???'s regarding recent UPSELL offers

voljeep

any actual experiences appreciated whether you took the upsell or not ...

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made?

2) asked to respond by call or email ?

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell?

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell

5) direct or thru TA ?

6) number of previous Princess cruises ?

• Like 1

We received an email upsell offer from our Club Class mini to a Penthouse suite on our January 2020 cruise just yesterday.  I called the number listed in the email and left a voice mail as instructed (last evening).  Still waiting for the Princess upsell fairy to return my call.  🙂  I checked the sailing and it appears there are 6 of these suites available.  We booked through a TA, who forwarded the upsell email to us.  If the location of the upsell is to our liking, we'll probably take the offer.  Keeping my fingers crossed!   

• Thanks 1

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made? We are sailing in Jan 2020 and received the offer yesterday and accepted yesterday.

2) asked to respond by call or email ? Email

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell? Plenty of cabins avail, didn't ask about other categories.

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell. Looks like straight to upsell.

5) direct or thru TA ? Direct

6) number of previous Princess cruises ? We are elite

Edited by Stacycee
  • Thanks 1

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made?  We sailed in January 2019 and received the offer on November 1st 2018 and accepted it

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell? Plenty of cabins avail, didn't ask about other categories.

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell. Just an upsell

6) number of previous Princess cruises ?  Eight total at that time

• Thanks 1

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made?  50 days out

2) asked to respond by call or email ?  phone call from Travel Agent, she received an e-mail

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell?  Yes.  Still are, 37 days out.  

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell   Price had dropped

5) direct or thru TA ?   TA

6) number of previous Princess cruises ?  12

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made? Various. From a month out to the last one a few days before leaving (for a downgrade offer}

2) asked to respond by call or email ? Via calling....our travel agent sends us the email and then I just call Princess and it’s faster.  This is one time that Princess  will deal directly with us when we use a travel agent. 
3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell? Usually not 

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell

5) direct or thru TA ?

6) number of previous Princess cruises ? From 5 cruises to 10 plus .... 

I really think it’s just all inventory. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell?

5) direct or thru TA ?

4 days ago I got an upsell offer to go from a deluxe balcony to a Penthouse suite on the Regal for a 5 day cruise. Even with the upsell charge, I'm paying $1,200 less than the regular price of the suite.

1...12 days

2...they sent me an email, but I was instructed to call them back and leave a VM...they then called me back.

3...I don't know, I didn't check. Was working out at the gym when all this was happening! But the rep said that there were only 2 suites available for me to get as an upsell...the one I took (Caribe deck aft) and an accessible one on Riviera deck midship.

4...don't know.  I only booked the cruise 2 days before getting the upsell offer!

5...direct - first time I ever did that! I always use a TA...makes me wonder if that was a factor. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

5) direct or thru TA ?

1.  65 days out
  2. Asked to respond by calling (but had a comment that email and calls would be taken in order received)-I called.
  3. There were many cabins available on the ship, but limited options on the upsell
  4. No recent price drops.  
  5. Booked direct 
  6. 19
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, voljeep said:

5) direct or thru TA ?

1. Approximately 2 months

2. Offer made by email..respond via email. I asked the Princess Rep to call me which happened. 
3. Their were a number of staterooms available. I was only interested in the Caribe deck due to a larger balcony. 
4.  I was not aware of any price drops. 
5.  Email was forwarded by my T/A but I responded directly with Princess. 
6.  19

Additional Information....I was originally booked in an Oceanview cat OZ on a 15 day Panama cruise out of Los Angles. Agreed to a Balcony Stateroom & received category B2 which is considered a Premium Balcony because of its location in the middle of the ship. The cost for this location was $2500 more than what I paid & I paid only $600. 

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made? 69 days and 13 days

2) asked to respond by call or email ? phone call

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell? no

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell? recent price drops

5) direct or thru TA ? first one direct and second one through TA

6) number of previous Princess cruises ? 25

Thanks to all for responding and even additional ones

I'm "awaiting" / hoping for a potential upgrade/upsell on our little 3 day SKY in December

1) now about 45 days out

2) N/A ... yet

3) hundreds, whole sections of floors remain unsold - we're currently in an cat ID aft

4) couple of small price drops - last was a couple of weeks ago - only a $ 20 drop

5) direct

6) 13 cruises, 14 cruise credits

the 3 day added late before our 3 day has even more cabins available ... but that leaves on the Sunday night after Thanksgiving , so not real interested in that ... at this time ... but could be to make it a b2b

We would have liked to book the 3 Day Sky that leaves on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  We are getting off of the Regal that day and could easily hop on it.  But, we both have to work.    Flights are much cheaper if we flew home after that, too.  The Sunday after Thanksgiving is one of the most expensive days to fly

On 10/18/2019 at 8:43 AM, voljeep said:

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made? Day after final payment

2) asked to respond by call or email ? invite by email, asked to call if interested.

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell There were at least half a dozen suites still available. Lots of other cabins available too, though the ship did go out full. I thought the price I was offered was good for a Vista suite, but I was offered a Penthouse suite for the same price.

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the up sell I never saw the price of our original BE cabin go down, but we had booked several months prior and paid what I thought was a ridiculously low price.

5) direct or thru TA ? Direct (first cruise booked direct and first time getting an upsell)

6) number of previous Princess cruises ? This was on cruise #13 with Princess 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made?    Made October 23--sail date January 6

2) asked to respond by call or email ? Call

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell?  Seems like mainly balcony

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell?   two recent price drops

5) direct or thru TA ?  TA but I called directly after email from TA

6) number of previous Princess cruises ? 12

I went from an obstructed ocean view to a balcony of my choice. Got a Caribe with the large balcony.  There was one left when I checked before I called Princess.  Many other decks available.

• Thanks 1

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made?    About 75 days out

2) asked to respond by call or email ? email

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell?  A ton of cabins in all categories,

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell?   No price drops

5) direct or thru TA ?  Booked direct

6) number of previous Princess cruises ? Only 4 but almost always in a Suite

My offer was from Premium Balcony to Regular Mini for +27/pp/day, and I declined. 

If it had been an upsell to CC, i would have taken it!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made? Day after final payment was due.  Cruise is January 2020

2) asked to respond by call or email ? email

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell?  A ton of cabins in all categories,

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell?   No price drops

5) direct or thru TA ?  TA

6) number of previous Princess cruises ? 2 but this is the first of a 21 day B2B

My offer was from inside to balcony for $199 pp for 5 day California coastal.  We declined because that would have been more than the balcony cabin when I first priced out the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

thanks again for the additional replies

has anyone gotten an upgrade / upsell on the SKY, yet ...12/1...12/4... 12/7 (7) day ?

Did you see there was another price drop for 12/1 today? I got excited hoping for 12/4. We will probably finally book it this weekend. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 11:43 AM, voljeep said:

1) How far in advance of sail date was the offer made?  We are 81 days out.

3) where there plenty of cabins available , including other categories not included in the upsell? Yes

4) had there been recent price drops , or did Princess just go straight to the upsell? No recent price drops

6) number of previous Princess cruises ? 1  But there are 11 empty cabins around us and ours is right in the middle.

I just received an upsell offer from a Dolphin Deck DB mid-aft deluxe balcony to an unspecified mini-suite for $129 per person.  This is on the Regal for January 26-February 2nd.  There are some mini-suites available for $107 more than what I paid if I really wanted to upgrade, so I'm declining on this one.  There is still plenty of inventory on this cruise and we are right in the middle of a long line of empty cabins.  There are also quite a few empty cabins above and below us on on Emerald and Caribe decks.  If they don't fill the other cabins, there could be another offer to come.  

• Thanks 1

I answered you in our Dec 4/19 roll call.

Saw several price drops over last month. Lots of cabins open except for suites.

Still many aft balconies available. And lots of obstructed view balconies and a few obstructed view mini suites.

My offer was from balcony midship to a mini suite. They did not say which cabin or category.

$99US PP/$144 CAD PP.

Email offer/respond by email or phone within 24 hrs.

I'm not taking offer since I have a nice midship balcony and from what I can tell I could end up with an obstructed view mini suite.

• Thanks 1

For an upcoming 5-day cruise on Royal Princess departing on November 30::

1) The first upsell offer was received 60 days out and a second one made roughly 30 days out.

2) Response was by phone only.

3) Did not take the offer, so can't answer this.  Looking at the sailing I do see that mini-suites and full suites are sold out, but interior and balconies are still available.

4) Current prices on this sailing are similar to what I paid when I booked, although I think I got this pretty cheap initially.

5) Booked through a Princess vacation planner

6) This will be my 13th cruise, although I've done several of them in a solo cabin so Princess shows it as my 16th.

Edited by Vexorg
  • Thanks 1