Iona Maiden / Naming

Host Sharon

We booked this earlier this year for ourselves and my mother. I received an e-mail headed "Important information about your cruise . . . "   so opened it thinking it for our cruise this weekend, only to read that it was addressed only to my mother  I haven't received anything in my name although I am the lead passenger

We have been to Norway of several times and think that the naming ceremony will far more interesting than calling in at Stravanger.  If it is anything like the atmosphere that was on board for P&O's 175th Anniversary Celebrations it will be a worthwhile experience.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Why would 'The Duke' be doing the opening ceremony, surely too busy with his Real Deal... 😊

Andy 

That's David you wally.Anyway he don't need a cruise,he's got a permatan,lol.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:41 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

Sounds a bit strange to have the naming ceremony after the maiden cruise.  Is this not tempting to incur the wrath of Neptune?

I was on Spectrum’s maiden voyage in April this year and I’m pretty sure the naming ceremony was not until it reached China, where it is now based. That was about 5/6 weeks after the maiden voyage as far as I know.

8 hours ago, Aandyjbkr said:

I was on this cruise but have transferred to an earlier cruise in June.  I really didn't fancy an overnight in Southampton.

Nothing wrong with Southampton, we could have hit the highlights together, would take about 15 minutes.. 

Andy 

We are on the maiden cruise on Iona. I’m not too bothered about a naming ceremony (as you would presumably have to be on the quayside to see it) but I am hoping that there are a few ‘treats’ during the cruise, even if they are chargeable (such as a good act in the Limelight Club, rather than the usual acts that seem to live on Britannia). Perhaps I am being naive? I think I read somewhere that you get a small free gift on a maiden cruise (unless P&O’s cost cutting has seen that off) but is there anything else we can expect on a maiden cruise (it’s our first)?

31 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We are on the maiden cruise on Iona. I’m not too bothered about a naming ceremony (as you would presumably have to be on the quayside to see it) but I am hoping that there are a few ‘treats’ during the cruise, even if they are chargeable (such as a good act in the Limelight Club, rather than the usual acts that seem to live on Britannia). Perhaps I am being naive? I think I read somewhere that you get a small free gift on a maiden cruise (unless P&O’s cost cutting has seen that off) but is there anything else we can expect on a maiden cruise (it’s our first)?

The Britannia maiden was a bit underwhelming. We did get a gift - a Wedgwood China cup and saucer, but little else in the way of treats. The cruise was enjoyable though and being on a brand new ship was special. I also hope for top class entertainment, especially in the Limelight club but if the example given earlier in this thread (a drag act comedian and diva who was a semi finalist on Britain’s Got Talent a few years ago) is anything to go by, we may be disappointed. At least Norway will be as beautiful as ever.

I was on the Queen Elizabeth Maiden. We had special welcomes/farewells in all the ports, a gift of a silver medal each plus a book on the ship, a special cocktail party, and for entertainment, an artist (Sheree Valentine Daines) painted a portrait of the captain while we watched and in Funchal we had Lulu and Kiki Dee come on board for a concert.

Looking at the cruise on a TA site it does not appear which implies it is full. I seem to remember it was close to being full some time ago. Only one cruise in the summer is showing fares at less than £100.00 pppn and that is only by a few pounds. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 9:14 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Stavenger is nice, but nowhere near as good as some of the other Fjord ports. 

Being onboard for the naming ceremony would be quite special so I would think carefully before cancelling. 

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise. 

Andy 

We are booked on July 4th Iona and cannot decide if we will stick with this date or change,

Phoned P&O this morning to try to find out what being on board for the naming ceremony will mean for us, special meal or party etc ? but the lady at P&O said they have no information about the format of that evening on board and we have to decide by 29th.

We booked on open and have one of the cabins with a larger balcony so we would not get that again if we change dates, so really not sure what to do, although missing Stavanger does not bother us too much and we will get an extra sea day to look around the ship. On balance I think we are tempted to stick with it. A bit of extra OBC for the missed port would be nice but I doubt that will happen.

Now we know why July 4th has not been available on the website for some time.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, daiB said:

Looking at the cruise on a TA site it does not appear which implies it is full. I seem to remember it was close to being full some time ago. Only one cruise in the summer is showing fares at less than £100.00 pppn and that is only by a few pounds. 

We enquired on board last week for this date and were offered the chance to join a list, they did not call it waiting, can't remember the wording. 

They did not say it was full, just that it had been removed from sale for the time being. 

I wonder if they are expecting cancellations due to the changes.?

Andy 

Changing direction slightly, it will be very interesting to see how they manage to stage a naming ceremony on the same day as a changeover and what will be expected of the pax on board.  Will they have free reign of the interior or outside decks or asked to attend specific venues to watch the naming ceremony?  Will all the VIPs be in a marquee shoreside rather than onboard?  Or have I got it all wrong (quite possible!) 😂

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Changing direction slightly, it will be very interesting to see how they manage to stage a naming ceremony on the same day as a changeover and what will be expected of the pax on board.  Will they have free reign of the interior or outside decks or asked to attend specific venues to watch the naming ceremony?  Will all the VIPs be in a marquee shoreside rather than onboard?  Or have I got it all wrong (quite possible!) 😂

Yes, until we have a clear idea of just what sort of naming ceremony is proposed, it is difficult to comprehend how it can take place without causing major disruption to a normal turnround process. Without a clear programme I don't believe I would want to be sailing on the 4th July cruise.

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes, until we have a clear idea of just what sort of naming ceremony is proposed, it is difficult to comprehend how it can take place without causing major disruption to a normal turnround process. Without a clear programme I don't believe I would want to be sailing on the 4th July cruise.

I haven't checked, but has the overnight in Southampton been added to allow for this? 

Andy