NCL to HAL?

napper777

We've done 30 plus NCL cruises and consider ourselves "loyalists."  We've also had a couple of lackluster, to say the least, cruises on the Bliss in the last 6 months that has us considering HAL.  Would really appreciate feedback for those of you who've experienced HAL. Anything/everything would be helpful. I know it's all subjective but I have been able to trust the posters I've read here. How does NCL compare with HAL? Service, food, dining experience, entertainment, general milieu, etc. Eagerly awaiting your thoughts!

You will feel more connected to the water on HAL. Good promenade around ship except for Koningsdam.

HAL will serve food to you first few days in buffet area to help with virus spreading.

I think HAL is a bit less of drinking ship as well.

They are improving and expanding music venues as well. Deck space is still good ratio too. No laser or cars on top deck.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

A number of former Norwegian staff members are currently serving in the HAL fleet.

I've heard! Was hoping I might get lucky and find some of them. I've missed the feeling of "family" NCL use to have. 

13 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

A number of former Norwegian staff members are currently serving in the HAL fleet.

I've heard! Was hoping I might get lucky and find some of them. I've missed the feeling of "family" NCL use to have. 

Just now, davy jones said:

I don't know what is important to you.  If the water slides, etc. do not interest you, you might want to give them a try.  We are.

I can't answer your question now, but will be able to answer from my perspective after Thanksgiving. 

Thanks Davy. The bells and whistles of slides, race tracks, laser tag etc are  not important to us. We're more into good food, great service, nightly shows and relaxation. Ill watch for your review after thanksgiving. 

OP: my wife and I are also NCL "fans" (the Jewel-class ships, no interest in the mega-ships); we took our first cruise on HAL in the summer of 2018, the 20-day Viking Passage aboard the Zuiderdam.  HAL has some very interesting and unique itineraries, which is what drew us to HAL in the first place. 

With the caveat that it's always hard to compare cruise lines because you also need to compare ships, I will say that we found the food and service in the MDR on the Zuiderdam to be superior to anything we've experienced in any MDR on NCL.   By contract, we've enjoyed the buffets on NCL more than we did on HAL (although we did like the fact that most of the food in the buffet on HAL is not self-serve).  It wasn't so much that the food quality in the HAL buffet was lacking, it wasn't, but that there was so little variety during dinner.  (On a 20-night cruise, we simply can't do sit down/be served dining every night).  There was one station called "Distant Lands" that only served Italian food! 

There are few options for  specialty dining on the Zuiderdam, so our dining options were very limited if we wanted to skip the MDR for a night.

We did not go to any production shows on the Zuiderdam, but HAL may be doing away with those now anyway. You'll want to research that.  In terms of other entertainment, HAL is totally committed to BB King Blues (not our cup of tea), Billboard Onboard Piano duo, and Lincoln Center Center Stage (quintet of musicians).  We enjoyed Billboard Onboard and Lincoln Center Stage, but their repertoires -- all set by people shoreside  -- were limited and thus repeated frequently.

I think the "vibe" and "culture" on HAL are very different from NCL.  To me, it's really an apples and oranges comparison.  The Zuiderdam, btw, is a classic ship with a promenade deck, a wonderful observation lounge, and a bow that the Captain opened to everyone for sailaways and sail-ins.   As I said, that's our only experience on HAL so far. 

In case this is of any help to you, here's the link to the review that I posted on the HAL board with our thoughts on our first HAL cruise:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, napper777 said:

Thanks Davy. The bells and whistles of slides, race tracks, laser tag etc are  not important to us. We're more into good food, great service, nightly shows and relaxation. Ill watch for your review after thanksgiving. 

We were on HAL in February. Food and service are similar to NCL, certainly not any better. The MDR was so bad, with slow service that we opted to eat in the buffet 8 nights out of 11, but the menu was the same. Shows are worse than NCL, but the ship does have much better places to relax than NCL.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

Sailed the old retired Noordam and Veendam.  We choose to sail HAL when it comes to itinerary. The food is great and service is also very good. Your fellow cruisers will be older and the ships will lack that upbeat party atmosphere. They are a more defined, laid back, classic style of cruising compared to the Bliss for example which we have also sailed.  

• Like 1

I took my first cruise with HAL on the Westerdam in June for our Alaskan trip.  I was blown away by the food and service on the ship.  In my opinion the only category that NCL beat HAL was evening entertainment in the theater.  By the way, the theater seating on the HAL Westerdam was so much more comfortable than the NCL theater seats.  Entertainment in the lounges was equal to or better than NCL.

I thought the food served in the MDR on our HAL cruise beat the heck out of NCL. On our HAL cruise, the Gala Night menu in the MDR included Surf and Turf which was a filet mignon and a lobster tail.  You read that right, lobster tail.  Service in the MDR was much faster than what we've experience on recent NCL cruises.  HAL also offered high tea in the afternoon in the MDR which really added a touch of class to the cruise.

The NCL latitudes party pales in comparison to the Mariner Society Lunch.  During the Mariners lunch everyone was given a gift of appreciation and the Captain of the ship personally came down and addressed the diners and thanked them for cruising with HAL.  The entire crew was always smiling and seemed to be very happy to be of service to you.  That hasn't always been the case on my recent NCL cruises.

I'm 74 years old so I don't care about rope courses, water slides, climbing walls, etc.  For me class, style, and service are more important and HAL excelled in those categories.  I also liked the fact that HAL offered anytime dining which we had chosen and we never had to wait to be seated.  We were on the HAL Westerdam which has less than 2000 passenger capacity so the ship never felt crowded.

I was so impressed with our cruise on the Westerdam that I am looking forward to taking future cruises with HAL.  NCL has become too much of a floating hotel with an adult playground while HAL still offers classic style cruising.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

OP: my wife and I are also NCL "fans" (the Jewel-class ships, no interest in the mega-ships); we took our first cruise on HAL in the summer of 2018, the 20-day Viking Passage aboard the Zuiderdam.  HAL has some very interesting and unique itineraries, which is what drew us to HAL in the first place. 

With the caveat that it's always hard to compare cruise lines because you also need to compare ships, I will say that we found the food and service in the MDR on the Zuiderdam to be superior to anything we've experienced in any MDR on NCL.   By contract, we've enjoyed the buffets on NCL more than we did on HAL (although we did like the fact that most of the food in the buffet on HAL is not self-serve).  It wasn't so much that the food quality in the HAL buffet was lacking, it wasn't, but that there was so little variety during dinner.  (On a 20-night cruise, we simply can't do sit down/be served dining every night).  There was one station called "Distant Lands" that only served Italian food! 

There are few options for  specialty dining on the Zuiderdam, so our dining options were very limited if we wanted to skip the MDR for a night.

We did not go to any production shows on the Zuiderdam, but HAL may be doing away with those now anyway. You'll want to research that.  In terms of other entertainment, HAL is totally committed to BB King Blues (not our cup of tea), Billboard Onboard Piano duo, and Lincoln Center Center Stage (quintet of musicians).  We enjoyed Billboard Onboard and Lincoln Center Stage, but their repertoires -- all set by people shoreside  -- were limited and thus repeated frequently.

I think the "vibe" and "culture" on HAL are very different from NCL.  To me, it's really an apples and oranges comparison.  The Zuiderdam, btw, is a classic ship with a promenade deck, a wonderful observation lounge, and a bow that the Captain opened to everyone for sailaways and sail-ins.   As I said, that's our only experience on HAL so far. 

In case this is of any help to you, here's the link to the review that I posted on the HAL board with our thoughts on our first HAL cruise:

Thanks so much for the info. Great review! And beautiful photos!!! Your input is helping in my decision making.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I took my first cruise with HAL on the Westerdam in June for our Alaskan trip.  I was blown away by the food and service on the ship.  In my opinion the only category that NCL beat HAL was evening entertainment in the theater.  By the way, the theater seating on the HAL Westerdam was so much more comfortable than the NCL theater seats.  Entertainment in the lounges was equal to or better than NCL.

I thought the food served in the MDR on our HAL cruise beat the heck out of NCL. On our HAL cruise, the Gala Night menu in the MDR included Surf and Turf which was a filet mignon and a lobster tail.  You read that right, lobster tail.  Service in the MDR was much faster than what we've experience on recent NCL cruises.  HAL also offered high tea in the afternoon in the MDR which really added a touch of class to the cruise.

The NCL latitudes party pales in comparison to the Mariner Society Lunch.  During the Mariners lunch everyone was given a gift of appreciation and the Captain of the ship personally came down and addressed the diners and thanked them for cruising with HAL.  The entire crew was always smiling and seemed to be very happy to be of service to you.  That hasn't always been the case on my recent NCL cruises.

I'm 74 years old so I don't care about rope courses, water slides, climbing walls, etc.  For me class, style, and service are more important and HAL excelled in those categories.  I also liked the fact that HAL offered anytime dining which we had chosen and we never had to wait to be seated.  We were on the HAL Westerdam which has less than 2000 passenger capacity so the ship never felt crowded.

I was so impressed with our cruise on the Westerdam that I am looking forward to taking future cruises with HAL.  NCL has become too much of a floating hotel with an adult playground while HAL still offers classic style cruising.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough information. I really appreciate it and am absorbing all of it in my decision which is looking more and more like I'll be taking the leap to try it!

HAL is the cruise line of OLD people.  I live in Seattle and have been on many of their ships.  I have to agree with the fact that they have really good food, but that's where my applause for them ends.  If you are under 50, and desire entertainment later than 10 pm, this in not the cruise line for you. And much of the quality entertainment they used to offer is nowhere to be found these days. The last cruise I took they had a subpar dance troupe who used laser lights to supplement their show. It was just ok.  
The only thing HAL has going is their itineraries. 

12 hours ago, napper777 said:

We've done 30 plus NCL cruises and consider ourselves "loyalists."  We've also had a couple of lackluster, to say the least, cruises on the Bliss in the last 6 months that has us considering HAL.  Would really appreciate feedback for those of you who've experienced HAL. Anything/everything would be helpful. I know it's all subjective but I have been able to trust the posters I've read here. How does NCL compare with HAL? Service, food, dining experience, entertainment, general milieu, etc. Eagerly awaiting your thoughts!

I'm not loyalist....to any cruise line.  I pick the cruise line that goes when I can go to the best itinerary.  That end's up being some cruises on about all the major lines.  Carnival/RoyalNCL the most.  I've been on two HAL cruises lately.  Latest one was on the Rotterdam this past spring.  I'll post a link to my review at the bottom of this post....it might help you.  Below is my opinion answering some of your questions.

1. Service- Overall I'd say HAL is better than average.  "Sevice" is a broad term.  Bar service isn't what it should be in some areas and Is excellent in others.  In the buffet, they take your drink order and bring you your drinks.  Tables are generally cleared quickly.  Usually an empty table is easy to find.  Restrooms have actual cloth towels to dry your hands, a nice touch.  PILES of elevators!!  I believe they all have three elevator banks.

2. Food/dining experience- Overall I'd have to say a couple of notches above average.  Food/service/dining experience is definitely better than average.  Probably better than anything this side of Celebrity's Luminae.  24 hour room service is no extra charge for most items.  ALSO...you may order from the MDR dinner menu and have it delivered to your cabin, no extra charge.  There won't be the variety of "specially" restaurants as on NCL but for sure the quality is there.

3. Entertainment- Royal Caribbean is #1. VAST choices.  HAL IS going to be down the list on amount and variety of entertainment but what they DO have is GOOD!  My last cruise they literally had a string quartet and they were AWESOME!  BB King is great.  

4. Misc- It's a quieter cruise!  RARELY any announcements!  Average age of your fellow cruiser is going to be older.  If you have to be constantly entertained, prob not your best choice.  If you are a big partier, probably not your best choice.  I really liked that aspect myself!   Most ships are much smaller....easier to get around AND get on and off.  RARELY an issue finding a couple of empty deck chairs.  

I hope some of this is helpful to you!

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

HAL is the cruise line of OLD people.  I live in Seattle and have been on many of their ships.  I have to agree with the fact that they have really good food, but that's where my applause for them ends.  If you are under 50, and desire entertainment later than 10 pm, this in not the cruise line for you. And much of the quality entertainment they used to offer is nowhere to be found these days. The last cruise I took they had a subpar dance troupe who used laser lights to supplement their show. It was just ok.  

Thanks for your opinion! Agree that their itineraries seem unique 

Love HAL very nice cabin, staff and food ..speciatlies are amazing as is MDR ...well decorated loved Koningsdam and Eurodam ...back pools over wake tables and chairs quiet ...perfect 

excellentservice ..I really like HAL 

mich 

• Like 1

HAL ships have no water slides, go carts or rock climbing wall.  It is  a cruise ship.  Lovely areas all over the ship.  We call it the blue hair cruise line as people are elderly but we don't mind  as we love older people.  I believe older people are better behaved.  No seat saving, lounge saving or drunks.  Food is great,  much better than NCL in my opinion.  Service is also a step above NCL.  We still cruise NCL often and enjoy them as well.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

1. Service- Overall I'd say HAL is better than average.  "Sevice" is a broad term.  Bar service isn't what it should be in some areas and Is excellent in others.  In the buffet, they take your drink order and bring you your drinks.  Tables are generally cleared quickly.  Usually an empty table is easy to find.  Restrooms have actual cloth towels to dry your hands, a nice touch.  PILES of elevators!!  I believe they all have three elevator banks.

2. Food/dining experience- Overall I'd have to say a couple of notches above average.  Food/service/dining experience is definitely better than average.  Probably better than anything this side of Celebrity's Luminae.  24 hour room service is no extra charge for most items.  ALSO...you may order from the MDR dinner menu and have it delivered to your cabin, no extra charge.  There won't be the variety of "specially" restaurants as on NCL but for sure the quality is there.

Yes, elevators were not an issue on the Westerdam.  The Westerdam had a total of 14 elevators, 4 at the front, 4 at the rear, and six elevators mid-ship four of which were glass walled and went up the outside of the ship.  With so few passengers and so many elevators it made embarkation and debarkation easy.

Room service is something else I forgot to mention.  Free and available 24/7 which came in handy the day we cruised Glacier Bay National Park.  We didn't miss a thing.

I did a review of our Alaskan cruise but I'm not going to post a link because the photos I posted with that review have disappeared.  The photo hosting website that I used closed their doors.  I'm still bummed about that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Yes, and they used to be know as the smokers cruise line, since until a couple of years ago, you could still smoke on your balcony.  I remember meeting a large group of HAL passengers on the bus at Denali, Alaska a couple of years ago.  You could smell the cigarette smoke on their clothing.  Had to endure that all day on the bus.

21 hours ago, napper777 said:

Without reading all the responses I am going to give you mine: We are certainly NCL loyalist and are sad to say our cruising days have come to an end. With that I will give my opinions of HAL. The 2 lines are as different as night and day. We love HAL for different reasons. It is a bit, or a lot more formal. The service not as friendly but again outstanding and the food is better or it was on HAL. I love NCL food for many reasons but true quality HAL can not be beat Cabins are larger on HAL We enjoy the lectures, etc on sea days. Now the downside which has to be considered: if you are under 60 or even 65 or so you will be in the minority. The nightlife is pretty dull and the casinos are not jumping or even much fun on HAL. You will the passengers not as friendly either. They are not unfriendly but just not as casual as NCL> I think the best word I can think of the describe HAL compared to other lines: it is more subdued. One more thing: the entertainment, regardless what you like is better, much better on NCL  

You talk about a couple of Bliss cruises that have been just so/so. We prefer the mid sized ships over the mega ships. 

Hope this helps you a little. I have to be honest, even though we like both lines unless you do want to experience the quietness and less exciting adventure I think I would try another line, maybe Celebrity. It is good to experience a variety of lines.     

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

Yes, and they used to be know as the smokers cruise line, since until a couple of years ago, you could still smoke on your balcony.  I remember meeting a large group of HAL passengers on the bus at Denali, Alaska a couple of years ago.  You could smell the cigarette smoke on their clothing.  Had to endure that all day on the bus.

"Used to be" being the operative language here.  I've read your Alaska bus story so many times on here since HAL banned smoking I probably know it by heart.  But of what relevance is it now?   HAL banned smoking on its balconies nearly three years ago, and in many of its casinos as well -- unlike NCL, where you need an oxygen mask just to walk through the casinos.  The interior of the HAL Zuiderdam was completely smoke free, and it was wonderful, unlike NCL ships.  On my 20-day HAL cruise, I spent a great deal of time in close quarters with many other guests on shore excursions, private and ship-sponsored, and I did not smell smoke on anyone. 

Do you think guests on NCL ships don't smoke?  The only ships I have ever been on where other guests were smoking on their balconies in violation of the rules were NCL ships.  

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

"Used to be" being the operative language here.  I've read your Alaska bus story so many times on here since HAL banned smoking I probably know it by heart.  But of what relevance is it now?   HAL banned smoking on its balconies nearly three years ago, and in many of its casinos as well -- unlike NCL, where you need an oxygen mask just to walk through the casinos.  The interior of the HAL Zuiderdam was completely smoke free, and it was wonderful, unlike NCL ships.  On my 20-day HAL cruise, I spent a great deal of time in close quarters with many other guests on shore excursions, private and ship-sponsored, and I did not smell smoke on anyone. 

Do you think guests on NCL ships don't smoke?  The only ships I have ever been on where other guests were smoking on their balconies in violation of the rules were NCL ships.  

Good points, to their credit HAL changed their awful smoking policy, although I understand on some HAL ships smoking is allowed in casinos.   I do compare HAL's itinerary and prices when I look at cruises, which I didn't do in the past.  Still, I must admit that my experience in Denali still colors my feelings toward HAL.  Perhaps I will give them a try if I find they offer the best deal.

Regarding NCL, I do agree that I do not like NCL's policy of smoking in the casinos.  Since I don't gamble, I try to avoid passing through any casinos.  However, occasionally, we might be in a bar near the entrance to a casino, which usually results in us leaving that area.

• Like 1