MDR food photos?

Cat4158

Hi

We take our first Celebrity Cruise in two weeks after jumping ship from RCCL. I’ve read numerous comments stating that the food is considered superior and I’ve already seen the daily menus on the app. However,  I’ve searched for threads with photos of MDR food without success. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

🙏 

54 minutes ago, Cat4158 said:

Hi

We take our first Celebrity Cruise in two weeks after jumping ship from RCCL. I’ve read numerous comments stating that the food is considered superior and I’ve already seen the daily menus on the app. However,  I’ve searched for threads with photos of MDR food without success. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

🙏

I'm curious- how does a photo (of possibly dubious quality) tell you whether or not a given dish tastes as it should? I've seen plenty of examples over the years of things that look good and taste awful ( and vice versa).

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mom says said:

I'm curious- how does a photo (of possibly dubious quality) tell you whether or not a given dish tastes as it should? I've seen plenty of examples over the years of things that look good and taste awful ( and vice versa).

Hi

I’m not really concerned about the quality of the photograph. If anyone does respond  I’ll be grateful that they’ve read my post and taken the time to satisfy my curiosity.

I fully agree you can’t define taste from a photograph, and I’d never expect that to be the case.

To be honest I’m more than a little saddened that a polite request from me should be so open to criticism from someone I’ve never met. If you wanted to know something and I could help you then I would - but I certainly wouldn’t state my concerns about your question. 

To those who have replied already - thank you for your time and consideration. 

Edited by Carol4158
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Carol4158 said:

To be honest I’m more than a little saddened that a polite request from me should be so open to criticism from someone I’ve never met.

In what fashion was I criticizing your query? I simply asked a question about your question. 

However, this is an open forum. If you are averse to any perceived criticism, directed towards yourself or anyone else. I suggest you try to be a little less sensitive.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

It's only one indication that someone may use to give them an idea of what to expect. We all have different experiences and tastes so the same can be said for anything that is subjective.

I'm more likely to value the opinion of someone I know because I would have a good idea about their taste level. That being said,  reading reviews and seeing photos can certainly be somewhat helpful to others. If not, they may as well shut down all these kinds of websites or one can always just pass them by.

Here is a link to a frequent Celebrity cruiser. He always provides wonderful photos of the various dining venues a well as a lot more valuable information. Thanks to Mike Preisman,

http://www.thepreismans.com/cruise_reviews.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carol4158 said:

Hi

I’m not really concerned about the quality of the photograph. If anyone does respond  I’ll be grateful that they’ve read my post and taken the time to satisfy my curiosity.

I fully agree you can’t define taste from a photograph, and I’d never expect that to be the case.

To be honest I’m more than a little saddened that a polite request from me should be so open to criticism from someone I’ve never met. If you wanted to know something and I could help you then I would - but I certainly wouldn’t state my concerns about your question. 

The Celeb boards can be tough,..but mostly folks try to help out

Most photos show nicely presented dishes, decent portions although some of the meat  looks very rare....we would have expected sliced duck

Edited by hcat

I enjoy seeing pictures of the food as well, and appreciate those who replied to the OP in a non-confrontational manner. 

I’ve been a lurker for a while but don’t post often because of the confrontational, judgmental, and often nonsensical replies (and users) on the Celebrity board in particular. There seems to be a number of people on here looking to argue or cast judgement on others. That’s pretty ridiculous seeing as this is a CRUISE FORUM and not a Debbie Downer Convention. 

Everyone should be thankful they’re lucky enough to go on cruises at all, and stop with all the bickering and nitpicking. It’s totally unnecessary, and totally uncool. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, mom says said:

In what fashion was I criticizing your query? I simply asked a question about your question. 

However, this is an open forum. If you are averse to any perceived criticism, directed towards yourself or anyone else. I suggest you try to be a little less sensitive.

Well then, thank you for finding the time to ask a question about my question.

In response I’ll say I enjoy finding out as much as I can about my travels before I leave - that includes looking at  information and pictures of the ship and the ports, reading reviews and advice, planning how I’ll spend my days and generally building a sense of anticipation. If I sail on RCCL or NCL I know almost exactly what to expect. I don’t know with Celebrity as it’s my first time...and I’m really looking forward to it. 

Yes, the pictures don’t define the taste, the serving temperature, the quality of service or the level of enjoyment. Just as the cabin photos I’ve seen don’t tell me about the quality of the mattress and bedding or the theatre photos about the professionalism of the performers. But, I enjoy the anticipation of all aspects of a cruise. I hope that helps you to understand the reason behind my initial request. 

Any further photos will be gratefully appreciated....regardless of quality. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, hcat said:

Most photos show nicely presented dishes, decent portions although some of the meat  looks very rare....we would have expected sliced duck

Agreed. Especially with duck and chicken, I appreciate pictures as I do not like it with the bone still in, and it would be a rude awakening to order it not realizing and it still have the bone in.

11 hours ago, Carol4158 said:

Hi

I like seeing the photos too because, though you can't taste it, you get a sense of the ingredients (can see what veggies and amount are used, for example), a sense of quality of meat/fish and other ingredients used in dishes, portion size and overall appeal (food preference is a combination of all the senses, including sight). I agree with Ma Bell - the Preismans' link above is my favorite to look at menus and food pictures. Enjoy! 🙂

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ma Bell said:

It's only one indication that someone may use to give them an idea of what to expect. We all have different experiences and tastes so the same can be said for anything that is subjective.

I'm more likely to value the opinion of someone I know because I would have a good idea about their taste level. That being said,  reading reviews and seeing photos can certainly be somewhat helpful to others. If not, they may as well shut down all these kinds of websites or one can always just pass them by.

Here is a link to a frequent Celebrity cruiser. He always provides wonderful photos of the various dining venues a well as a lot more valuable information. Thanks to Mike Preisman,

http://www.thepreismans.com/cruise_reviews.html

Thank you so much for that link. I’ll enjoy looking at it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hcat said:

The meat being rare would have been the request of the diner.You will be given a choice 

20 hours ago, Cat4158 said:

I’ve read numerous comments stating that the food is considered superior and I’ve already seen the daily menus on the app.

You might want to lower your expectations a tad. Superior is a very strong word and many who have cruised multiple mass lines feel they are more similar than different. And quality can very wildly from cruise to cruise.

I hope you have a wonderful trip, I just didn't want you to be disappointment.

• Like 1

OP, I just read all of the posts and I'm sorry that some people can be so mean in their comments.  I've dealt with that in the past and have stayed away from the boards more than I liked.  I've learned to ignore them and decided they don't deserve a response.  I think also that some people don't get that a person can read a different tone into their words than they do, after all we can't "hear" the way they, themselves are reading it.  That's why they are offended that you were offended.  With that being said, it's obvious when someone is being mean.

I think that's why some of us who have been with CC from the beginning are leaving.  It's a shame because there is still a lot of good info here.  I hope this will not keep you away as most people are nice and try to be helpful.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, vickykay said:

I really enjoy Celebrity’s duck ( usually served on one chic night) and always look forward to it.  Wanting to see pictures is part of the planning fun and anticipation!

Glad for the photos. Ordered it once in BLU but it was served sliced, best as I recall. Does not look bad but I prefer it deboned.

Rarely order it on ships..we're from the home of the Long Island Duckling....but I believe only 1 duck farm remains. Our local baseball team is the LI. Ducks!

Thanks for that. After cruising for 20 years I’ve witnessed a decline in food quality and a reduction in the levels of service due to waiters having too many tables and less support. I have happy but distant memories of desserts cooked at the table side, sommeliers and wonderful filet mignon without having to go to a speciality restaurant. 

At least on this cruise all the menus will be new to me and that in itself is something to look forward to. 😀

The DW & I each had 1 clunker meal in the MDR on Equinox in June.  Mine was a piece of Branzino with the skin on that was just not crispy.  Once I removed the skin, the dish was much better.  Hers was the pasta primavera that was almost sauceless and the veggies were merely peas & carrots.  She said it was not horrible, but not up to the standards of everything else we had that week.