What is the cost benefit of a Studio Cabin compared to an Inside Cabin with a Solo Cruiser Discount?

As a Solo traveler,  during my research I have found an NCL Solo Studio Cabin to be way more expensive  than a regular Sail Away rate Inside Cabin with a Solo Cruiser Discount.  Is the Studio Cabin the really that much nicer for one person?

Plus, a regular Sail Away rate Inside Cabin with a Solo Cruiser Discount is available on a lot more cruises than a Studio Cabin is.

Just curious.

• Like 1

If it's a sail away rate inside there is no option to add a perk like the open bar, studio cabins get 1 choice. So if you were looking for the open bar that's a consideration.  The studio cabins are located inside the studio complex so there is added security as it's a card key only area.  You also have the studio lounge to enjoy.  I have stayed in one when I could have gotten an inside for less but I wanted to experience the studio room and was very pleased with it.  As a woman, having the added security was nice.  They had scheduled meeting for all solo guests and also planned dinners, shows together and even excursions. The studio lounge with it's snacks and coffee all day and night was cool too.

• Like 3

I think @SuiteRose summed it up pretty good.  Studio lounge with the available snacks, water, juice all day is a nice bonus plus the Studio cabin gets the free-at-sea perk while sail-away cabin does not so consider the value of that perk when comparing the cabins.  The solo meet is not open to just Studio guests so I wouldn't consider that a perk.

8 hours ago, The Wanderer_112358 said:

As a Solo traveler,  during my research I have found an NCL Solo Studio Cabin to be way more expensive  than a regular Sail Away rate Inside Cabin with a Solo Cruiser Discount.  Is the Studio Cabin the really that much nicer for one person?

Plus, a regular Sail Away rate Inside Cabin with a Solo Cruiser Discount is available on a lot more cruises than a Studio Cabin is.

Just curious.

Why not just book the studio, incur the additional costs and then tell us about your experience.  Was it worth the extra money for a smaller cabin?  I myself like a larger inside cabin at a lower sail away rate (unless a balcony is within reason).  I like to pinch pennies and save for the next cruise.

The lounge is nice, but if you're in an inside, you can find lots of places to hang out on the ship.  The main difference (moneywise) is the one perk.  If you don't want any perks, take the sailaway inside.  If you want one, make sure you're comparing a non-sailaway inside to the studio when you're making your comparison.

I always want the beverage package, so I usually take the studio, but sometimes the inside ends up being less expensive  even with the package.  Especially last-minute stuff.  

• Like 1

For me, I did not get an option to bid on an upgrade in a studio room.  I've heard the emails that are not guaranteed for everyone, so I don't know for certain that it was related to the fact that I was in a studio.  I do appreciate the option to potentially get a bargain on an oceanview.  For bids you need to pay "double" your bid if you traveling solo, but it's still nice to have the opportunity.

1) I like the drink package so a studio is often the more economical choice

2) I often prefer to pick my room which you always get to do with a studio (got stuck above the anchor on a gty once 🤮)

3) While the halls can be more secure in the studio area, I like them more because they're quieter

4) The lounge is nice - I often stop by when I'm in for the night to fill my water bottle up with ice water and often refill it for going off ship there too. The snacks are less to my personal liking. 

5) I think I prefer being on the higher decks and near the elevator - it's only down a few for 6/7/8 or up a few for the top decks - gty insides could stick you down on the bottom decks or way far from the elevators. 

6) If we're talking Bliss (and likely Encore) I really like the virtual window

7) I think the storage layout is better than the insides I've seen - I definitely prefer the setup over the oceanview I had on Sun. 

8 ) I like the larger bed without the crease in the middle, but that's minor

9) I do like the whole room edge lighting they have (that on some ships you can change colors - it was a much nicer wakeup to not be bright white light as soon as I turn a light on)

My preference would be an inside non-sailaway only if was significantly cheaper than a studio (I could have done an inside and saved like $10, not worth it for me). Likely the same for an oceanview room (def for a porthole room as I don't like them, maybe choose OV for a picture window). On all the sailings I've been on I'd drink the difference between sailaway and not so it's not worth it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Megalyn said:

For me, I did not get an option to bid on an upgrade in a studio room.  I've heard the emails that are not guaranteed for everyone, so I don't know for certain that it was related to the fact that I was in a studio.  I do appreciate the option to potentially get a bargain on an oceanview.  For bids you need to pay "double" your bid if you traveling solo, but it's still nice to have the opportunity.

Studios don't get to bid. I'm guessing because they can be harder to sell last minute + there's usually a floor for price (I don't think I've seen a studio under $700 and even under $800 is rare) as they choose not to slash and burn those prices. 

For me, besides getting a perk, I really enjoy the coffee machine in the lounge. Real bean to brew espresso, one type of latte, regular coffee and decaf. Nothing fancy, no froth or steam or whipped cream but really good first in the morning or late night and included in price.

Edited by Deb and Jack
Added words
  • Like 1

The Studio cabin on Bliss has a virtual window - basically just a large screen by your bed connected to an outside camera. Not as fancy as the virtual balcony on RC but hey, I liked it! Other ships just have a window to the corridor there, which makes less sense.

I enjoyed having access to the Studio Lounge and would book again for the convenience of the espresso machine, good grief did I ever take advantage of that. There was always ice water available, making it easy to fill my water bottle without a long trek to the Garden Cafe *, plus juice and light sweet snacks.

I'm booked for a solo trip in an inside cabin next summer so it'll be interesting to compare. Okay, I'm sailing solo in January as well, but it's in a mini-suite just a few steps away from the Observation Lounge so it doesn't count as a contrast...

* Are there other places to get water? There's the buffet, pool deck beverage station, and Observation Lounge, but I didn't see anywhere else.

• Like 1

All the main reasons I like the studios have already been mentioned... coffee, water, cabin location etc... but to add to that, the studio has been cheaper for me to book on each of the occasions I've booked one. 

I have done Studios twice on Epic and BA. Have no interest in a 99 sq ft room again. Don't need the so-called FREE beverage package. Furthermore, I think if a person chooses any of the other perks instead, it is a bad deal math-wise.

I prefer the sail away rate Inside Cabin which is much larger with the option to upgrade to a balcony, if the price is reasonable. Have been able to do this several times by just paying the difference close to sailing date. No bidding.

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction