Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

49 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Yes, "shark barriers" have been installed surrounding all the beaches as well as the lagoon entrances.

Bret

Interesting.  Do you know if any of the other cruise line private islands also have shark barriers?

I can take a stab at this since I'm the one that opened the shark tank, but please be advised this is just my best guess based on following Bimini social media :).

I am unaware of any other private island that has shark barriers around the whole island. While sharks are absolutely found everywhere (especially in the bahamas), Bimini is especially known for exceptional shark viewing. In fact, I believe it is ranked 5th place in the world for viewing shark species. I believe the diversity has to do with proximity to the gulf stream. My guess is that other islands have more of a protected natural barrier against sharks, but since Ocean Cay was man made, the barrier is absent???

Also, several dive operations actually bait shark to provide cage encounter experiences. The best I can tell is that the place they bait is very close to ocean cay. In particular, Bull run has been mentioned many times. I can't pin point the exact location of Bull run, but it's got to be very close to Ocean Cay based on info from social media. Here is some info on bull run:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147426-d149581-Reviews-Bimini_Bull_Run-Bimini_Out_Islands_Bahamas.html#REVIEWS

Red Circle is Bimini (and Ocean Cay)

Blue arrow is portion of the gulf stream. 

image.png.3383b8004c1e187dd5656114b2561e10.png

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just catching up today, but has everyone seen the list of excursions for ocean cay posted on social media? Apparently they were delivered today. That sure does make it seem like Ocean Cay is a go for Thursday!! I am possibly more excited than those on-board. 🙂

No I haven't seen them. Where can I find them?

I have been following this because my husband and I were booked on a cruise for this month, with the specific desire to go see Ocean Cay.  We have cruised a lot, been to many Caribbean Islands, and seeing the private islands is part of the fun for us.  We cancelled and will rebook for later next fall, with the hope that all things run smoothly by then.  

Until then, I am learning so much from all of you, and one of my worries was the shark situation in that area of the Bahamas.  I am thrilled to read that there will be a shark net.  Yes, I know sharks are in the ocean and we just visit their home, but I have a fear and knowledge of a net will help me relax.

There was a question as to which other line has a net around the island.  Disney Cruise Line does (we are friends with some former cruise line cast and also learned all about it on travel agent sessions back in the day)!  It is only around the family beach, not the adult beach.  The adult beach is on the other side of the island and it is left to look like an actual, natural Bahamian beach.

The family beach is regularly inspected for any holes and wiggle-in spots for the sharks, and the swimming area is regularly swum and explored by the live-on-island castmembers.  There have been barracudas in the family beach swimming area, but unless too large or aggressive, they are left alone.  That net, however, is what encourages me to snorkel without a pounding heart and darting eyes in all directions!  I am so glad MSC will be doing the same!

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

WOO HOO........... we have confirmation that December 5th is the first stop!!! This was just posted on social media (HUGE thanks to the author!!). There was a meeting about OC and YC yesterday and here are her notes:

image.png.717df243f33b2648fd90d29bd11f6f3a.png

Yes!! A month until we stop there but really glad to hear about tomorrow!! :-)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I'm sure we will see lots of photos after the ship arrives at OC tomorrow.

IKR? SOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo excited.

Before anyone starts to complain about umbrella's not being offered in YC complimentary (you must rent), my best guess is that MSC will revise this policy (like they revised offering a free buffet at OC). 🙂

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Before anyone starts to complain about umbrella's not being offered in YC complimentary (you must rent), my best guess is that MSC will revise this policy (like they revised offering a free buffet at OC). 🙂

Heck, I wish I could rent an umbrella on the Seaside at the YC pool LOL!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

IKR? SOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo excited.

I already complained on the other thread.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

I already complained on the other thread.

Totally understandable. I think all of us who sail MSC get frustrated with the inconsistent policies at times. As bret affectionately states, MSC stands for Most Surely Change :). I am hopeful this policy  will also change. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Per *****: Current position of MSC Divina: Under way from Costa Maya to Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve

• Departure was 1 d 14 hrs 5 min ago. (at 18:00 h local time)
  • Arrival will be in 55 min. (at 09:00 h local time)
  • Traveled distance since Costa Maya: 610.40 nm (1,130.46 km)
  • Remaining distance to Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve: 9.21 nm (17.05 km)

Looks like they are really going there.  Not to much excitement on the boards.  I am pumped.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LadyVol1 said:

2 stingrays enjoying Lighthouse Bay. The shark netting must be the bright yellow netlike thing between the Lighthouse Bay sand and the ship. 

LadyVol1: you will forever be my Ocean cay hero. Can't thank you enough for sharing these photos!!!!! Seriously, you have no idea how much I am appreciative of your posts!!!