What’s with the negativity?

Fincherson

6 hours ago, caribill said:

In many cases I find the negativity to really involve cutbacks (which are not just on Princess, but on every cruise line) that reduce the cruise experience that posters experienced in the past. These cutbacks can range from the physical (no walk-around outside Promenade deck, smaller balconies, etc. on new builds) to the on board experience (shorter shows in the main theater, elimination of Happy Hour drink pricing, etc.). Again, this is not just on Princess.

Of course there is also negativity when new technology such as the Medallion is introduced with much PR hype, but before really developed to the point it is ready for prime time.

I think you can look forward to a great vacation on Princess.

I totally agree with this statement as well, cutbacks, up-charges, etc, have all eroded what was a cruise experience! But also as said, this pertains to all lines. Cruise lines were once family owned businesses with career employees. They are now mass market, corporate entities. Today's cruising is not even close to what it was when we started in 1984. Service, policies, relaxation have all eroded. Some caused by business model, squeeze out every nickel you can, and some by basic societal changes. We see it everywhere in our lives so can't expect cruise companies to be any different.

Another part of the equation is the marketing which leads to newbies having higher expectations that the reality. You see people lounging at pool being served elegantly. Reality for most part crowded noisy pool areas. You see staff standing by on huge balcony while you are being served elegant meal. You find a tiny balcony, realize of such a meal with service is to be hand it costs $$$ and hardly worth it. Etc, etc...

That said cruising is still easier on the pocket book than many vacations thought that narrows as time goes by.

We sail them all, have for over 30 years, for most part each line, each ship, each itinerary creates small changes to the experience. Overall, basically pretty much identical products in majority of experiences.

We are sailing Sky Princess November 5th  2020 reposition NY to FLL. We used to sail that itinerary past years but stopped when they brought the Royal in for that. We were unhappy with the Royal only in balcony width. Often sailing with friends and opening balcony doors the far narrower ( couldn't turn chair to face sea so narrow ) we found balconies size to be something more of a problem for us than would be for many. The Sky is sister to Royal and Regal but we are hoping complaints were heard and the balconies were improved. No matter we are sure will be a great cruise.

We base most cruises now simply on costs. We took Sky because we got free gratuities, on board $150 each on mini-suite, and a discounted price with $100 refundable deposit on recent sale. We know longer want to pay gratuities, we used to love taking good care of the staff. Now just another area of eroded service and expected payment automatically deducted. Also another area of increase in amount sometimes couple times a year in recent past.

A small example, Princess offers a coffee card which my wife always purchased for me. Gave you 15 specialty coffees ( non-alcoholic ) and all the regular brewed coffee you wanted. A good alternative for a coffee drinker preferring fresh brewed versus syrup instant used by most lines for free serving. Originally like $28 and 15% gratuity was a card that they actually punched.  Now in 30's with 18%, put onto your account card. Used to be able to use it on any Princess ship within a year if didn't use all on that cruise, no more. Soon sure will be 20% higher price and maybe will drop coffee number. This as with all lines and services on land as well, less for more is the norm now. Like bed chocolates gone, all free room service now paid and free items etc.

All this makes even cruiseaholics like me complain more every year. Nothing wrong with letting line and fellow cruisers know what annoys you about changes. We cruise less every year, our best way of complaining. Will be on Anthem for Holiday Xmas cruise this year as we were last.

George in NY

10 hours ago, Fincherson said:

We just booked out first Princess Cruise (Sun Princess) after having previously sailed only Carnival and NCL. I was excited to get on Cruise Critic and join in on the fun/discussion on a new board, only to find it’s mainly negativity, rudeness and complaining. Am I missing something? Does Princess suck or are people generally more persnickety? Maybe I’m just reading the wrong threads? I’m kind of afraid to post this but I really want to know if I made a mistake giving Princess a try. Is it as mediocre as these posts make it sound?

o p don't let our regular cast of the Seven Dwarfs get ya down. Join a roll call, you will find that you have more in common with fellow posters than with Negative Nancy, Kill Joy, Wet blanket, Gloomy, Buzz Kill, Dismal and Curmudgeon. For some posters this is the only therapy they have. 

• Like 5

The biggest issue is that many of these folks have simply gotten bored with cruising. Yeah they remember how it used to be. But mostly they sound like spoiled children who need a nap. Health  issues forced  me to take a break from cruising  Was it different when we came back? Of course, but I sure couldn't find anything to complain about. What I really liked was not having to pay for things I didn't care about and overall paying less for the cruise. I think some of the gripes call it nickle and diming...

I mean really does any one CARE if some of these self entitled folk are taking land based vacations? I say alleluia. Less chance I end up sitting with them ti be lectured on how to cruise and what's wrong.

Of course as someone else said unless the ship sinks it's better than being at home

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

I mean really does any one CARE if some of these self entitled folk are taking land based vacations? I say alleluia. Less chance I end up sitting with them ti be lectured on how to cruise and what's wrong.

Dam those self-entitled folk! 

11 hours ago, Fincherson said:

We just booked out first Princess Cruise (Sun Princess) after having previously sailed only Carnival and NCL. I was excited to get on Cruise Critic and join in on the fun/discussion on a new board, only to find it’s mainly negativity, rudeness and complaining. Am I missing something? Does Princess suck or are people generally more persnickety? Maybe I’m just reading the wrong threads? I’m kind of afraid to post this but I really want to know if I made a mistake giving Princess a try. Is it as mediocre as these posts make it sound?

My husband and I love Princess.  Our next cruise is in February and we are really looking forward to it.  This will be our 7 th cruise with Princess, all in different ships.  Every single trip has been wonderful.  But the trip is also what you make it. ( In a spectacular 12 day cruise around the British Isles where we would  have redone the trip immediately, we heard others in departation day saying it was horrible!) 

Food is such a huge part of a cruise and Princess has always been incredible, especially when dealing with special dietary requirements. We have found that eating in the restaurants (as opposed to the buffet) is a key factor to enjoying the cruise.  You are less likely to overeat, the food is of amazing quality,  and you get waited on!  

Unfortunately, we have not had this experience on Celebrity or Norwegian.  In fact, the food in Norwegian was so bad that they were serving pink turkey on Thanksgiving day and they didn't even notice till I brought it to their attention!  On Celebrity at out table of 12 (6 random couples.  Dinner was the highlight of this Bermuda cruise despite the food) the plating ofwas inconsistent, where the same appetizer looked different from person to person, and at least one entree had to be sent back to the kitchen at each meal due to poor quality.  And the trip was so boring because there wasn't enough to do onboard.

Some really great thoughts and opinions here! I have also been a bit concerned with some of the negativity, and have no frame of reference to refute it, as this is our first Princess cruise, and our seventh ocean cruise. We have been on four European river cruises.  Having had the equally wonderful experience of living in Europe for a few years, we now tend to view cruises as a spectacular “delivery system” to visit many wonderful travel spots around the world. ....and to do this in style, unpacking once, and having a very relaxing and entertaining evening at the end of an otherwise hectic day of culture-immersion and sight adventuring! I doubt there is a really bad cruise experience when looked at from this perspective?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Fincherson said:

Sometimes when I read the posts on here I think that cruises must be the worst thing ever created by how some make it sound.  Fact is, I love cruising and I really love Princess and look forward to our upcoming cruise on Regal (November 17) which will be our 3rd time on this wonderful ship and 8th Princess cruise overall.  We've sailed RCCL, NCL and Disney as well and we have yet to have a cruise we didn't love but have been cruising Princess exclusively for 15 years now. We travel a great deal and make sure to do a cruise every 2-3 years since it is the only trip we take that apparently "I relax".  We love Princess for a lot of reasons, great service, good food, and very relaxed atmosphere but quite frankly plop me in the middle of the ocean with plenty to eat and a cocktail and you'd have a pretty hard time getting a complaint out of me.  I do speak with some wisdom however, as an Executive Chef for 35+ years, a resort owner in a family business all of my life and the owner of a hospitality consulting company and a Italian Culinary Tour company so I've been around the block in the travel world....and I understand the service industry.  Everyone has a different opinion of what they like or think is the perfect holiday and what brings good value and I am firm believer that when it comes to getting the most from your vacation it has as much to do with you the traveler as it is does with the place you are traveling too.  I can always find things to nit pick at when I travel but I just won't do it.....vacations are far too important to me, so I'm only concerned with the good.  So get on that Princess cruise and go and enjoy the Hell out of yourself.......they're awesome and you will have a great time!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Fincherson said:

I just read your post and have not read any of the other replies, so don't know what others are saying.  I can tell you, that Princess is one of the best if not the best.  I have been on several of the Princess ships and have had nothing but a great time on all.  I am not a negative person, but there is nothing negative to say on this subject.  I sure all can find some things that go wrong, but that is life.  IMHO, a cruise is about the journey and what you make of the journey is up to you.  If friends and family are with you, that even makes it greater.  You will meet new and interesting people and all the ships, no matter how old or how small or large will offer you the best time ever.  Your choice. 

• Like 4

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Princess Cruises!!!  We love Princess.  We will be going on the Sky Princess in just over a month (7-14 Dec) with a group of family and friends.  I can see into the future and see a great time, on an incredible boat, with a fantastic crew, and an abundance of fun!!!  Throw in some great food, a few adult beverages, and a terrific itinerary and nothing could be finer! 

Bottom Line:  being positive about things creates a positive aura around you and others see that. They want to be part of it and it makes them positive in their actions too.  So, ignore the Negative Nellies, think positive thoughts, enjoy every minute of your cruise (and all that excitement time pre-cruise), and then come back on here and brighten our days with your awesome review!! 

I'll be posting a Trip Report once I get back in December.  I don't ever do a Live Report because I like to disconnect from the world when I'm on vacation.  So, check the site in mid December and I'll give you the skinny on the Sky Princess!!!

• Like 3

A little update from earlier today since now, have read other post plus OP stating ship is Sky instead of Sun. 

Regarding CulinaryCruiseGuy's post...it was great as well as post from USCcruisecrazy.  Love these positive thinking people.  My DH and I plus 4 friends are cruising on the Sky Princess on January 11, 2020.  We have been on the Royal and Regal and love the Royal Class ships.  OP...you will not be sorry you have chose Sky Princess.  There is a post called Live from Sky Princess that was filled with great pictures and post from the Chris and Sandra (I think).  You will have to look back 2 to 4 pages to find that thread.  Would be worth your time.  OP...you will be so glad you chose Sky Princess...Promise. 

This will be my 16th cruise on Princess, so going as Elite.  One friend going is a retired doctor and it will be his first cruise.  So much fun to go with someone on their first cruise ever.

• Like 3

The one thing I like about princess is for the week or two we are on board is essentially not having to make a decision. We can choose different things but no need. You are hungry you eat (and generally are served.) want "entertained" just show up in the Piazza and you are entertained go to any of the multiple venues and you drink and are entertained. It's a relief not to have the hassle as you do on land based vacations of every meal deciding where to do what to eat, what do we do next etc etc.  I'm old so stille do the traditional dining thing. Nothing better than showing up to the MDR having your drink on its way, your bread basket just the way you want it etc. etc. been to most of the ports so either stay on the ship and beg or simply get off the ship and "bum" I like the small ships I like the royal class, In fact there isn't much I don't like. The only exception right now is where to go to church on Christmas on our Royal Christmas cruise. What's to gripe about? Sure I have had meals I didn't like, all one needs do is indicate to the wait staff you don't lie it and something else takes its place immediately. Realize that if you work as hard at making it as easy to make the staff serve you as herd as they try to make it great for you things are amazing from beginning to end. The first clue you normally get about a gripper is when they start to critique the buffett, you know they aren't on the same page as I. (but then with the exception of homemade ice cream i the afternoon I have never eaten in one. Don't woory about internet, or TV I leave all that at home and glad of it.

• Like 1

Welcome here!

Yes, it is true that some things are subjective.  And, some people are 'those complainers'.

A lot of good comments here on your thread!

I just wanted to add this.  We have sailed Princess.  Our last cruise was on the Regal Princess. (newer ship, sister Royal Class ship to the Sky).  And, for the huge part, we loved it!!!

However, yes, there are some things that we found were valid to complain about.  

You really have to look at these comments in an objective way.  Is this a general 'complainer's' review.  Were the person's expectations realistic.  (as mentioned in the post above)

My experience is that on the prior previous cruise, we had a totally excellent experience with dining.  And that was simply not the case on our last cruise on the Regal.  The menu was being changed over to the new menu and new recipes and new service procedures.  And, well,  just in my personal opinion, based on prior experience, it was not good. At all.

When something is taken away, that is perceived as a loss and a grievance.  And, is sometimes valid.

I think that is a valid type of complaint, and good information.

We LOVED the Regal, but based on prior experience, would notice the negative changes, and continuing of basic 'downsides', if we were to sail on the Sky.  Same tiny cabins, tiny balconies, tiny showers.  (Smallest of most any other cruise line).  The open deck areas which used to be the replacement for a Promenade Deck have been changed to outdoor dining areas for those who ware dining in those restaurants, and are no longer open deck areas.  So basically no Promenade type outdoor area on the sea.  The lovely deck area around the Adult Retreat Pool has been closed in with blue tinted glass, and each side of the ship is now a new row of cabins.  Which translates to even less deck area for even more passenger load.

Things like this ARE valid.  And it is good to be aware.  It is good to have realistic expectations.

Here is the takeaway...

When something is that great and people love it that much and want it to remain to be the best.  Like Princess has been, delivering a really great vibe and experience and cruise product....  It is like taking candy away from a baby when this is no longer there.  

There is the recent thread about how Princess did not get any of the main voter awards.   Whether the other cruise lines have the vibe and experience that somebody prefers is one thing.  When other lines have larger cabins, better food and dining, etc.. That is something more valid and tangible.

Edited by Wishing on a star

This is a very small sample size.  If you drilled down into the data, you'd probably find that 95% of the posts here come from the same 250 people.  (And the estimate of posters may be high by half.)  So what you have are 100-250 posters who are long-time Princess cruises who have seen the evolution/devolution of cruising in general and Princess cruises in particular.  They can't help but report on the changes, (which is a major purpose and benefit of this board after all), and editorialize along with their reports.  Since most corporate changes tend to screw the customer at some level, the changes that get reported will naturally come off as negative.  But in the end, ground yourself with two facts.  1) At any given hour of any given day, there are over 40,000 people sailing on Princess cruise ships, and only 100-250 people actively posting here. 2) The people who complain the loudest here probably have one or more Princess cruises booked for the future, so do they really think the product sucks?  Your first Princess cruise will establish your baseline and hopefully that baseline will please you.  It is inevitable, however, that your "baseline" will be a long time cruisers "new normal" and they may not like the new normal as compared to their baseline which was established 15 years ago.  To quote Vladimir in "Waiting For Godot": Nothing to be done.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Fincherson said:

Does Princess suck or are people generally more persnickety?

We're called curmudgeons, that's what we do for fun.  :classic_angry:

Seriously, whenever you are onboard a Princess ship generally all you see are smiles.  It's not scientific, but if you pay attention when in the elevators on board, people will talk to each other, compliment wardrobe, make positive comments and have fun...on an elevator.  That tells me the PAX are well treated.  Try doing that in an office building!  You don't see drunks staggering around the ship, getting into arguments or causing disruptions.  We may grouse at each other on these boards, but when someone asks a question about how to get more out of their experience, the people who were grousing at each other will offer the other positive suggestions to the questions.  Like almost every post on this thread says, the same people who grouse re-book with Princess time and again.

No, you didn't make a mistake booking a Princess cruise.  Welcome to our family!  :classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It's the internet. I call it keyboard courage.

In person they would run away.  🙄

My keyboard was nearly covered with watermelon smoothie.  This is just too funny.  "Keyboard Courage."  I will definitely remember that one.

As for the OP, you have hyper critical people in all areas of life, CC and the cruise line threads are no different in my experience.  And just like in real life, just take what you can use from these folks and do your best to ignore the rest.  While it does happen unfortunately, it is rare to have a "bad cruise."  You are on vacation, enjoy it to the best of your ability.  Focus on the itinerary.  And have fun!

We've been on three other cruise line and Princess is our favorite.

3 minutes ago, mamkmm2 said:

My keyboard was nearly covered with watermelon smoothie.  This is just too funny.  "Keyboard Courage."  I will definitely remember that one.

As for the OP, you have hyper critical people in all areas of life, CC and the cruise line threads are no different in my experience.  And just like in real life, just take what you can use from these folks and do your best to ignore the rest.  While it does happen unfortunately, it is rare to have a "bad cruise."  You are on vacation, enjoy it to the best of your ability.  Focus on the itinerary.  And have fun!

We've been on three other cruise line and Princess is our favorite.

And to think a week ago you were never going to Cruise PC again LOL......

• Haha 1

Just now, TNTLAMB said:

And to think a week ago you were never going to Cruise PC again LOL......

Different topic.  It had nothing to do with most of our experience on board ship.  I was referring to their business practices IF they didn't honor what they had put in writing.  They admitted their error and corrected their failure, we are giving them another chance.  If it happens again we'll be going with another cruise line.  You might try reading more for content and a little less snark for effect.  That way you'll have the entire story before you post.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Fincherson said:

I can't speak for everyone else...but I hope you have a blast and love your first Princess sailing. There are some complainers and petty people, but that's anywhere and with anything.  There's a bunch of great souls too. I'm sure you'll encounter plenty of the latter.

We love Princess cruise lines. Been sailing with them since 08. Before that, all Royal Caribbean. We're actually boarding the Caribbean Princess on Wednesday. Can't wait!

• Like 3