much more beautiful than many stops in Mexico. 

I agree.  Is Acapulco any more dangerous than say Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore or any other major city that has bad areas?  And how about the homeless camps.  Acapulco will be just fine is you avoid being stupid and do not put yourself in a bad situation.   I know I just repeated what you said tall. 

Edited by jskinsd
words added

Just now, jskinsd said:

I agree.  Is Acapulco any more dangerous than say Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore or any other major city that has bad areas?  And how about the homeless camps.  Acapulco will be just fine is you avoid being stupid and do not put yourself in a bad situation.  

Correct ..... I totally agree with you. I’ve lived and worked in Metro Detroit all my life. If I can cruise to and walk the streets of Cairo and Istanbul and survive  I sure as heck am not going to cower in fear and hide on the ship in Beautiful Acapulco. 

And what is the big draw to Costa Rica that has all these people upset..  Zip lines, city tours, wine tasting, ancient ruins or the chance for adventure.  Don't these  activities happen in pretty much all Mexico and Central American ports. 

• Like 1

Having been a career military guy I've been in plenty of sketchy parts of the world.  I took the usual precautions when on my off time and fortunately nothing major happened in the past but that  doesn't mean bad things can't unexpectedly happen in the future.  Now while I would probably get off the ship in Acapulco and take my chances I sure as heck am not going to do it with my kids.  Not in a place that dangerous.