Ruby vs Golden

Duffysmom

Golden does have IC. It has a smaller Wheelhouse which is kind of mid-aft rather than forward. It also has some cabins that I don't think are found on any other Princess ship - although I may be wrong about that. Up on deck 15 - Sun Deck - all the way aft there are 6 Premium Suites and 2 Owner's Suites. There are also 2 Premium Ocean View cabins with full length windows. I don't know of any other Princess ships with cabins up on Sun Deck.

Ruby has Club Fusion all the way aft on Promenade Deck and Golden has Vista Lounge. Ruby has Adagio and Share on Sun Deck. Golden doesn't have Adagio or Share and Sabatini's is on Promenade. Golden has Crown Grill mid-forward on Deck 6 (Fiesta) and Ruby has Crown Grill mid-aft on Promenade. There are probably other differences but those are what comes to mind.

Edited by Thrak

Golden is on the way out of the P fleet. Is P really spending money on it? The Ruby has been upgraded to full Medallion.  The layout on the Ruby is our favorite. On a cruise with alot of sea days, Ruby has more public places to find a quiet spot to read (Adagio).  The indoor pool on the Golden could be nice on a trans Pacific.

I have sailed on both ships multiple times.  

Golden had a lot leaky pipes issues and fans going on multiple decks day and night for the whole duration when I was on a transpacific cruise in 2018 - not to mention buckets .  Never saw this on any other Princess ships ever.  You may want to take a look of 2019 reviews to see problems have been fixed. 

I was happy with Ruby Princess when I cruised Hawaii earlier this year - Adagio bar is a great Place to sit on sea days

The Golden has 500 less passengers for the same size ship (well, the Ruby has an extra deck). The Golden also has a covered pool.

The Golden is being transferred within the corporate umbrella. This is different than being sold to another company. It doesn't make sense not to keep it up as a sister company will have it.

Edited by Coral

They are both great ships. A lot of times for me it's always based on the crew who make the experience. there's great crew on both the golden and Ruby. But if I had to choose between both Ruby hands down over the Golden as it is a much newer ship compared to the golden. Making the venuea is a lot nicer. Ruby is bigger than the golden as well. I find the food to actually be better on the Ruby over the Golden.

Golden is leaving the fleet in October 2020.  It is the sister to the Grand and Star with the Star following the Golden in 2021 out of the fleet.  The Ruby is a newer design with added features.  We have sailed both ships several times and will be on the Ruby in April when it returns from Australia to North America for the Alaska season.  I would choose the Ruby over the Golden any day. 

Hi, 

I have cruised on both ships. As discussed above, the ships are similar but the Ruby Princess is newer and holds more passengers. I would choose the Ruby Princess because it has additional features compared to the Golden Princess. 

Chuck

Did both years ago, before we became Regal addicts. I’d choose the Ruby - newer and a few more features. Having said that, the Golden will always have a special place in my heart. It was our very first cruise and turned us into cruising and Princess addicts 🙂. Nothing beats the wide eyed wonder of a first cruise. And I hadn’t yet discovered CC, so the wow factor was even more unexpected. Have a fantastic voyage! 

I have also done both.  I'll take the Golden any day.   500 less passengers and Window Suites.  Vista Lounge may be used to spread out the crowd for entertainment (two shows per night instead of just one in the Princess Theater).  I don't have a need for Medallion.  I prefer less people, especially on sea days when EVERYONE and their uncles have no place to go on the ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have also done both.  I'll take the Golden any day.   500 less passengers and Window Suites.  Vista Lounge may be used to spread out the crowd for entertainment (two shows per night instead of just one in the Princess Theater).  I don't have a need for Medallion.  I prefer less people, especially on sea days when EVERYONE and their uncles have no place to go on the ship.

I will take the Vista Lounge over Club Confusion!