Flying Overseas with Food

PJEBP

I want to take with me on my cruise some protein powder and bars and some chia and flax seeds and some oats. I am flying from California to Barcelona. Does anyone know (or know where I could find out) if I am allowed to bring these food items into Spain? I will be there 6 nights before my cruise departs.

I have not personally been to Spain but I have recently entered several other countries, Italy, Switzerland, France etc. I have never been asked to declare any items food or otherwise when entering any country other than when I returned to the US. 

https://www.spain.info/en_US/informacion-practica/consejos-viaje/consejos-practicos/requisitos/

@alwysonvctn I can't remember the particular item(s) when going from Argentina to Chile (or from other countries?) but I remember there was/were.  Our guide just said, don't lie.  And at OP Barcelona is a VERY sophisticated city so I can't believe you'd have any trouble buying things there.  Have a great time.  It's got some of the best food in the world!

Even if they don't ask, if you get caught, it might not be good for you.

Many protein powders are whey based, which is a milk product.

I would just buy when you get there.  And yes, you can find protein powder.  Probably in the supermarket.

That said, the only place I have been that was very strict was Australia.  Where almost any food product was banned.  I was just transiting, but had to have a chat with customs lady.  When I explained that I was transiting (but I did have a domestic AU flight), she asked where I was going.  I told her Papua New Guinea.  She said, "Oh, I understand, no problem." 😄

I think I’d be surprised if all of these things could be bought at the same supermarket in Barcelona, even the very impressive El Corte Inglés.  I live in the UK part time and Italy part time, and I can’t find all of these things in the same supermarket In either country, so Spain might also be a challenge.  Rolled oats are easy in the UK, but very difficult in Italy.  I have seen them in some health food shops and Asian supermarkets in Italy. I see chia seeds available in some but not all supermarkets in the UK, and I haven’t seen them at all in Italy.  I think I’d plan to buy the whey protein powder in Spain, but bring the grains/seeds with me, since it appears from the link that they are not prohibited.

Edited by lisiamc

All of the items mentioned can be brought into Europe,  especially for personal use. Customs checks are virtually unknown, unless you are travelling from certain countries where drugs or cheap cigarettes are widely available.

On 10/21/2019 at 10:01 AM, SRF said:

That said, the only place I have been that was very strict was Australia.  Where almost any food product was banned.  I was just transiting, but had to have a chat with customs lady.  When I explained that I was transiting (but I did have a domestic AU flight), she asked where I was going.  I told her Papua New Guinea.  She said, "Oh, I understand, no problem." 😄

Australia is strict, but not overly so. I bring packaged food in to Australia a lot, but you just need to declare it. Fresh veg/fruit and homemade foods are of course not allowed, but most packaged stuff is...they just see that I have declared it, ask me what it is, and send me on my way. Just adds a few seconds to the customs formalities. 

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in

Edited by Zach1213

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

If your items are PRE=packaged and sealed, they should be fine.  Almost every country has restrictions on plants/veggies, meats and some cheeses.  But, if it's factory packed, it's fine.

Not completely true.  A number of countries have restrictions on even packaged food.  So to simply assume that all will be well is not providing good advice.  Best to check with the specific country and be prepared to have to throw away things.

Remember...it's whatever the immigration and customs folks say at any particular time.  And guess who gets to make and enforce those rules.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not completely true.  A number of countries have restrictions on even packaged food.  So to simply assume that all will be well is not providing good advice.  Best to check with the specific country and be prepared to have to throw away things.

Remember...it's whatever the immigration and customs folks say at any particular time.  And guess who gets to make and enforce those rules.

I no longer remember the particular food(s) but there were some that weren't allowed when we were traveling by land from Argentina to Chile.  And, yes, those folks may be wrong but they're still the bosses.  I wouldn't mind if a single item got confiscated but I'd hate to assume that a whole supply of stuff was going to make it and then it didn't.