Just off Magic

Countrygurl

After cruising RCI last year, we went back to Carnival with a cruise on the Magic to St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk.  After having cruised Spirit, Conquest, Glory, Vista and RCI Adventure, I think the Magic is my new favorite ship.

While I won’t write a full review, I will say we enjoyed the size and layout of the ship.  Guys burgers and bar-be-que did not disappoint.  The other food was just ok.  Not real good, not bad.

We noticed that personal service has slacked a bit in the 2 years since we’d sailed Carnival.  While it did not in any way negatively affect our enjoyment of the cruise, basically if you wanted a drink you were going to stand at the bar for it.  Wait service in Ocean Plaza, Red Frog Pub, and atrium was non existent.  Also a noticeable lack of personal service with our room attendant.  Poor Patrick just seemed to have so many cabins to take care of, we just left him to his duties and tried not to put anything additional on him.  He gets an A+ for keeping us clean and stocked with ice.  

Overall a great cruise.  We enjoyed the ship and the itinerary.  Happy to be back to Carnival but will sail RCI on occasion depending on itinerary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We also sailed RC last year and beginning of this year and then sailed on Victory a few weeks ago and boy did we miss Carnival! Just the overall fun atmosphere was definitely a welcome home lol We are sailing on Magic for NYE and again in May for the Blackjack tournament and haven't sailed Magic before so can't wait! Looking forward to enjoying the different options. We sailed on Vista last July and enjoyed the layout, although I kept getting lost LOL I just watched a YT video on Magic and it looks like a cross between Vista and the smaller class (Glory and Liberty?) Did you find it easy to navigate and how were the crowds in the eating areas like Lido? Just curious 🙂

• Like 2

We went on the Magic (our first Carnival Cruise and our 2nd cruise overall) in July and we loved it so much we booked it again within a few weeks of getting back! We will be taking our kids this time. It was the perfect size and had just enough to do.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, carnivaladdix120 said:

We also sailed RC last year and beginning of this year and then sailed on Victory a few weeks ago and boy did we miss Carnival! Just the overall fun atmosphere was definitely a welcome home lol We are sailing on Magic for NYE and again in May for the Blackjack tournament and haven't sailed Magic before so can't wait! Looking forward to enjoying the different options. We sailed on Vista last July and enjoyed the layout, although I kept getting lost LOL I just watched a YT video on Magic and it looks like a cross between Vista and the smaller class (Glory and Liberty?) Did you find it easy to navigate and how were the crowds in the eating areas like Lido? Just curious 🙂

Vista was too big for us.  I got turned around on the Magic at times, but overall loved the size.  Lido was busy.  Not gonna lie.  But nowhere as busy as on the Vista.  I can’t wait to sail her again.  You will enjoy her!

4 hours ago, Countrygurl said:

Vista was too big for us.  I got turned around on the Magic at times, but overall loved the size.  Lido was busy.  Not gonna lie.  But nowhere as busy as on the Vista.  I can’t wait to sail her again.  You will enjoy her!

I would consider another cruise on Vista if size was your biggest concern. Magic is 130,000 GT, while Vista is 133,500 GT. So size wise Vista is just slightly larger than Magic. I am not a big fan of the Vista class ships, but I didn’t find Vista or Horizon to be significantly more crowded than Magic or Breeze, with the exception of the theaters/lounges. 

• Like 1

Just off the Magic today as well. Great cruise as always. I am pretty go with the flow and never have complaints. I agree with the other food options being just ok. I have noticed this in the last 2 years. Something to add but I wouldn't get any internet package. If the whole family goes we don't get it but did invest in the social plan to keep in touch with our oldest at home this time. Even those with premium said it was horrible. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Countrygurl said:

After cruising RCI last year, we went back to Carnival with a cruise on the Magic to St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk.  After having cruised Spirit, Conquest, Glory, Vista and RCI Adventure, I think the Magic is my new favorite ship.

While I won’t write a full review, I will say we enjoyed the size and layout of the ship.  Guys burgers and bar-be-que did not disappoint.  The other food was just ok.  Not real good, not bad.

We noticed that personal service has slacked a bit in the 2 years since we’d sailed Carnival.  While it did not in any way negatively affect our enjoyment of the cruise, basically if you wanted a drink you were going to stand at the bar for it.  Wait service in Ocean Plaza, Red Frog Pub, and atrium was non existent.  Also a noticeable lack of personal service with our room attendant.  Poor Patrick just seemed to have so many cabins to take care of, we just left him to his duties and tried not to put anything additional on him.  He gets an A+ for keeping us clean and stocked with ice.  

Overall a great cruise.  We enjoyed the ship and the itinerary.  Happy to be back to Carnival but will sail RCI on occasion depending on itinerary.

Also just returned from the Halloween cruise. I just did a full review and it will not post for a few days. I totally agree. Just a few on the food. We do not do dining for reasons. The buffet was as usual below average. However the deli was excellent. The steak house was also excellent as usual. No other cruise line has the steak Carnival offers. Superb. We also tried the at sea brunch, had the steak and eggs. Excellent. Very few things not to like. The ship was nice and kept up and clean. As you say. Layout was nice. Our room attendant. not so great. Overall. A great cruise.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Countrygurl said:

Magic and Vista are nearly the same size...

• Like 1

We too have cruised on RCL, and agree that Carnival has more of a "fun" vibe. We wI'll be on the Magic with friends at the end of Feb., and can't wait! It looks like such a beautiful ship, and since Keywest1 and her family have been on it before, I'm hoping she will guide me in the right direction I get turned around. 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikenbon said:

We too have cruised on RCL, and agree that Carnival has more of a "fun" vibe. We wI'll be on the Magic with friends at the end of Feb., and can't wait! It looks like such a beautiful ship, and since Keywest1 and her family have been on it before, I'm hoping she will guide me in the right direction I get turned around. 😉

So looking forward to our cruise!!

• Like 2

On 11/3/2019 at 9:16 AM, Countrygurl said:

We noticed that personal service has slacked a bit in the 2 years since we’d sailed Carnival.  While it did not in any way negatively affect our enjoyment of the cruise, basically if you wanted a drink you were going to stand at the bar for it.  Wait service in Ocean Plaza, Red Frog Pub, and atrium was non existent.   

Thanks for the review.  

I've noticed this as well lately on Carnival.  Basically bar service has become self service.  I think all the drink packages have something to do with it.  More people ordering drinks but the same amount of bar servers and bartenders.  

7 hours ago, eroller said:

Thanks for the review.  

I've noticed this as well lately on Carnival.  Basically bar service has become self service.  I think all the drink packages have something to do with it.  More people ordering drinks but the same amount of bar servers and bartenders.  

We always get bottomless bubbles, and the wait time at the bar to get served a soda has turned into a time-consuming event almost every time.  Now that Conquest has moved to Miami, we are sailing on Magic from FLL for the first time in January, and can't wait!

We are on the Magic in April. First time on this ship. The only thing Im not looking forward to is Lido. We sailed the Breeze a few years back and you couldnt get near the pools or hot tubs and looking at the cloudy water, we really didnt want to! Normally we like to spend sea days on Lido and get in the pool a few times just to cool off. Most likely wont be happening this trip/this ship.

I booked the Magic for Nov 2020 has been 2003 since I have been on a carnival cruise.  Have been on RCI but now I want to try something different.  So love hearing what everyone thought of the Magic.  We are doing the cloud 9 spa cabin, have never been in one.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, Countrygurl said:

We've done that itinerary before, its a good time. San Juan and GT are two out of my 3 favorite ports (Halifax being the other). Youre right about the service in the atrium and ocean plaza but to be fair I've always viewed them as common areas, the lack of service never really bothered me or stuck out in those areas.

I cannot stress this enough. If you do any specialty restaurant. make sure you do the steak house. Awesome for sure. First and second night you get a FREE bottle of RED or White wine or 50% your special choice. Plus the gratuities ARE included.

A super deal for the $38.00 The steak house never disappoints on any Carnival ship.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 2:53 AM, islandcroozers said:

We just booked the Magic for next September. Looking forward to reviews since this will be our first time on Magic, 11th cruise overall. 

Will be on the Magic in September as well. Sailed on her last year - had to cancel  this past September at the last minute due to the lost of a family member.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:01 PM, eroller said:

Thanks for the review.  

I will write this date down in history, we actually agree on something.

My parents are HUGE RCI people... they also really love the Magic; they were trying to hop onto our trip this winter, but I nixed it, this is a do nothing kid and mom trip.  

I love the size, it's like just big enough to not feel crowded, but not so big like you get lost (which I've experienced on NCL and RCI).

Interesting about the service, but I wonder if they aren't as fully staffed during the slower seasons.  I'm interested to see how it is in a few weeks when we are on the Magic.  

• Like 1