"Taste of Royal" Lunch Experience

bob brown

I am curious of what the RCI partisans think of this latest creation to raise on board revenue?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4704/

Note that having a specialty dining package or drink package (except for a small discount), is not applicable to this $54.99, (plus $19.99), "Experience"...

Edited by bob brown

5 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I am curious of what the RCI partisans think of this latest creation to raise on board revenue?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4704/

Note that having a specialty dining package or drink package (except for a small discount), is not applicable to this $54.99 "Experience"...

Although the menu seems like items worth trying, $60 is really pricey (Plus additional $$$  for wine pairings).

• Like 1

You would think that they would at least sell this at a discounted price to people who have already bought the unlimited dining package, considering that those people would have to relinquish the lunch included with the package in order to purchase this.

19 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Doubt it will catch on at that price.

I have to agree.   I have experience similar "Taste of...'  events in various cities, and in those cases, you usually get a bargain prix fixe meal from participating restaurant's, in order to entice you to become regular customer's.

In this case, it seems just the opposite... you are paying more than the regular price.

I will be interesting to see how long it lasts, or if they adjust the price....

• Like 3

I'm sure we could come up with better packages for them to sell. And any of them could be upgraded with a $20 wine sampling.

Also they should add wine sampling options to the behind the scenes tours. Stroll through the galley with your glass. Toast the captain. Etc. Only $20 pp.

22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The same ones who'll pay $1000+ for a cabana at CocoCay.

I am not sure what cabanas at Coco Cay cost because my wife and my next cruise goes to Labadee instead.  However, as of today, cabanas at Labadee are available for between $395 and $579, depending on location.  They also rent beach bungalows at $264, but those are sold out.  (Does anyone know what the difference between a cabana and a beach bungalow is?) Those prices seem high but are in-line with what other cruise lines charge for cabanas; cabanas at Disney's Castaway Cay cost more than that.  However, it is hard to imagine spending $1,000 for a cabana and $55 for lunch also seems out-of-line.  Still, that $55 per person might be in line with the $89 cost for Christmas Eve dinner at Chops.  Does a cabana at Coco Cay really cost more that a cabana at Labadee and, if so, does anyone know why?

Edited by actuarian

Haven't been on RCI for over a year...

Does RCI also have one of those "pay for perks" type package's, similar to Carnival's "First to the Fun", where you pay extra to get some of the perks of suite guests?  I believe NCL, and HAL, and some other's,  also have something similar...

7 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Does RCI also have one of those "pay for perks" type package's, similar to Carnival's "First to the Fun", where you pay extra to get some of the perks of suite guests?

RCI calls it Key, available in the planner.

45 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Haven't been on RCI for over a year...

Does RCI also have one of those "pay for perks" type package's, similar to Carnival's "First to the Fun", where you pay extra to get some of the perks of suite guests?  I believe NCL, and HAL, and some other's,  also have something similar...

Lots of info here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2601591-new-program-called-the-key/?do=findComment&comment=56115091

One difference from the other cruise lines may be that Royal charges per day for this program.  If you don't want internet access, this program has much less value.

As the local cynic I must ask; where would this be held?  In the MDR I would imagine.  Those willing to spend the money...will they appreciate being in the same room as the "free" MDR lunch?  Or would the seaday MDR lunch simply disappear altogether? 

As to the idea of a fixed menu of samples from a variety of restaurants...I would say it is a good idea at $15-25 per person for a lunch to allow people a taste of the menus and entice them for more (make dinner bookings).  I would say the more options, the better.  Whether I participate or not I still recognize additional options *if* they don't take away from what is already included.  But $55 per person for lunch...I mean come on...